Pasta gumbo style – the ultimate fusion
Pasta gumbo style
Gumbo is traditionally a Louisiana dish – it’s a delicious and well-stocked stew with sausage and shrimp. As a kind of ultimate fusion, this time I combined a pasta dish with the gumbo flavors. And also added cheese, which of course is not original at all. But tasty!
Most of this dish is already prepared in the pan. You complete it by adding a nice creamy cheese sauce.
You should actually use andouille sausage for this dish. This sausage is well known in Cajun cuisine and also in French cuisine, the two overlap – but are certainly not the same. Now the cajun version of this sausage is not very well available in the Netherlands. If you can’t find it, but if you want to make this pasta gumbo style, you can also replace it. The easiest way is to use a good chorizo sausage instead. Fortunately, you can find them everywhere in the Netherlands!
Because everything for the pasta gumbo is already ready when it goes into the oven dish, you only need about 15 minutes to put the finishing touch by giving the cheese a nice golden brown crust.
Gumbo style pasta with sausage and shrimp recipe
PREPARATION TIME: 45 min CALORIES: 907 kcal Persons: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks cut into cubes
- 1 green pepper diced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 tbsp cajun spice mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh thyme mince
- 200 gr raw shrimps cleaned
- 150 gr spicy andouille sausage in slices (alternative chorizo if no andouille is available)
- 1 chicken fillet in cubes
- 250 gr fusilli pasta
- 5 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 125 ml of milk
- 60 ml whipped cream
- 150 gr grated cheese
- 100 gr grated cheese for extra
- 1 bunch of flat parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and celery and fry until translucent.
- Add paprika and garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add cajun spices, salt and thyme and fry for a few more minutes. Remove the mixture and return the pan to the heat. Now add the shrimp, sausage and chicken and fry until the chicken is well cooked. Put back on a plate and put the pan back on the fire again.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour, stir until well blended. Slowly whisk in the milk and cream and beat until smooth. Lower the heat and let it simmer until it thickens.
- Now add the 150 g grated cheese. Now mix everything together. So pasta, meat, shrimp and the cheese sauce.
- Put the pasta in a greased oven dish and sprinkle with the extra grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has turned golden brown.
- Finish with the chopped parsley
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER SERVING
Calories: 907 kcal
Carbohydrates: 60 g
Protein: 53 g
Fat: 50 g
Saturated fats: 23 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 282 mg
Sodium: 1789 mg
Potassium: 865 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 2764 IU
Vitamin C: 51 mg
Calcium: 560 mg
Iron: 4 mg
The stated nutritional value is based on standard tables and therefore an estimated total. No rights can be derived from the information in the nutritional table.