Skip to content
What is Einkorn Flour? The First Cereal in History, 9 Benefits
- Einkorn flour is a type of flour produced from einkorn wheat, known as the ancestor of wheat species.
- Einkorn wheat, which has a history of 12 thousand years, is one of the first cultivated cereals in history.
- According to written sources, it was first cultivated in the Southeast Anatolian Region, that is, domesticated.
- Today, it is mostly grown in Kastamonu, and it is even known as Kastamonu einkorn by many people.
- Apart from Kastamonu, it is grown in Kars, Tekirdağ, Edirne and Erzincan, where winters are harsh.
- Worldwide, it is cultivated in Morocco, France, Balkan countries, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain and Yugoslavia.
- Siyez wheat is ground in stone mills and turned into flour.
- The most important feature that distinguishes einkorn flour from other flours is that its genetic structure has never changed from past to present.
- Einkorn wheat, which is the ancestor of the modern wheat we use in our homes today, is highly resistant to bad climatic conditions.
- It is single spikelet. It has a dense husk structure. Thanks to these features, it is resistant to cold, pests and diseases.
- So is einkorn flour healthy? Compared to modern wheat, the protein rate is higher. In addition, einkorn flour is richer in carotenoids.
- It contains less gluten than wheat flour and gluten chains are shorter than modern flour.
- It is a hard-to-process wheat variety.
9 Benefits of Genetically Modified Einkorn Flour
1) Rich in Nutritional Value
- Einkorn flour is rich in vitamins A, B, E and fiber.
- It contains folic acid, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, selenium and various minerals.
- With these features, it is healthier, more satisfying and nutritious than wheat bread.
2) Has a Low Glycemic Index
- The glycemic index of einkorn flour is lower than that of white flour. It does not suddenly raise blood sugar.
- It does not make you hungry for a short time like white bread, it keeps you full.
- Diabetic patients can consume bread made from einkorn flour instead of white bread by consulting a doctor or dietitian.
3) Accelerates Metabolism
- Thanks to the fiber and protein it contains, it accelerates the metabolism.
- It helps to lose weight.
4) Rich in Folic Acid
- Einkorn flour is rich in folic acid.
- Thanks to this feature, it can be used safely during pregnancy.
- The nutritional value of einkorn flour increases breast milk thanks to the vitamins and minerals it contains.
5) Maintains Digestive System Health
- Einkorn flour, which is a fiber-rich food, is easy to digest.
- Modern white flour has negative effects on the digestive system; however, einkorn flour helps the digestive system to work regularly.
- It prevents problems such as stomach bloating and constipation.
6) No Cholesterol
- Since einkorn flour does not contain cholesterol, it can be consumed by cholesterol patients.
- If you have a cholesterol problem, of course, you can consult your doctor and choose bread made from einkorn flour instead of white bread.
7) Rich in Unsaturated Fat
- Einkorn flour is a food rich in unsaturated fat, which is very beneficial for our health.
- Unsaturated fatty chain acids facilitate digestion and weight loss. Protects cardiovascular health.
8) Protects From Colon Cancer
- Thanks to the high fiber and vitamins in the einkorn flour, it protects the intestinal health.
- .. helps digestive system work better
- It reduces the factors that predispose to colon cancer.
9) Protects From Radiation
- The benefits of einkorn flour are endless!
- It is radiation resistant, meaning it does not absorb radiation.
Einkorn Flour Calories and Nutritional Values
- Einkorn flour, which is a very rich food in terms of nutritional value, contains complex carbohydrates.
- Einkorn flour, which has the feature of keeping it full for a long time, contains gluten, but its gluten content is very low when compared to wheat flour.
- If sour yeast is used while making bread from einkorn flour, the gluten rate will decrease even more.
- Since einkorn flour contains gluten, it is not recommended for people with celiac disease and gluten allergy.
- When the einkorn flour is examined in terms of calories; 100 grams of einkorn flour is about 340 kcal calories.
- This amount of einkorn flour contains 32 mg of calcium, 0.09 mg of vitamin E, 12 grams of protein, 9.72 grams of fiber and 1.78 grams of fat.
- Einkorn flour also contains vitamins B1, B2 and B12, sodium, phosphorus, zinc, folic acid, selenium and iron.
When is einkorn flour given to babies?
- Einkorn flour can be given to babies older than 6 months who have switched to additional food.
- Since einkorn flour contains gluten, it should not be given to babies with gluten allergy and babies with celiac disease.
You may also like...