How to Choose Fresh Vegetables and Fruits? 5 Tips
How to Choose the Best Fruit and Vegetables at the Market in the Grocery Store? For a healthy nutrition program, the quality of the vegetables and fruits to be consumed, the production stage and the conditions of storage at home are of great importance. In order to make the most of vitamin and mineral sources, it is necessary to pay attention to some criteria when choosing vegetables and fruits.
Consuming fruits and vegetables in their season will be more effective for body resistance. Now, in this article, we will present you life-saving information when you go to the market or market. What you need to know when choosing vegetables and fruits are gathered on this page. Here is that healthy and practical information!
How to Choose Vegetables and Fruits? Tips You Need!
Every vegetable and fruit has its own unique color or texture. These criteria give information about the freshness of the food. Based on the information on our list, let’s find the answer to the question of how to choose vegetables and fruits!
- When buying cucumbers, pay attention to the dark green color. Those that are soft and very misshapen are not delicious cucumbers.
- When choosing onions, you should pay attention to be dry and firm. Soft onions are the ready-to-rot type. It is important that the skins are on the onions.
- Potatoes should be firm and not sprouted. You should not buy potatoes that have tiny green sprouts around them. It is only a matter of time before such potatoes rot.
- When you want to choose cabbage, you can make sure that the leaves are hard and closed. You shouldn’t buy rotten ones.
- When buying green beans, you can choose thin and long ones. Beans with coarse grains can be a little tough.
- Carrots should be bright and orange. Avoid picking pale carrots.
- The detail you need to pay attention to in tomatoes is that they are of medium hardness. Those that are very hard may turn out to be white inside. The ones that are too soft are the tomatoes that are prepared to spoil.
- When buying broccoli, you should not add the ones with yellow leaves to your shopping cart. Broccoli with dark green leaves is fresh and natural.
- It is recommended that you do not buy very slit and soft ones in your radish shopping. Soft ones have a very short lifespan and can start to rot when they get home.
- When buying lemons, you should be careful that the peel is thin. It is not recommended to buy lemons that have a stained peel.
- You should also be careful when choosing eggplant. You can pay attention to the fact that the shell of the eggplant is shiny and smooth. You can also get that eggplant if it returns to its original state after pressing it with your hand.
- Another vegetable to be sensitive to is mushrooms. It is necessary to be very cautious against mushroom poisoning.
- Care should be taken to ensure that the color is close to white. Shop from trusted places.
- When buying greens such as lettuce, parsley and mint, you should take care to keep the bouquet alive. Avoid buying very muddy green vegetables. The probability of bacterial growth is very high.
- When buying bananas, you should not choose the ones with stains on the peel. The taste of medium ripe bananas is as you wish. It is not yet the consumption period of those whose skin is green. You can buy bananas that are close to yellow and slightly soft.
- When choosing pears, their skin may be hard. Don’t be fooled by this situation, it will continue to mature in a few days.
- You should not buy cracked plums. The sweetening of the split and cracked plums is imminent. For longer-lasting plums, opt for unscathed ones.
- When you want to choose an orange, its peel should be thin. You can easily get orange oranges.
- When you buy strawberries, make sure that they are fragrant and in full color. Strawberries with white color transitions are not yet ripe.
- You can also tell by the color when choosing a pomegranate. Pomegranate, which loses its color and has a few cracks, is close to stale. For this reason, you should choose the one with the red peel and bright pomegranate.
5 Tips to Consider When Buying Vegetables and Fruits
1) If you buy as many products as you need when you go shopping for vegetables and fruits, you can always consume more fresh foods.
2) For a fresh and healthy diet, check the label of the fruit or vegetable you buy. Some grocery stores have products sold in packs. You can choose your package by paying attention to the packaging date of these products. If the packaging date is in a very distant date; Report this to the market staff.
3) You should not do one-way shopping. You should benefit from every vegetable and fruit at least a little. You can get plenty of variety for salads. You can buy one fruit for each day during the rush hour.
4) If there are unwanted objects such as garbage in the environment where the fruit or vegetable you will buy, you should not shop from this point. You can choose vegetables and fruits that are kept in a healthy way.
5) You should definitely try to buy seasonal fruits and vegetables. You can visit the market or the market in short time intervals for fresh tastes in every season.
Why Is It Important to Consume Vegetables and Fruits in Season?
For the body functions to work in the best way; A regular and balanced diet is required. When it comes to health, experts emphasize adding foods such as vegetables and fruits to meals. Vegetables used in salads or meals make the immune system stronger. Let’s take a look at the effects that will occur when you add vegetables and fruits to your meals:
- After the transition period to solid food, consumption of vegetables and fruits is important for children in every respect. It affects development positively. It supports the development of muscle and bone health.
- Vegetables and fruits are the best sources of vitamins. All hormone-free and natural foods not only protect heart health, but also attract attention as immune-friendly.
- The energy that the body needs can be obtained by consuming vegetables and fruits. Potassium and iron source foods are energy sources.
- If you do not want to deal with problems such as anemia; You can consume green vegetables that contain iron.
- In order to be protected from the winter cold and stay away from diseases, it is recommended to consume mainly winter fruits.
- Fruits added to meals make the intestines work healthier. Thus, the digestive system works faster and the risk of serious diseases such as colon cancer is eliminated.
- Eating vegetables and fruits instead of a one-way diet is a precaution against obesity. Many related diseases can also be prevented.
- Foods such as vegetables and fruits consumed during pregnancy ensure a healthier progression of the pregnancy process. It maintains the mother’s body resistance and continues the development of the baby in the best way.
- Folic acid source vegetables should be consumed in order to avoid the risk of miscarriage during pregnancy. Like broccoli, cabbage. These vegetables protect the mother’s health and strengthen the baby’s attachment.
- In order to stay away from anemia-related diseases, the consumption of vegetables and fruits containing iron should be emphasized.
- To summarize the subject in general; The password for a happier and healthier life depends on the consumption of vegetables and fruits.
Differences Between Vegetables and Fruits – Distinguishing Features
When you go to the grocery store or the grocery store, you make some choices to make your refrigerator the healthiest. By getting some vegetables and some fruit, you can spice up your meals. You shop with the culture that has become a habit for years. You remember the food as vegetables and the sweet ones as fruit. This situation is actually on a different dimension than you know. From a biological point of view, the differences between vegetables and fruits are expressed as follows:
- According to biological research, foods with seeds are considered fruits.
- While the fruit has a biological definition, the vegetable does not have a precise definition.
- Fruits and vegetables are classified according to their taste in the abstract sense.
- Foods that are sweet are generally known as fruits. Of course, if it has a seed, it is really a fruit.
- Vegetables, on the other hand, are separated from other foods as edible. It is a common understanding that the foods that are cooked are called vegetables.