What is Caviar? Every thing you need to know
What is Caviar? Known by the name given to fish eggs, the world’s best quality caviar is obtained from the Caspian Sea, which has coasts in Azerbaijan, Iran and Russia. Azerbaijan is known as the center of caviar production in the world with a production rate of 80%.
Unfertilized eggs of female sturgeon and kipper fish living in the Caspian Sea are the most expensive black colored caviar. It is said that the taste of this luxury food, which is valued according to its color, aroma, maturity and structure, becomes more meaningful as it is eaten. It is not known how many tastings it will taste, but it is a fact that caviar consumption has started from ancient times and continued until today.
These small jewels, which are not missing from the tables of Iranian shahs, Byzantine and Ottoman emperors, are also produced under limited conditions in today’s Turkey.
- What Are the Benefits of Caviar?
- How to Extract Caviar?
- What are the Caviar Types?
- How to Choose Caviar?
- Why Is Caviar So Expensive?
- How to Eat Caviar
- How to Serve Caviar?
- 3 Stylish and Delicious Recipes Prepared with Caviar
What Are the Benefits of Caviar?
- Caviar, which contains 264 calories per 100 grams, is very rich in protein.
- Thanks to its high nutritional value, it is good for diseases such as chronic fatigue by giving energy. Some even claim that he suffered from the famous disease of our age, the burnout syndrome.
- Thanks to the vitamin B12 it contains, only a small spoonful of caviar meets the daily needs of an adult person. This, in turn, improves the brain and mind, reducing the risk of diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- The anti-aging and moisturizing effects of fish eggs nourish the skin. It helps to repair the skin and hair with products such as caviar cream and caviar-based shampoo, which have become widespread in the cosmetics industry. In addition, the mask of black caviar has a positive effect on stubborn wrinkles.
- It contains vitamin A, which is rich in antioxidants. In this way, it accelerates cell regeneration. It plays an important role in faster healing of open wounds.
- It strengthens bones with high amount of calcium.
- The aphrodisiac effect created by caviar is also among the results that should not be ignored. If this effect were measurable, it would be inevitable for banks to give caviar loans 🙂
- To summarize the effects of caviar consumption on your body;
- It perfectly meets your protein needs.
- It is very effective on reproductive hormones. It provides hormonal balance and prepares your body for fertility by stimulating reproductive hormones.
- The anti-aging caviar strives to make your skin look younger all the time. You can start consuming caviar to protect your skin health and feel better.
- Caviar, which is included in very luxurious skin masks, solves unwanted conditions such as acne and blackheads in the best way.
- It prevents signs of aging such as wrinkles, especially around the eyes.
- Caviar, which stimulates the body to prevent psychological problems, is one of the most effective foods that protects the health of nerve cells.
- You can consume caviar to feel better, look younger than your age, and lead a disease-free life.
How to Extract Caviar?
- Caviar is prepared by extracting the sturgeon from the spawning period. This process is also called caviar milking. Caviar extraction, which goes through a very difficult process, is not welcomed by many animal lovers.
- Nor are they unfair. You ask why?
- Especially in the winter season, the abdomen of the fish is opened with a cut along its length when they are alive, and after the eggs are hatched in a series, they are stitched again in a sterile environment.
- Just like a cesarean section. Sturgeons can have a reserve of unfertilized eggs up to 10% of their weight.
- Thanks to this method, caviar can be obtained 3-4 times from sturgeon fish that are removed from a fish and then released to the sea, after about 15 kg of caviar is extracted.
- In other words, an adult female fish is operated 3-4 times in her life.
- The extracted caviar is cleaned of foreign matter and washed and cleaned.
- After salting, it enters the ripening process for the desired aroma. The last fish eggs are packed and take their place on the shelves.
What are the Types of Caviar?
Caviar varieties are offered to consumers in black and red at select points of sale, premium-level markets and online platforms.
The red one is obtained from salmon, while the black one is extracted from female sturgeon and finds buyers at a much higher price.
- Beluga caviar is known as the most valuable variety with its coarse grains and is 2.5-3 mm in diameter.
- It has a buttery soft flavor and is blue-gray in color. It has a clean smell, leaves a rich aroma on the back of the tongue.
- Just like wine, caviar contains traces of the environment and diet of whatever fish it was extracted from.
- Osetra caviar is of medium quality and more affordable than Beluga. It is obtained from sturgeon that lives in the Amur River between Russia and China.
- Sevruga caviar is the youngest and the lowest quality caviar with its darkest color. The taste is sharp and the fish oil aroma is barely perceptible.
