8 Most Common Mistakes While Fasting
What Are the Mistakes Made While Fasting?
With the advent of Ramadan, the most correct fasting methods became the agenda. The delicious recipes to be prepared for iftar, sweets, salty dishes, and the pleasure of tea to drink after iftar have already begun to decorate dreams. However, there are very important points that we should pay attention to on the back screen of all these eating and drinking chapters. What to do while fasting is very important, and another topic that is just as important is what not to do.
In this article, we will touch on some points that we will say “don’t make these mistakes while fasting” . If you want to spend this period without gaining weight and without spoiling your health, it would be useful to listen to the recommendations we will give. In order to spend the month of Ramadan with a rested and purified body, it is enough to follow some small suggestions. Thus, you will prevent some uncomfortable situations that you may experience while fasting. If you are one of those who gain weight during Ramadan, you can avoid this situation with our suggestions. You can even lose weight during this period!
What should be considered while fasting? If you’re curious, keep reading. We wish you a peaceful and healthy Ramadan…
Here are the points to be considered while fasting!
8 Most Common Mistakes While Fasting
The mistakes made while fasting and the wrong methods applied in nutrition may harm your health this month. Errors such as trying to fast without getting up for sahur, fast and overloading the stomach during iftar, consuming too little water between iftar and sahur, and returning to sleep immediately after sahur will not do you any good while fasting. If you organize your diet under a heading such as a fasting diet during the month of Ramadan, you can have comfortable and light days.
We have listed the most common mistakes made while fasting for you. Here is that useful information!
1) Not Getting Up for Suhoor
- The mistake most of us make during Ramadan is to spend the whole day with one meal.
- It is actually not healthy at all to eat too much at iftar and start fasting again before sahur .
- The stomach, which is exposed to too much food in order not to be hungry, has difficulty in grinding these foods, and when our body is fed with a single meal, it gives the alarm of some health problems.
- This situation can manifest itself from a seemingly simple problem such as hair loss to serious problems such as muscle wasting.
- In addition, since the rate of hunger will be higher as a result of fasting before sahur , the control of eating at iftar cannot be ensured.
- This returns to your body as weight gain.
- When the fasting starts with sahur and when the fast is opened with a light iftar, we complete the healthiest cycle.
- Among the mistakes made while fasting is not getting up for sahur, but also having a late night snack and sleeping.
- You may think that a late meal can be supportive to stay hungry throughout the day, but going to sleep right after eating is not a healthy thing.
2) Sleeping Right After Sahur
- Of course, we try to consume all the nutrients we will need throughout the day at sahur.
- We eat as we eat to stay fuller for longer.
- However, the excess food we eat can cause certain discomforts such as heartburn or palpitations.
- Especially sleeping after a binge makes these ailments more pronounced.
- For this reason , it is a good method not to sleep immediately after sahur .
- But if you are having problems with insomnia, you can avoid these problems if you keep your head about 15-20 cm higher.
- Among the things to be done while fasting are the hours of sleep that will be spent comfortably and comfortably. The better you sleep, the calmer you will feel during fasting.
- Experts say that after getting a good night’s sleep by going to bed early, it may be a good option not to go to bed after sahur.
- Even if you will sleep after sahur, it would be good to linger for at least 1 hour.
3) Aiming at Carbohydrate Foods
- Among the conditions to be considered while fasting is maintaining the balance of nutritional content.
- Since we sit for iftar feeling very hungry, we usually end up with foods that are high in fat and carbohydrates and have a high satiation rate.
- But even though we are in a special month, our body’s needs do not change.
- It is absolutely necessary to consume other types of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and protein .
- Especially in this period when the digestive system has the opportunity to rest, it will be the right choice not to overload it and to feed mainly with light foods.
- Otherwise, problems such as weight gain and fatigue may begin to appear.
4) Neglecting Water Consumption
- It is very important to pay attention to drinking water among the points to be considered in fasting.
- In addition to eating, liquid consumption is also an issue that we should pay attention to during the month of Ramadan .
- The benefits of drinking water for our body are already proven fact.
- It is essential to consume water regularly in order for all functions in our body to work properly, to be healthy and to be purified from harmful cells .
- Meeting the fluid consumption, which is a natural need of the body, with tea-coffee, sugary soft drinks or acidic beverages does more harm than good.
- In short, the need for fluid should be met from a high percentage of water.
- In addition, it is necessary to spread water consumption between iftar and sahur.
- Drinking too much water at once will only end with the excess being excreted through urine.
- One of the most basic answers to the question of what we should pay attention to while fasting is to drink enough water.
- It would be best to drink water before sahur and iftar and at least 1 hour after eating.
- If you have a short period of time until the start of fasting after the meal in sahur, it will be useful to delay drinking water until the last minutes in order not to reduce the rising temperature for digestion.
5) Sleeping All Day
- While fasting, regulating our lifestyle is as important as the arrangements we make in our diet. Among the situations that should be considered while fasting is to optimize the sleeping hours.
- Most of us prefer to spend most of the day sleeping to make time pass faster.
- However, this is an action that will prevent the body from spending Ramadan in a healthy way.
- On the contrary, whatever activities are done in daily life should continue in the same way during fasting.
- Because while you sleep, the body’s metabolic system also stops itself.
- The body, which starts to work with the excess food intake that comes with the iftar, brings with it excess weight.
- There may also be those who wake up later, especially in order not to be hungry while fasting, or rather to shorten the time of struggle with the feeling of hunger.
- However, fasting shows its benefits both physically and spiritually when it is kept by continuing the normal life routine.
6) Sudden Loading on Food
- Among the things to be considered while fasting, what to do while fasting is as important as what to do during fasting.
- Dreaming of food all day long and fighting hunger, of course, brings us not to slow down when it comes to the iftar table.
- But eating suddenly after long hours can invite serious health problems.
- It is said that it will cause insoluble problems such as heart attack or stroke , especially in individuals in the risk group .
- In this regard, it is recommended to relax your stomach by waiting for a while after opening your iftar with a light food such as soup .
- Then you can continue with other foods by spreading it over time.
- Thus, you minimize the problems caused by eating suddenly.
7) Staying Still
- It is normal to experience a slight decrease in the activities we do during the day while fasting.
- Our body, which resists with hunger, does not want to engage in activities that require being very active.
- However, this does not mean that we will remain inactive after iftar.
- Even after iftar, exercise should be done.
- It is essential to do simple exercises for the body to be healthier and to adapt to its changing order more easily.
- Of course, it is necessary to determine the dose well.
- The danger of weight gain during Ramadan can be prevented with exercise movements to be done at the beginner level.
- In summary, we should not stay still while fasting, but if you are asking whether you can do sports while fasting, it is not appropriate to do heavy sports for long hours, but brisk walks after iftar will be appropriate.
8) Swallowing Food Without Chewing
- Taking care to chew a lot while eating is a step that we need to pay attention not only during Ramadan but throughout our lives.
- Because food swallowed without chewing creates indigestion problem.
- Moreover, the stomach spends much more energy than usual to grind these foods.
- Another problem created by this situation is that the food that is swallowed without chewing does not give a feeling of satiety.
- Therefore , by swallowing without chewing, we open the door to gaining excess weight.
- It is unhealthy to eat quickly and go back to sleep when the sahur table is set, and it is unhealthy to be able to swallow the food without chewing due to hunger at iftar.
- Waking up in time for sahur is beneficial to eat without haste until dawn. When the iftar table is set, the portions can be kept small in order to eat slowly.