How to Roast Peppers? In oven, Pan, BBQ, Airfryer
Peppers are available in green, yellow, orange, and red. The green pepper tastes slightly bitter and the red the sweetest. Peppers are widely used in all cuisine for their taste. A bell pepper tastes even better when it is roasted. But how to roast peppers?
Bell peppers can be roasted in the oven, in the grill pan, in the airfryer, on the barbecue, and on the stove. You can do this with whole or chunks of peppers. Then peel and sprinkle with oil and salt and pepper. Or store in a jar with garlic.
Different ways of roasting or grilling peppers are discussed below. If you have a lot of peppers and want to know how to store them, read our blog ‘ How to store peppers? ‘ and you always have fresh bell peppers at home.
Grilling or roasting bell peppers can be done in different ways, namely:
- In the oven
- In the air fryer
- on the barbecue
- In the pan
- On the stove
You all end up with the same result, roasted peppers. We will now cover them all.
Grill Peppers in Oven
We grill in the oven with whole peppers. Soon we will also be roasting pieces of peppers, but first the whole pepper. What are you going to do?
- First, clean the peppers under the tap and dry the peppers with a tea towel. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200-225 degrees.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on the baking tray and place the whole peppers on it. Slide the baking sheet into the oven in a high position and close the oven. After 10 minutes, check and turn the peppers with tongs and close the oven.
- It will take about 20-25 minutes for the peppers to be ready. You can tell if they are ready, the skin of the peppers should be blackened in some places.
- Now remove the peppers from the oven and place them in a plastic bag and seal it. Or put them in a bowl and cover the bowl. Let them rest for 15 minutes (you can easily get the skin off afterward).
- Remove the bell pepper from the bag and remove the skin from the bell pepper by hand. Then cut open the pepper and remove the stem and seeds.
Now you have delicious paprika that you can eat right away. You can also drizzle them with oil and salt and pepper.
Roast Peppers in Oven
You can also roast peppers in the oven. It doesn’t have to be a whole pepper. What are you going to do about roasting the bell pepper pieces in the oven?
- Cut the peppers into 2 or 4 pieces and remove the seeds.
- You can grease the insides of the peppers with oil, but you don’t have to. Place the peppers on baking paper on the baking tray with the skin side up.
- Now slide the bell pepper to the highest position in the oven that has been preheated to 200 degrees.
- Check after 15 minutes how it goes because the skin should turn black but not char.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and place them in a sealable plastic bag or place them in a dish and cover the dish. After cooling, you can easily remove the skin.
- After 15 minutes you take them out of the bag and you can remove the skin with a sharp knife.
Now cut the bell pepper into strips, cubes or leave them whole and serve. Enjoy your meal.
Roast Peppers in Airfryer
Roasting in the Airfryer is very fast, faster than in the oven and just as tasty. It’s easy to do, just follow the steps below.
- Wash the peppers under the tap and preheat the airfryer to 200 degrees.
- Put the peppers in the airfryer, the roasting time is about 10 minutes.
- You can tell if they’re ready by the black spots on the sheet and bubbling. If not, let them roast longer.
- Then take them out of the airfryer and put them in a sealable plastic bag or put them in a bowl and cover it. Now let it rest for 15 minutes. After this you can easily remove the skin.
- Then remove the skin with a sharp knife and remove the stem and seeds.
Now the peppers are ready. Serve with your dish or sprinkle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Squeezing in garlic also tastes delicious.
Peppers Grilling BBQ
Well, grilling bell peppers on the barbecue is of course really a party to do. But you can’t just grill peppers on the BBQ. You can grill many types of vegetables on the barbecue.
You can do the following to grill peppers:
- A whole pepper that has been washed under the tap goes straight onto the grill of the bbq. Place it where it is not the hottest. Or thread the peppers onto a skewer and place them on the BBQ.
- When the side on the rack is charred and the skin begins to bubble, turn the peppers over. Continue this until you’ve had the whole pepper.
- You can also first cut the bell pepper into pieces and remove the seeds. Then grease the inside of the bell pepper with oil and first place the bell pepper with the skin on the grid. Turn over and toast the other side when the skin is blackened.
- Then put the whole pepper or pieces in a plastic bag and seal it. You can also put them in a bowl and cover it. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Then remove the skin and clean the pepper.
Now make oil with two cloves of garlic crushed and sprinkle the peppers with it. Delicious!
Grilling Peppers in Pan
Grilling bell peppers in the pan is actually only good with pieces of bell pepper. Grilling a whole bell pepper in the grill pan is not an option. This takes a very long time.
What are you going to do? Follow the instructions below:
- Cut the bell pepper into large pieces and remove the stem and seeds.
- Coat the bell pepper pieces with oil foil and place in the grill pan over medium/high heat.
- Turn the peppers occasionally. The pepper is ready when the skin is charred and bubbly. You can also pierce it with a fork to feel if it is soft.
- Now put it in a sealable plastic bag and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Then remove the skin and serve.
Place the peppers on a plate and sprinkle with coarse salt and black ground peppercorns. Enjoy your meal!
Roast Peppers on Gas stove
The last method of roasting peppers on the gas stove. This is only possible if you have gas burners and of course, you already guess what you are going to do?
- Turn the gas burner on to the highest setting and place the whole pepper on the burner. Now it’s a matter of waiting.
- You can turn the peppers occasionally with tongs.
- The pepper is ready when the outside is blackened.
- Then put the peppers in a plastic bag and seal it. Now, wait 15 minutes.
- Open the bag and take out the bell pepper. Remove the skin and further clean the pepper, remove the seeds.
Cut the bell pepper into the desired pieces and of course a little sea salt and pepper on top. Also delicious with crushed garlic.
Roasting and Storing Peppers
You can also store them after roasting peppers. Roast the peppers according to one of the above methods.
Take a pot that is clean, preferably boiled in hot water. Add the bell pepper pieces and top with a good quality olive oil.
You can add spices to give the roasted peppers your own taste. For example, think of two whole peeled cloves of garlic. You can also roast this garlic with bell pepper.
You can also put a sprig of fresh thyme or rosemary in the pot. The longer you leave peppers in the pot, the more flavor the spices will give off.
Depending on the quality jar you used, it needs to be airtight, if you want to store it for a longer period of time, you can keep a jar of bell pepper in the fridge for about 3 months. The pot must be spotless!
Roasting Peppers for Soup
Roasted paprika is delicious for use in the soup, it has a mildly sweet grilled taste.
Roasting the peppers is described above. So pick your method and get started. It doesn’t matter which method you use for the soup. Choose the method that is easiest for you.
You can cut the bell pepper into pieces and add it to the soup and leave it like that, but you can also puree it. The bell pepper gives off its flavor to the soup.
How Long to Grill Peppers
We often get the question how long should you grill a bell pepper? This cannot be stated unambiguously. It depends on the size of the pepper, is it an old or fresh pepper? In short, we must use our eyes.
Bell pepper is ready when it has turned black on the outside and is bubbling. Prick it with a fork to feel if the bell pepper is soft, what it should be.
To help you on your way with the time:
- in the oven for about 20 minutes
- in the air fryer 10 minutes
- in the grill pan 10 minutes
- On the bbq, you can only use your eyes and pierce the peppers.
Good luck roasting your peppers. Hope you like it.