How to Roast Chickpeas – In Oven, Pan Or Airfryer?
How to roast chickpeas? You can roast chickpeas well in an oven, pan or airfryer. So in all. It’s a no-brainer. Perhaps the hardest part is choosing the right herbs. It is of course the question whether you want to roast the chickpeas to make a kind of cocktail nuts or as a side dish with a hot meal or lunch. Anyway, roasting chickpeas to enjoy them is the goal of this blog.
To roast chickpeas until golden brown, you can proceed as follows: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Drain the chickpeas well and place them on an oven tray covered with baking paper. After 20 minutes, toss the peas and let them roast in the oven for another 10 minutes.
We also have a blog on how to make chickpea flour.
To inform you extensively about roasting chickpeas, we start with roasting chickpeas in the oven.
Chickpeas Roasting Oven
Chickpeas are fine roasting in an oven. A few preparations are needed, but then it happens like this:
- Turn the oven on to 200 degrees to preheat it.
- To roast the chickpeas, simply put them in the colander and rinse them. Rinse them well with water because the proteins in the liquid ensure that the peas do not become crunchy. Now drain the peas on kitchen paper.
- Place baking paper on the grid.
- Mix spices with some oil and stir well.
- Place the peas on the baking sheet and spread them well. When you put them on top of each other, the bottom chickpeas cannot roast.
- Place the baking tray, with deliciously seasoned chickpeas, in the middle of the oven and let it roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the plate and stir the peas. Put them in the oven for another 15 minutes (or longer, judge for yourself the golden brown color) and your delicious crispy peas are ready to be consumed.
Herbs, which you can use when roasting the chickpeas as a snack and/or as a side dish, are completely focused on the person. Everyone likes different spices or spice combinations. If you want to bake herbs, make sure that this is mixed with some oil, otherwise the herbs will burn. Fresh herbs can be added after baking, such as coriander.
The amount of herbs is at your discretion. It depends on the amount of chickpeas you are going to roast and how much you like herbs or spices. Taste when you’ve added herbs and you’ll know if it needs to be added or if it’s enough. Add the spices little by little, otherwise it might be too much and you’ll have to start over. Spice combinations that are tasty:
- garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder
- (smoked) paprika powder with some salt. The smoked paprika can dominate, so be careful with that
- salt and fresh chopped coriander, sprinkle after baking
- cajun seasoning and salt
- Italian spice mix with some salt
- Agave syrup with cinnamon (very surprising)!
We also wrote a blog about preparing chickpeas.
Chickpeas Roast Pan
Here too the preparations are as described above. Rinse the peas in a colander, drain well on kitchen paper.
To fry chickpeas in the pan, you can cover it with flour. You proceed as follows:
- Take a handful of flour and add the dried herbs you have chosen. Mix this with the flour.
- Mix the peas with a little oil and then with the spicy flour.
- Pour some oil into the pan and heat it well. Place as many peas in the pan as possible to roast well. Roll the chickpeas occasionally until they are golden brown and taste if they are to your liking. Maybe you want them very crunchy and leave them another ’round’. Are they seasoned enough or do you want to sprinkle some more on top. That is possible, but then you should not bake them too long, otherwise the herbs will burn.
- Remove the delicious peas from the pan. Roast all chickpeas in this way.
Roasting Chickpeas Airfryer
You can also roast chickpeas crispy in the airfryer. You proceed as follows:
- Rinse the chickpeas well in a colander and let them dry on a kitchen towel or paper.
- Add herbs of your choice to a tablespoon of oil (or more) and mix well.
- Mix the oil with the chickpeas and place them in the basket of the airfryer. Under the heading ‘Chickpea spices’ (above) you can choose from different spice combinations, or you can choose your own spices.
- Turn on the airfryer (temperature differs per brand) between 160 and 200 degrees. You probably know whether your airfryer should be high or lower than the indicated temperature.
- Bake the spicy peas for about 15 minutes until golden brown. If they are not golden brown, they can have another round. Taste to see if you like the taste, otherwise season it with some salt or other herbs.
Roasting Dried Chickpeas
If you have dried chickpeas at home and you want to roast them, you can of course do that, it just takes a little more effort but the taste is worth it.
- Rinse the chickpeas well and place them in a pan with water. Leave plenty of water in the pan so that the peas can soak it up all night. About 2 to 3 centimeters of water above the peas.
- The next morning, rinse the peas well and boil them in a pan of water for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Drain the peas.
- Mix spices with a tablespoon or 2 of oil and mix the chickpeas with the spice oil.
- Place baking paper on the baking tray and place the deliciously seasoned chickpeas on it. Spread it out well.
- Roast the peas in the oven for 15 minutes and then toss them around. Then roast it for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Check if the chickpeas are nice and golden brown, otherwise you can leave them roasting for a while. Can of course vary per oven.
You have now read a number of ways to roast the chickpeas. Hopefully, you will find the perfect way for you and you can often enjoy the ‘borenoot’ or a delicious side dish during lunch or dinner.