How to Grow Dragon Fruit?
How to Grow Dragon Fruit? Dragon fruit, known as Pitaya, is a fruit that contributes to human health with its benefits. The color of the dragon fruit, which has a tuberous body, is also quite remarkable. It has a pink color. When you cut the tuberous body in half, you can see the white flesh with black grains inside. There are countless vitamins and minerals in this meaty part. Dragon fruit is a food with high economic value, which is considered a vitamin C store, full of healing.
In recent years, dragon fruit cultivation has become widespread in many countries. Thanks to the cultivation of pitaya, which spreads day by day , this fruit can easily reach many points. Thanks to the growing dragon fruit saplings in line with the supply-demand relationship, the productivity of our country in agriculture is also increasing.
Dragon fruits, which are sent from our country to many countries of the world, are harvested as a result of great effort and attention. Now, let’s explain to you the questions behind the question of how to grow dragon fruit.
If you are wondering how dragon fruit grows; you can listen to the story of this fruit coming to you.
How to Cultivate Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit is a semi-tropical fruit. It grows on medium sized trees. It likes temperate climates and humid days with dry heat. Let’s explain in detail how the dragon fruit, which avoids the cold, is grown.
Can Dragon Fruit be Grown in Pots?
- Yes, you can easily grow and bear dragon fruit in pots. For this, it will be sufficient to have a large pot and daily maintenance.
- To grow dragon fruit in a pot, you need to position the pot in a temperate environment.
- If you have started to get fruit from the dragon fruit growing in the pot; It is recommended to enlarge the pot by one size.
- So you can get more efficiency.
Soil Selection of Dragon Fruit
- Soil selection is very important for the dragon fruit tree. Since this tree is a type of cactus, a well-drained sandy soil should be preferred.
- Dragon fruit, which does not like wet and dirty soils, likes permeable and loose soils.
- If you are undecided about the soil, you can prepare a mixed soil yourself. For this, you can obtain a mixture of sand, potting soil and compost and give it a good soil for pitaya.
- The amount of soil should be adjusted according to the pot size. Adding soil 10 cm from the rim of the pot should be stopped.
Dragon Fruit’s Water Needs
- Reminding that dragon fruit is a type of cactus, let’s express that this plant will rot in excess water.
- Controlled irrigation is suitable for dragon fruit grown in pots or in the garden. Keeping the soil moist is important for irrigation.
- If there are ventilation holes in the bottom of the pot; You can water at short intervals. Because, thanks to the ventilation holes, the water reaches the lowest roots and the soil dries quickly.
- When watering the dragon fruit in the garden, irrigation should be done from the roots. For those grown in pots, you should use the same amount of rested water for each irrigation.
Positioning the Dragon Fruit
It is also necessary to give information about positioning to those who say how to grow pita. It is an important detail that the pot and the tree stay in the right place. It should be kept away from cold areas. Dragon fruit grown in pots is grown in warm rooms with sun exposure and ventilation.
We mentioned the maintenance conditions of dragon fruit. Now let’s describe the steps you need to take to grow this fruit from seed one by one.
- When you cut the dragon fruit in half, the black particles inside are the seeds of this fruit. Take a few of these seeds and begin to moisten them in a damp paper towel.
- You can start germinating the seeds that remain in the paper towel for 1-2 nights. You can use plastic cups for this. If you wish, you can also choose germination containers.
- Add a very small amount of soil and sprinkle the moistened seeds on this soil.
- The germination process can take up to 30 days on average. Therefore, it is recommended to be patient during this time. After about 1 month, you can say hello to the germinating dragon fruit seedlings.
- Transfer the germinating seedlings to pots of appropriate size and maintain them regularly according to the care conditions we have mentioned above.
When Does Dragon Fruit Fruit?
- The fruiting period of the mature dragon fruit may be late summer or autumn.
- Pitaya cultivation in temperate and hot climates can sometimes take place in greenhouses. Under these conditions, pitaya is always ready to bear fruit throughout the year.
- It is recommended to prune dead leaves and branches from time to time to gather fruit efficiently.
Where, in which country, and city does dragon fruit grow?
The question of where dragon fruit grows is on the minds of many farmers and enthusiasts. The answer to this question mark covers a very wide area. Because dragon fruit can be grown in any temperate region.
- When you say which country does dragon fruit grow in, we can give you a few country names. Mexico, Central and Southern
- Countries such as America, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia are very productive locations for pitaya.
- For those who say in which city does dragon fruit grow in Turkey, we can talk about the Mediterranean provinces.
- Antalya, Adana, Mersin and Muğla provinces are among the first places to start growing pita in our country. These cities still come to mind when it comes to dragon fruit.
- To summarize; When you say where to grow pita, it is important that this fruit does not see snow and winter, stays away from floods and storms, and is in a humid and warm environment as much as possible. These conditions are also met by countries in the Mediterranean climate.