Durian is really a different kind of fruit due to its overpowering smell and appearance. Durian fruit is a fruit grown in countries such as Thailand, Southeast Asia, Vietnam, and Malaysia. It is known for its smell rather than its taste. In fact, this fruit is not allowed to be brought to hotels, buses, subways, and airports.
What is Durian Fruit?
- Durian fruit is one of the most interesting fruits in the world. It is referred to as the king of fruits in Southeast Asia.
- In some regions, it is called the fruit of heaven and hell.
- The bad smell and the fact that the peel is full of thorns reminds of hell with its benefits and taste, has caused the fruit to be given this name.
- It has a fleshy and juicy structure with 6 compartments in its shell. The fleshy part can be in different colors (green, cream-yellow, gray-yellow).
- There are 6 yellow-brown seeds in the pods. When these seeds are consumed, there may be difficulty in breathing and exhalation.
- This fruit is often used in pastries and meat dishes in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand.
- The durian tree is a very tall tree with a height of more than 40 meters. It grows in rainy tropical countries.
- The leaves of the durian tree are flat and slightly hairy, and the outside of the fruit is covered with green, pointed spines.
- When the tree is between 5 and 10 years old, it begins to bear fruit. Fruit can weigh 2-3 kilos, sometimes even more than 3 kilos, with its peel.
- The fruit is so delicious and loved that the shape of the opera house, known as the symbol of the country in Singapore, was designed in the shape of durian fruit.
- After the peel, a tart flavor welcomes you. But the fruit is quite oily. According to the Thais, if this fruit is consumed with alcohol, it will make you gain extra weight.
- 100 grams of durian fruit gives 153 calories of energy.
- Due to its foul and pungent smell, durian fruit is forbidden to be brought into hotels in Indonesia. In Singapore, you cannot take the subway or bus with this fruit with you.
- Durian fruit is sold as a whole or in pieces. The fruit has many different uses.
- If it is to be eaten raw, it is recommended to be eaten cold. This fruit can also be consumed by boiling it with sugar just like compotes.
- It can be used to enhance the flavor of ice cream. The fleshy part of the fruit can be fermented and consumed in containers made of soil. It can be canned. The bark part is used for whitening the silk.
What Are the Benefits of Durian Fruit?
Durian fruit is a fruit that is good for many ailments from insomnia to anemia. Durian fruit benefits:
- It contains high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants.
- It is very rich in potassium.
- Increases body resistance.
- It helps to excrete free radicals in the body through the urinary tract.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- The copper in its content is very necessary for the production of blood cells.
- It gives energy and rejuvenates the body.
- It is known that it is good for epilepsy patients thanks to its calming properties.
- It is easy to digest.
- Its soft meat does not contain cholesterol and saturated fat.
- It is rich in B vitamins.
- Regulates nerve cells. It is known to be especially good for depression.
- Helps control blood pressure.
- It contains high levels of magnesium, copper, manganese, and iron.
- It is good for insomnia.
- With the amino acids, it contains, it provides the secretion of melatonin and serotonin hormones.
- One serving of durian fruit covers 20% of the daily carbohydrate requirement.
- It contains a high amount of fiber.
- It is useful in healing wounds.
- It has an anti-aging effect.
- It protects against heart diseases.
- It raises good cholesterol.
- It contains manganese, which is very beneficial for skin and bone health.
- It has beneficial effects on muscle and nerve health.
- 1 portion of durian can meet 20% of the daily folic acid requirement.
- It is also known to have a laxative effect on constipation problems.
- Its rich fiber content reduces the waiting time of toxins in the intestine.
- Helps protect the mucous membrane of the colon.
Where Does Durian Fruit Grow?
- The homeland of durian fruit is Southeast Asian countries, such as Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam, as we mentioned before.
- Durian fruit is a tropical fruit and grows in places with abundant rainfall.
- It likes well-drained, deep, clay or sandy soils.
- It blooms twice a year. It bears fruit twice.
- Ripe fruits fall to the ground. This way it is easily collected.
- It is recommended to wait 2 – 4 days for it to mature before eating.
- It does not grow in any other region except South Asia. Even if grown, it won’t taste as good as in Southeast Asia.
What Does Durian Fruit Smell and Taste Like?
- Durian fruit smell is quite sharp. For this reason, it is not allowed to be brought into closed areas.
- The fruit is said to smell pretty bad.
- The taste of durian fruit is somewhat difficult to describe. It tastes like sweet onion pudding.
- According to some, the fruit tastes like cream.
- According to Southeast Asians, durian fruit tastes like heaven; but it smells like hell.