How To Make Curry Sauce? Multiple variants
Curry is tasty and gives your dish an oriental touch. Often used in rice dishes, this is a delicious seasoning. You can buy curry ready-made, but making it yourself is more fun. How to make curry sauce, that’s what this blog is about.
Curry powder is mixed with vegetable butter and flour and baked. Then the milk is added and you get the sauce. You can also add other seasonings such as onion and garlic. Or make it with coconut milk or yogurt.
There are many options for making curry sauce. Below are several options for making the sauce. Choose your favorite and get started. Try and experiment with the ingredients. Make your own curry sauce.
Curry Sauce Recipe
Making curry sauce is easy when you have a recipe that you can follow. Below are several recipes discussed to make curry sauce yourself.
You can of course just follow these recipes, but you can also play with the ingredients and come up with your own curry sauce recipe. After all, cooking is trying and tasting whether it tastes good. So get to work and let your creativity run wild; make a tasty curry sauce.
I’ll give you the curry sauce base now. It consists of the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 25 grams of vegetable butter
- 25 grams of flour
- 200 milliliters soy milk
- 1/2 stock cube
With these 5 ingredients, you can make a simple curry sauce yourself. Simple and delicious.
By using several herbs and seasonings, you can adjust the curry sauce completely to your own wishes. Below are therefore 7 recipes for making curry sauce.
Make your own curry sauce
Now that we have the base, we can make sauce from it. What should you do?
- Melt the butter in a pan on your heat source.
- Add the curry powder and stir it in, keep stirring.
- After 2 minutes, add the flour to the butter and curry. Now mix it together. It’s going to clump now.
- Gradually add the milk while continuing to stir the pan.
- Keep doing this until all the milk is used up. In the meantime, crumble the 1/2 stock cube and add it to the pan. Then heat the sauce even further.
Now taste whether your sauce is flavored. If not, add a little more curry or a little salt. If it is too thick, add some more milk. If it’s too thin, let it boil down. If not, add a little more salt or pepper.
This is the simple way to make curry sauce. Now we will discuss the more detailed recipes below. To start with curry sauce with coconut milk.
Curry sauce Coconut milk
Making curry sauce with coconut milk is even easier to do. The base of the sauce is coconut milk, so you don’t have to use butter and flour. The base can of course always be expanded with many other seasonings. What do you need?
- 2 spring onions, cut into rings
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- pinch chili flakes
It is made as follows:
- Place a pan on the heat source and heat the coconut milk in it.
- Then add the curry powder and the chopped spring onions. Heat this for 5 minutes, do not let it boil.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- And taste again; you can now add salt, pepper or curry. Want a little more spice? Then add a little chili powder.
This is how to make curry sauce with coconut milk. Different than with milk and flour and therefore also different in taste.
Indian curry sauce
The well-known Indian curry sauce can be made in many ways. Below with garlic and ginger.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 400 grams canned tomato cubes
- 200 ml coconut milk or vegetable cooking cream
You prepare it as follows:
- Place a pan on the heat source and fry the onion, garlic and ginger in it.
- Then add the curry powder and stir it through.
- Add the diced tomatoes and coconut milk or cream and mix everything well.
- Warm the curry sauce, do not let it boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Now taste it again to see if it tastes good. You can season it with curry powder, pepper and salt or add a little coconut milk.
Making curry sauce without flour
It is also possible to make a thicker sauce without flour. You can make the sauce liquid, but a sauce should be thicker. We use potatoes to thicken sauce without flour.
- 2 floury potatoes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 onion
- soy milk
- 1/2 stock cube
You proceed as follows:
- Peel the potatoes and dice them. This is how they have been cooked before.
- Boil the potatoes in a pan with water and salt. Drain the potatoes, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- Then put the boiled potatoes, onion and curry powder and stock cube in the blender and mix it all.
- Then add a little cooking liquid and mix it again.
- Now you have to judge for yourself whether it is already starting to look like a sauce. If so, add a little soy milk last for a creamy taste and mix again. Now it should be a sauce.
If it is still too dry at first, add some cooking liquid first and then the milk.
Season your sauce with salt and pepper. Now you have made a curry sauce without flour. Nice about whatever you want.
Making Curry Sauce Without Milk
You can also make curry sauce without milk. You can replace the milk with, for example, plain water. You can add stock for extra flavor. Look at the above recipes and replace the milk with water. Below is another option.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 ml of water in which a 1/2 stock cube has been dissolved.
What are you going to do?
- Fry the chopped onion and garlic in the pan for 4 minutes with the sunflower oil.
- Add the flour and curry powder and mix well. Bake on a low setting for 3 minutes.
- Add the water in parts and keep stirring. Now it becomes a sauce.
- Finally season with salt and pepper.
Enough possibilities to make curry sauce without milk. Waterworks wonders in this case.
Curry Sauce Without Carbohydrates
Flour is often used to make the sauce. This ingredient is easy to replace. You can do this by using almond flour.
In addition, you can use the light variant of the coconut milk in the above recipes or replace it completely with stock. Even then you get delicious curry sauce.
So look at the above ingredients and replace them with almond flour and stock or plain water.
Curry sauce with yogurt
Yogurt, the vegetable variant, can also serve well as a basis for the curry sauce. Below is an easy recipe for this curry sauce.
- ½ bunch of chives
- clove of garlic, crushed
- onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 250 grams yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Saute the chopped onion and garlic in the pan. Add the curry powder and fry for a while.
- Now stir this mixture into the yogurt, along with the chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
You can of course also make this sauce warm. Then add the yogurt to the pan and heat it up. Enjoy your meal!