What is Tofu? How To Make Tofu Cheese
Plant foods play an important role in vegan nutrition. Tofu is one of them. Vitamins and minerals taken from plant sources meet the energy needs of vegan diets.
It is also a matter of curiosity about the benefits of tofu, which is frequently used in Japan and China. Tofu, which has started to make a name for itself in our country, has become a sought-after food in diet cafes. We will find out on this page whether tofu is cheese or not.
We would like to take a detailed look at tofu, which will not be missing from the kitchen of those who eat healthily and stay away from animal foods. Tofu will take its place in all foods in a very short time and will be your strongest protein source.
You can prepare delicious and low-calorie recipes with tofu. Those who want to buy tofu cheese and those who are looking for a special recipe should read our article to the end!
What is Tofu?
- Tofu is a food made from soy milk. Also known as the residue of soy milk.
- Tofu, which has a history of almost 200 years, is preferred in meals as a type of cheese.
- Tofu, which has a unique texture, gives a different experience to the palate with its absorbent and soft texture.
- Tofu, which has a very low-fat content and a very high nutritional value , is a food that has a wide range of uses from salads to soups.
- Tofu, a type of soy curd, is widely used in Asian countries .
- Tofu, which is offered for sale in 3 different consistencies as solid tofu, soft tofu and silky tofu, is preferred in different consistencies according to the dishes to be used. Silky and soft tofu is preferred for breakfast.
- Sold in containers filled with water, tofu has the ability to go into the freezer as well.
How To Make Tofu Cheese
- 500 grams of soybeans
- 250 ml lemon juice
- 3.5 liters of water
- Tofu cheese is made from soybeans. First of all, soybeans are soaked in water for about 6 hours.
- 250 ml of lemon juice and 3.5 liters of water are required for approximately 500 grams of it.
- All soybeans are crushed with a blender and cheesecloth is stretched over the rim of a saucepan.
- The crushed puree is poured onto the cheesecloth. It is ensured that the water of the puree is filtered through cheesecloth.
- The pulp obtained is called “okara”. Like tofu, okara is also rich in protein.
- The water filtered through cheesecloth into the pot is boiled over low heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the bottom of the pot is covered and stirring is continued until the heat passes.
- The lemon juice is taken in a bowl and the cooled soybean juice is slowly poured into the lemon juice from high. In the meantime, you need to stir continuously.
- When you take a break from mixing, the cheese is cut and you may not be able to achieve its consistency.
- Soybean juice mixed with lemon juice is filtered again through a cheesecloth and the first consistency is obtained.
- You can adjust the consistency of the tofu according to the waiting time between 25 and 35 minutes .
- Prepared tofu should be kept in the refrigerator.
5 Unheard of Benefits of Tofu Cheese
Thanks to the benefits of tofu cheese , many people have met their vegetable protein needs. Now, let us express to you the benefits of tofu, the popular cheese of Asian countries.
- Rich in B vitamins , tofu has strong effects on eliminating anemia. It promotes the proliferation of red blood cells.
- High in calcium , tofu cheese is one of the foods that support muscle and bone development. It not only has positive effects on muscle and bone development, but also ensures that the tooth structure is strong.
- It is an ideal food for those who want to keep cholesterol in balance. There is little to no cholesterol in tofu cheese.
- It meets the protein needs by adding it to various meals. It is a herbal and healthy protein supplement.
- Protecting the health of the intestines, tofu is effective for constipation and diarrhea problems. It ensures the normal functioning of the intestines and relaxes the intestines. Thus, the problem of indigestion is also solved.
Tofu Calories and Nutritional Information
Tofu, which has an important place in diet nutrition, is also on the agenda with its nutritional value. In vegan nutrition, you can measure the number of tofu calories in diet meals and prepare more fit plates. Now let’s take a look at the vitamins and minerals in tofu cheese , then let’s express their caloric value.
Vitamins and minerals found in 100 grams of tofu:
- 4.8 grams of Fat
- 7mg Sodium
- 121mg Potassium
- 1.9 grams of Carbs
- 0.3 Dietary fiber
- 8 grams of Protein
- 85 iu of vitamin A
- 350mg Calcium
- 0.1mg of vitamin C
- 5.4 grams of Iron
- 30mg Magnesium
When adding tofu cheese to your meals and wondering about the calories, you can see these numbers:
- 1 slice of tofu: 44 calories
- 50 grams of tofu: 73 calories
- 75 grams of tofu: 109 calories
- 100 grams of tofu: 145 calories
How to Eat Tofu Where to use it?
You can serve it cold with your favorite tofu salad. Tofu cheese is suitable for consumption at any meal you wish. You can distribute it to the meals according to the hardness of the consistency. If we give some delicious ideas;
- For those who eat tofu protein-heavy, it can be spread on bread for breakfast and consumed.
- Tofu, which is in delicious harmony with thyme and spices, can also be added to soups to give flavor.
- Firm tofu also adds flavor to salads in tiny chunks.
- If you want to prepare a hearty and nutritious omelet in the morning, you can prepare an omelet with tofu.
- The most popular tofu recipe is dipped in breadcrumbs and fried. Tofu cheese is a delicious cheese that is also suitable for frying.
- You can serve tofu as a hot starter, and you can enjoy it at every meal.