How to Choose Caviar?
- Producers jar the caviar according to their varieties and include detailed information on their labels. From which fish it is obtained, its dimensions, the type of caviar, its color range, nutritional values and origin are written.
- You can easily choose the caviar that appeals to you in the light of this information, including the taste and presentation suggestions it leaves in the mouth.
- For what purpose you will use it and with what recipe you will prepare it for presentation are also among the factors that affect your choice. Of course, when making this choice, it is inevitable that the price will play a decisive role.
- Expensive caviar, which is especially valuable, is also offered to consumers in small packages for tasting.
- In such a case, you can buy small amounts of both red and black caviar and create a visual feast on the table.
- Of course, in order to keep this feast as long as possible, you may need to keep your guests away from caviar because we are talking about a fortune to be consumed in one bite!
Why Is Caviar So Expensive?
- A good quality black caviar costs around $15,000 per kilogram. It’s like a diamond!
- Priced like a jewel, caviar is therefore served in very small portions and eaten almost as usual.
- Beluga caviar has been banned from the United States since 2005, especially since the fish from which high-quality black caviar is produced are in danger of extinction.
- Compared to 50 years ago, it is known that there is 6-7 times more production than today.
- Caviar, which used to be much cheaper, was even served as a pre-course treat in restaurants, but was not appreciated by most people, but now that the sturgeon is under protection, the price of the rare Beluga caviar reaches astonishing levels.
- Like anything rare, caviar attracts a lot of attention despite its price.
- For this reason, the news that the caviar produced by a company operating in Adana for the first time in Turkey will be exported to many parts of the world, is also widely covered in the press.
- It is also written in the news that the selling price is 3,000 euros per kilogram.
- It is also reported that, as a result of the studies carried out by Ankara University Faculty of Agriculture, Turkey will make significant breakthroughs in sturgeon farming and caviar production in the coming years, and efforts will be made to make prices more accessible.
- Since the formation and extraction phase of caviar is very laborious, its economic value is also quite high.
- Another factor affecting this situation is the availability of caviar in very upscale restaurants. Caviar is known as the pearl of the food industry.
- The health effects of caviar, whose economic value is increasing day by day, are as high as its price.
How to Eat Caviar
First of all, the number to remember is 5.
- Caviar loses its freshness within 5 weeks unopened and 5 days after opening.
- Caviar, which is very delicate, must be kept in the refrigerator.
- It is not suitable for storage in the deep freezer and loses both its taste and appearance when thawed. You can easily consume caviar at home if you wish, which is prepared as mini bites in oyster shells in stylish restaurants.
- It is eaten with butter on lightly toasted bread for breakfast, which is the most important meal of the day.
- It is served with pasta for lunch, with lemon and spring onions, or with cold champagne on festive nights.
- So, is caviar halal? This issue sometimes raises question marks in the minds of individuals living in Muslim societies.
- As it is written in dozens of verses in the Qur’an, it is permissible for people to eat water-dwelling creatures. Caviar is also halal as a fish roe. Therefore, it can be eaten with pleasure.
How to Serve Caviar?
- After taking it out of the refrigerator, it is brought to the table by placing it on ice in a small bowl to keep it cool.
- Fish eggs sort of appear on their cold thrones.
- With a serving spoon, foods such as bread and butter to accompany it are prepared.
- The type of material used for caviar presentation is very important.
- There is a special caviar spoon on the market for serving caviar, as it can be affected by metals and change its taste quickly.
- The part of these spoons with silver-plated handles that come into contact with the caviar consists of mother of pearl, plastic, wood or glass. The spoon is not cheap for such an expensive food.
- By paying attention to the tricks, you can enjoy this luxury food in the home environment and surprise your guests.
3 Stylish and Delicious Recipes Prepared with Caviar
Based on the information we have learned about caviar, which can be a guest on luxury tables with its high price, you can examine different recipes on our site for those who are curious about its taste:
1) For Snack Caviar as a Starter:
A suitable recipe for serving caviar as a starter at your elegant invitations or parties that you have prepared carefully. Moreover, with its practical preparation and eye-catching appearance, it is a candidate to be the favorite of your guests 🙂
2) Different Flavors: For Red Caviar Butter:
Are you ready to make a difference in your breakfasts? With a piece of caviar butter on toast, you will have a very colorful and delicious snack:
3) Eye-catching Noodles: For Asparagus and Caviar Noodles:
We are here with a very different and original recipe from the noodles you have encountered so far. Worth to try: