Recipe With Red Cabbage – soft and delicious!
Recipe With Red Cabbage
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes
A recipe with red cabbage in combination with apple and cinnamon is of course a present to eat. After about half an hour, the red cabbage, steaming and spicy, is on the table. You can also get the red cabbage pre-sliced, which saves some time, but you can also quickly cut it yourself. Before I start the recipe with red cabbage, I wrote down some tricks that might be easy for you to know. Have fun cooking!
Nice to know:
- The ‘heart’ of the red cabbage is the white part in the middle, at the bottom of the red cabbage with the ‘butt’. Cut this and throw it away.
- If you want one bay leaf in your red cabbage, and no onion, stick the cloves in the bay leaf to avoid losing it, instead of the onion.
- You can use any apple you have or like, but the golden rennets are a bit harder and have a longer flavor.
- Do not cook the apples for more than a few minutes (7 to 10 minutes) because that will lose the taste and texture of the apple and you will not taste it much.
- You cannot eat the cinnamon stick and cloves (and possibly the bay leaf), which you throw away after cooking.
- In between, always taste what you think of the taste so that you can add some spices or sugar.
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 apples, for example golden reinets
- 150 ml orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 scoops of brown sugar
- 1 onion, peeled
- Cut the red cabbage in half and place the cut sides on the cutting board. Then cut the cabbage in half again so that you have 4 quarters.
- Cut the heart out of the red cabbage. Now cut the red cabbage into thin strips.
- Peel the 2 apples and cut the sides away along the core. You throw the core away. Cut the rest into cubes of 1.5 to 2 centimeters.
- Place the red cabbage in a large saucepan and add the orange juice and brown sugar.
- Insert the cloves into the onion (thin side). Add the whole onion, with cloves, to the red cabbage.
- Place the pan on the stove and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- After cooking the red cabbage for 23 minutes, add the apples and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Taste the red cabbage and ask yourself if it is cooked (otherwise let it boil for a while). Add some salt if necessary.
- Place the red cabbage in a bowl and remove the onion, cloves and cinnamon stick. You throw this one away.