The secret food to control high cholesterol levels
5 to 10 grams (even more) of soluble fiber a day lowers LDL cholesterol.
Without a doubt, the benefits of oats for the body are innumerable. In fact, it is considered a superfood and a daily resource that everyone should take to take care of their health.
According to the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Unam), oat flakes have an antihypercholesterolemic effect; that is, it removes cholesterol from the blood (cleans the fat that accumulates on the walls of the arteries).
This type of fiber can reduce the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream. 5 to 10 grams (even more) of soluble fiber a day lowers LDL cholesterol. A serving of breakfast cereal with oats or oat bran provides 3 to 4 grams of fiber, according to experts at the Mayo Clinic.
The European Food Safety Authority (Efsa) of the European Union has accepted four health claims for oats, including lowering cholesterol, avoiding increased blood sugar and helping to regulate the intestinal tract.
Oatmeal, apple and almond smoothie
A recent study by researchers at the University of Iowa (USA) has discovered the properties of the apple skin, which contribute to reducing fat and glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood.
- A cup of oats.
- One green apple cut into cubes.
- A teaspoon of honey.
- A tablespoon of ground flaxseeds.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and beat for a maximum of two minutes, until the liquid is quite creamy.
- Take preferably in the morning and before going to work.
- This smoothie will generate a great feeling of satiety.
Other smoothies with oats for cholesterol
Papaya and oat smoothie
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- 3 papaya slices without seeds and peel
- 1 cup of water
- Sugar or sweetener to taste
- In the blender, add the papaya previously cut into cubes, the tablespoons of oats and the cup of water, in addition to sweetening the drink a little.
- Let blend for two minutes until it has a consistency like foam.
- Serve in a glass and decorate with some oat flakes.
Oatmeal and apple smoothie
- To prepare it, peel 2 green apples and remove the core.
- Then, cut into pieces to put them in the blender glass together with 125 grams of oats, the juice of a lemon and half a liter of water.
- Blend the ingredients and add a little more water if it is too thick.
Oatmeal and plum smoothie
- Oatmeal: 2 full spoons.
- Dried plums: 5 units.
- Flaxseed: 1 teaspoon.
- Kefir: 1 cup (can be substituted for natural unsweetened yogurt).
- Cocoa: 1 teaspoon.
- Place the plums in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In a separate container, mix the cocoa, oats and flaxseed.
- Add the kefir or yogurt and stir well.
- Strain the plums, cut them and place them in the mixture.
- Store in the fridge overnight and consume the next morning on an empty stomach.
Recommendation : it is important to know that the consumption of these drinks should be in moderation and it is always better to consult a nutritionist to determine what is best for each type of body.