Winter Healthy Eating Tips from a Dietitian
In order to strengthen our immune system during the winter months, we should give importance to adequate and balanced nutrition. Especially the winter season is the period when diseases increase. That’s why we need to be more careful than in other seasons. When we don’t pay attention to our clothes and what we eat because the weather suddenly gets cold, illness can knock on our door. In particular, we should take our precautions against flu and cold in advance.
In this article, you can find some tips that will increase your happiness in the winter, protect you from diseases and most importantly prevent weight gain!
Let’s take a look at what they are:
- We should pay particular attention to food diversity.
- We should take care to consume vegetables and fruits that are in season.
- Our body needs extra energy to reach normal temperature level. This causes an increase in eating. We have to take care of getting the nutrients needed for our body.
- We should get enough and balanced carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals in our daily nutrition program.
- Seasonal changes cause the metabolic rate to change. As a result, our immune system weakens and diseases occur. In order to prevent this situation, we need to pay attention to the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- In order to prevent diseases, we should pay attention to the consumption of citrus fruits, which are rich in vitamin C.
- Let’s choose herbal teas that support our immune system, such as echinacea, linden, rosehip, sage and a green tea with plenty of lemon.
- We should also consume enough omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- In particular, we should pay attention to the consumption of fish that are in season once a week.
- Dried legumes, which are rich in fiber, should be consumed at least once a week.
- Meals should be preferred as grilled, boiled, steamed and baked instead of frying.
- Get rid of sluggishness and exercise, especially walking, for at least half an hour a day in the open air.
- In winter, we cannot meet our vitamin D requirements sufficiently. During this period, food should form our source of vitamin D.
- Low-fat milk enriched with vitamin D also replaces the vitamin D that we cannot get from the sun during the winter months.
- In order to increase fiber consumption, we should increase the consumption of legumes, whole grain bread, vegetables and fruits.
- We should take care to drink 8-12 glasses of water a day in order for the body to work in a balanced way and to remove excess toxins.
- We should take care to take probiotics for our gut health. Foods containing probiotics: kefir, yogurt, pickles, vinegar and boza.
What should the meals be like when the winter months come?
- You should definitely add seasonal vegetables to your meals. If you consume cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, you can strengthen your immunity.
- You can consume seasonal vegetables by squeezing them in a juicer. Thus, you can get rid of edema for a short time by drinking antioxidant drinks.
- In this process, you should stay away from pasty foods. If you often consume doughy foods during the winter months; Weight gain can occur if you stay sedentary.
- You can host the miracle plants of the winter months to your table. Especially after you clean the spinach very well, you can consume it in its most delicious form.
- Instead of consuming pickles on winter days and getting salt into your body; You can consume auxiliary dishes such as salad, radishes and onions.
- If you want to protect your body before summer; You should pay attention to the cooking methods while cooking in the winter months. You can cook by trying the oven, grill and boiled methods.
- Those who spend the cold processes of winter days at home may want to eat frequently. In this case, you can consume healthy snacks. Because if you prefer foods containing high calories all winter; You can say hello to the summer with the weight you have gained.
- Hot chocolate, salep and coffee are consumed a lot in winter. If you consume these delicious and hot drinks with sugar; During the winter, your body stores sugar and turns it into fat. You can try to eat sugar-free as much as possible.