What is cowpea? 7 Surprising Benefits
The cowpea is a tiny, nutritious member of the legume family. The cowpea plant, which is covered with green skin, is a nutritious vegetable with the vitamins and protein it contains.
Cowpea, which grows in the form of seedlings that are not very tall in the soil, reaching an average length of 1 meter, are grown with support sticks. After the green peels begin to form, they are collected either fresh or dry according to preference, that is, they are harvested.
Since cowpea loves hot weather, cowpea season is also summer. In the hot summer months, you can feel a little cool with black-eyed pea dishes, black-eyed pea salad and pickles.
What is cowpea?
- Cowpea, which is included in the pile rooted group of the plant kingdom, is an annual plant.
- The grains of the cowpea are similar in shape to beans, but slightly smaller and have a darker part in the middle.
- Due to the blackness in the belly of the cowpea grains, this plant is also known as black eye and black eye among the people.
- It is a vegetable that is popular especially in the Aegean Region and is often grown and consumed.
- While dried beans can be consumed in winter, fresh cowpea takes its place in the kitchens in summer.
Benefits of Black-eyed Peas: 7 Surprising Features
1) Good for Anemia
- There is a large amount of sodium and iron in cowpea.
- Thanks to its nutritious structure, cowpea helps regulate blood values.
- With the consumption of cowpea, the possibility of high blood pressure problem decreases.
- Black-eyed peas are also rich in iron.
- Since it is good for blood cells, it is also protective for iron anemia, which is especially common in our country.
2) Perfect for Foot Fatigue
- There is folic acid in cowpea, which is very useful for the body.
- Folic acid ensures that harmful toxins are easily removed from the body.
- In particular, the body, which is purified from the toxins accumulated in the feet during the day, relaxes and the edema decreases more easily.
3) Provides Regeneration of the Body
- Among the benefits of dry cowpea as well as the benefits of fresh cowpea, we can count supporting cell renewal.
- By consuming black-eyed peas, we can help all systems of our bodywork more healthily, thanks to the vitamin C it contains.
4) Strengthens the Immune System
- Thanks to the vitamin B complex in cowpea, body resistance increases.
- People with a strong immune system are less likely to get sick.
- Vitamin B is also protective against ailments such as throat infections, as it prevents the infection from increasing.
5) Provides Toughness for a Long Time
- Among the benefits of black-eyed peas, there are also features that will please those who want to lose weight.
- Among the foods that keep you full for a long time, which are the favorites of diets, there is also cowpea.
- Thanks to its high fiber content, cowpea also facilitates digestion.
6) Relieves Menstrual Pains
- Another unknown benefit of cowpea is that it is good for menstrual cramps.
- Cowpea, which helps in the regeneration of the uterus, also strengthens the ovaries in women.
- The discharge, which is another problem of women, can also decrease with the consumption of cowpea.
7) Heals Skin Wounds
- Thanks to the zinc in cowpea, wounds heal faster and cell renewal is facilitated. It is very important to have adequate zinc intake, especially during pregnancy.
- Manganese also supports the digestive system, protein and energy production. It also contributes to the increase of sexual power.
Quality Food for Animals too
- Black-eyed peas are useful not only for us but also for animals.
- Straw obtained from cowpea blend is also used as quality animal feed.
Lets You Prepare Delicious and Easy Recipes
- What are the benefits of special dry beans? If you ask, we can say that it is a feast of taste left on the palate with its olive oil salad prepared in a very simple way.
- Fresh cowpea can also be consumed as a salad.
- Black-eyed peas are a versatile vegetable that can be made into salads, soups and even pickles.