How to Use an Oven? How to Adjust the Temperature, Program?
When cooking, our focus is mostly on recipes and measuring ingredients. However, cooking methods and the use of cooking equipment are also very important for a delicious meal. Especially in foods cooked in the oven, the characteristics of the oven and its correct use directly affect the taste of the food.
Especially in pastries, even though you follow the recipe exactly, you can’t get the result you want. Cakes that don’t rise, donuts that are almost petrified on the outside…. Many people have encountered such sad sights in the kitchen. In fact, if you know the oven a little better and know its settings well, you can eliminate all these negativities.
In this article, we will share basic information about the use of the oven for you and look for answers to questions such as “how to open the oven”, “how to operate the oven”, “how to adjust the oven temperature” . If you are ready, let’s get started without wasting time!
How to Use an Oven? How to Adjust the Temperature, Program?
As many of you know, ovens have temperature/temperature, time and cooking program selections. There is even a note in some recipes that the cooking time may vary from oven to oven. Indeed, the cooking time of each oven may be different. For this reason, it is really necessary to know the oven well.
After the oven is turned on, first the oven temperature degrees and cooking time are set. After that, it’s time to choose the oven’s cooking program. At this point, we should say that there are some basic information you need to know. Because oven cooking settings affect the flavor of the food.
If we need to give an example; For dishes that you want to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, you should run your oven in a turbo, in other words, fan program. If you cook such dishes in the upside-down cooking program, all sides of your food will be cooked evenly. In this case, the result can be a complete disappointment.
Let’s share with you the answers to the questions ” how to set the oven”, “how to set the oven upside down and how to set the oven fan “ without wasting any more time!
For Those Who Want to Cook Evenly on All Sides: Top & Bottom Cooking – Fanless Program
- When it comes to using an oven, the most frequently asked questions are “cake oven setting”, “bread oven setting” and cookie oven setting.
- Upside down cooking program in ovens is also known as fanless program. In some recipes, it can go this way as well.
- This program is the most commonly used traditional cooking program.
- If you choose to cook it upside down, all parts of the food will be cooked equally.
- This program is ideal for foods that are cooked slowly at high temperatures.
- For example, you can select this program for dishes such as whole turkey or chicken.
- In addition, this program is also used for pastries such as bread and cakes that are cooked evenly on all sides.
- This program is the secret of the crunchy cookies that melt in your mouth.
- In this program, the oven does not activate the fan function. Therefore, all sides of the food are cooked equally. Pastries rise as you wish.
- Let’s give a few more tips; If you preheat the oven, the baking powder will activate and the pastries will rise much better. Therefore, before cooking in this program, make sure to run the oven empty for about 10 minutes.
- Place the baking tray on the middle rack. Any other trays etc in the oven. Make sure there is no material. So only cook one meal at a time.
Barbecue Taste: Grill Program
- Who doesn’t love barbecue? How about catching the taste of barbecue in the oven? This is very easy to do thanks to the grill setting in the oven.
- First of all, run your oven on the grill program. Then place the meat you want to cook on the top shelf of the oven, on the wire shelf. In this way, the meat is sealed with the high heat coming from the top and the inside becomes soft as if it was barbecued.
- We will also have a small warning for those who will grill in the oven. Fat may leak from the meat into the oven. For this reason, you should not neglect to put an empty tray on one of the lower shelves of the oven.
- Otherwise, cleaning the oven afterwards can turn into pure torture.
The Secret of Crispy Outside: Turbo Cooking – Fan Program
- The oven turbo setting is also known as fan cooking.
- In this program, the heat is evenly distributed throughout the oven thanks to the oven’s fans.
- The Turbo program offers the opportunity to cook in a shorter time compared to the back and forth cooking. You can also cook more than one dish at the same time in this program. That is, you can place more than one tray on the shelves of the oven.
- In the fan program, you can cook any dish you want to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. This program is ideal for meat and vegetable dishes.
- However, we should state that this program is not suitable for foods that need to rise, such as cakes, pastries, and bread.
- If you cook pastries with this program, they will most likely remain raw.
Bottom Cooking Only: Crispy on the Bottom, Soft on the Top
- By setting your oven to the lower heating program, you can prepare crispy and soft meals.
- Try cooking the pizza you prepared for the crispy pizza dough with this program, we are sure you will not regret it!
- If you cook the pizza in the fanless program, the ingredients on it may cook faster and burn, since all sides will be cooked at the same time.
- For a delicious pizza, first turn on the bottom cooking and cook the dough, and in the last 5-10 minutes, turn on the top heating and let the top ingredients cook.
- In this way, you can prepare a pizza worthy of kings, with its crunchy dough, which enchants the eater.
Determining the Appropriate Temperature
So how should the oven temperature be set?
- It is suitable for cold and slow cooking at 110 -140 ºC.
- You can set the oven to 150 – 160ºC for the foods you want to cook slowly.
- It is ideal for foods that need to be cooked at a medium temperature of 180 – 190 – 200 ºC.
- It is for foods that need to be cooked at 220 – 230ºC quickly and at high temperatures.
- 250 – 260ºC is suitable for foods that need to be cooked at very hot temperatures and quickly.
One of the Important Questions: Which Rack Should I Put the Baking Tray on?
- We answered the question of how to set the oven. However, knowing the program settings is not enough in order to benefit from all the features and functions of the oven.
- In order to achieve the desired result for oven dishes, you must place the tray or grill in the oven in the correct position.
- The top shelf of the oven is suitable for dishes that need to be cooked quickly at high temperatures.
- Medium level is ideal for dishes that need to be cooked with more moderate heat. If you want the food, meat or pastry to cook evenly on all sides, you should place the tray at the middle level.
- The lower level is for dishes that need to be cooked at a lower temperature and slowly.