Are pistachios good for you
Are pistachios good for you? In this blog, we will give you an answer to this question and also discuss the many health benefits of pistachios. Many people know that nuts are a healthy snack. Almonds and walnuts are therefore very popular, both loose and in pastries and other dishes.
However, there are many more types that can have a beneficial effect on your health, and these are often unfairly overlooked. Pistachios are a typical example of a type of nut that should be eaten more!
Do you never actually have those little green nuts on the shelf, but are you curious what you can do with them? Today we will explain why pistachios are so healthy!
Are pistachios good for you; Pistachios nutritional value
Pistachios are one of the slimmest of all nuts. They contain about 560 calories per 100 grams. That is a lot less than, for example, pecans, with which you get almost 700 calories per 100 grams! The calories come from fats and proteins. In addition to essential macronutrients, pistachio also contains all kinds of vitamins and minerals.
They are especially an important source of vitamin E, with almost 50% of the RDA in 100 grams of nuts. You will also find many B vitamins in it. As for the minerals, pistachios are high in magnesium, potassium, selenium, calcium, iron and zinc.
With such a wide range of micronutrients, it is not surprising that the pistachio is seen as a particularly healthy nut!
Are pistachios good for you; Healthy fats and fiber
Some people are a bit reluctant to eat nuts if they want to lose weight. They assume that the many fats will hinder them. The image that fats are unhealthy fatteners is clearly persistent! Fortunately, you really don’t have to worry about this: the fats in pistachio are mainly unsaturated. They are good for your cholesterol.
In addition, pistachio contain a relatively large amount of fiber. The concerns that you feel long-term saturated faster. This way you eat less unhealthy products and they help you to keep your weight!
Pistachios have all kinds of beneficial effects on your body, according to research. Below we give you a list of reasons why pistachios are so healthy.
- Lower cholesterol. LDL cholesterol is the kind that clogs your arteries. Research shows that you can greatly reduce this by regularly eating a handful of pistachios.
- Healthy heart. Not only the lowered cholesterol reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. The healthy omega 3 fatty acids and the various antioxidants also help your heart to stay healthy.
- Less inflammation and cell damage. Pistachios are rich in various antioxidants, such as beta-carotene and lutein. They help to combat aging, prevent cell damage and dissolve inflammation in your body.
- Stable blood sugar. Pistachios contain substances that keep your blood sugar level more balanced. This reduces the risk of type II diabetes. Even if you already have diabetes, pistachios are also able to reduce the fluctuations.
- Losing weight. Research has shown that a serving of pistachio as a snack can support weight loss. Of course, this only applies when the rest of your diet is in order!
How do you eat pistachios?
Many people use pistachio as a snack. But did you know that you can also use them excellently in sweet and savory dishes? Pistachios are delicious in cakes, for example. You can also use them as a substitute for ground beef to make a vegetarian version of a recipe.
An extra tip if you use the nuts as a snack: rather buy unpeeled nuts than the easy, peeled version in the supermarket. Research shows that you eat almost half the nuts if you spend longer peeling, without feeling less full! This will prevent you from snacking too enthusiastically and taking in more calories than you intended!
Because no matter how healthy something is, the calories remain important!