Today I am taking you into the vegetable garden. The strawberry vegetable garden to be precise. Strawberries are very grateful to grow at home; even on a balcony, they do fine. Nothing beats the taste (and smell!) Of strawberries from the cold ground. But of course, you can get fresh strawberries from the Netherlands everywhere: just ask your local greengrocer!
This strawberry galette is delicious with super fresh strawberries. Galette is officially a French term and is used for various flat dough shapes. The great thing about this cake is that you don’t have to finish it very neatly. Not at all, because the charm of the galette lies in the ‘messy’ dough.
Number of points for attention
The dough for the strawberry galette needs to be cooled really well. And it helps if you use ice-cold water to make the dough. Not kneading for too long is also a good idea. I add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the strawberries. That is sometimes not enough to absorb all the moisture, so a little more could also be possible. When the strawberry galette comes out of the oven, there will be a lot of moisture on the top. Then let it stand for a while until it has cooled down properly and you will see that it thickens a bit and becomes less moist.
That being said; a little moisture is part of it. This is not a dry cake! So also not suitable for eating out of hand… I like to serve this with roughly chopped white chocolate and mint leaves.
Strawberry galette recipe
PREPARATION TIME: 45 min COOLING TIME: 1 hour Persons: 8
- 150 gr flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 100 gr cream cheese
- 115 gr butter cold
- 500 gr strawberries
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 50 gr minced white chocolate
- few leaves of mint
- possibly powdered sugar for over it
- Place flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of sugar in the food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cream cheese and the cold butter and pulse until you get coarse crumbs. Add 3-4 tablespoons of ice-cold water or just enough until the dough starts to come together.
- Pour out onto a floured counter and knead briefly until combined.
- Make a disk and wrap it in plastic. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- Unwrap the dough and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper into a round circle of about 25-30 centimeters. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and put in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- In the meantime, mix the strawberries with cornstarch, vanilla, lemon zest, and the rest of the sugar.
- Divide the strawberries over the top of your dough, leaving 2-3 inches of space on the side.
- Fold the sides up and over the strawberries. You will now have an edge of about 2-3 centimeters. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle the extra sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
The stated nutritional value is based on standard tables and therefore an estimated total. No rights can be derived from the information in the nutritional table.