How to roast walnuts? In the pan without oil or butter, toast halved walnuts for 5 minutes, turning regularly. In the oven at 175 degrees, 8-10 minutes and turn once. In the air fryer for about 10-12 minutes. Do not use oil. Season with agave syrup and/or herbs, if desired.
Walnuts are very healthy nuts. They are packed with nutrients and the doctors tell us they also lower cholesterol. They are also known as a superfood. You can read all about this in our blog ‘ Are Walnuts Healthy? ‘. Here you can read all about the health benefits of walnuts.
How To Roast Walnuts?
There are several options for roasting walnuts. Below is discussed roasting in the pan, the oven, in the airfryer and roasting walnuts with honey and herbs.
Roasting itself is not that difficult. For roasting we use cracked walnuts. If you have walnuts in the shell, you have to crack them first. You can do this with a nutcracker or with your hands. Place two walnuts in the palm of your hand and now squeeze the palm firmly. Now one of the two nuts will crack. Or use a heavy object to crack them like a rolling pin.
Now that the walnuts are cracked, the nut is halved and the skin removed as much as possible. Now we can start roasting walnuts.
Roasting Walnuts With Honey In Pan
We start by roasting the nuts in a pan with honey as well. Nowadays I use agave syrup instead of honey. This is just as tasty and better for the animals, hence. But honey is also possible.
- Place a sauté pan or frying pan on the heat source on a medium-high setting and heat the pan well. Do not use oil or butter!
- Place a layer of walnuts in the pan. Put as many nuts in the pan so that you only have one layer. They should not be on top of each other.
- Keep turning the walnuts in the pan while you’re toasting. They should slowly turn golden brown and start to give off a wonderful scent. This happens after about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place the walnuts in a large bowl or on baking paper to cool.
- During roasting, the oil is released from the nut and it now has the chance to be reabsorbed by the nut. The cooling time in about 60 minutes.
Now sprinkle walnuts with agave syrup or honey to make them nice and sweet. Add the agave syrup as needed. Enjoy your meal!
Walnuts Roasting Oven
Roasting walnuts in the oven is just as easy as in the pan. You also use cracked and halved walnuts for this.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and place a sheet of baking paper on it. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- Place a layer of halved walnuts on the baking paper and make sure that the walnuts are not on top of each other.
- When the oven is warm, the walnuts go into the oven.
- Now roast the walnuts for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the walnuts over and place the baking sheet back in the oven.
- Roast the walnuts again for 4-5 minutes.
- Watch carefully, because the walnuts can burn quickly. The walnuts are ready when they have a golden brown color and a delicious nut scent.
- Remove the walnuts from the oven and place on a large platter to cool. This takes about an hour and this gives the nuts the chance to absorb the oil again.
The walnuts are now ready to be served and of course eaten. Enjoy your meal.
Roasting Walnuts Airfryer
The airfryer is a perfect device for roasting walnuts. Again you use cracked and halved walnuts as described above. If you’ve never done it, try it out with a small handful of walnuts first.
- Heat the airfryer to 150 degrees and put the halved walnuts in the basket.
- Replace the basket and roast for 4 minutes. Remove the basket and shake the walnuts, then replace.
- Fry again for 4 minutes and then toss walnuts again.
- The nuts should be toasted after 12 minutes, but I recommend checking earlier.
- They should be golden brown in color and smell wonderful. Sometimes they even crackle a bit, but that’s part of it.
- Remove the nuts from the basket and place them in a large bowl where they can cool for 60 minutes. Now the walnut can absorb the released oil again.
The walnuts are now ready to be served and eaten. You can also add spices to the walnuts.
Roasting Walnuts With Herbs
You can also give walnuts your own ‘personal touch’ by seasoning them nicely. The herbs and other seasonings are added when the walnuts have cooled for 15 minutes.
Well, what spices can you add? That is entirely at your own discretion. Paprika powder, for example, or cayenne pepper, rosemary or cinnamon. It just depends on what spices you like.
Are you in doubt? Then season one nut first to taste it. Or make small bowls of walnuts with different spices. So everyone can make their own choice.
You can also flavor them with agave syrup or caramelized sugar, also delicious.