Ginseng Powder: How is it produced? What Does It Do?
What Is Ginseng Powder? Ginseng, which is a source of healing that has made a name for itself in recent times, is a plant originating from the Far East. Its botanical name is Panax, and it derives from the Greek word “panacea” meaning healer.
It was discovered by chance in the mountainous regions of northern China five thousand years ago. Because it has a forked shape like a human foot, it is called ginseng, which means “human grass”, and it is a plant that has survived to the present day.
Korea was the first country to start growing ginseng for commercial purposes in the 1900s . This plant, which is believed to cure diseases, is still widely used today. When it was first discovered, it was first cooked as a meal and then its medicinal benefits were noticed. In this article, you can find everything you want to know about the use, properties, benefits and production of ginseng powder , which has been healing people for many years .
What Is Ginseng Powder?
- There are 3 different types of ginseng that have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years. The contents and effects of the species are the same.
- It is called Korean, American and Asian ginseng .
- The type called Korean ginseng is also called “red ginseng” .
- The roots of the plant are the most healing place and are used in powder form or in small pieces cut from the fresh root.
- Although it has been used in Far Eastern traditional medicine since ancient times, there are no scientific studies on the plant that have been tested on humans.
- For this reason, it would be right to consult a doctor before starting to use the plant.
- Ginseng powder is obtained from the fleshy roots of the plant and is sold in tablet or powder form.
- Those who use ginseng powder take this product as a food supplement.
- However, people who are over a certain age and have a chronic disease, and who are constantly taking medication, should consult their doctor before starting ginseng supplementation. Otherwise, they are likely to face the side effects of the plant.
- The main use of ginseng is its roots, but its leaves are also known to be medicinal. The leaves, which are not as effective as the roots, are quite expensive.
How Is Ginseng Powder Produced?
- More than 100 thousand tons of plants are produced each year for ginseng products, which have been popularly used for 3000 years .
- Canada, the United States, Korea and China are countries that produce ginseng for commercial purposes.
- Known as Korean ginseng, red ginseng is the most widely recognized type. Red ginseng powder is obtained from this species.
- It is a plant that grows in cold climates.
- It takes about 5-6 years for ginseng to mature.
- It has green leaves, light oval forked roots and stem.
- Ginseng roots can be harvested approximately 7-9 years after planting.
- The most healing part is the roots.
- In Turkey, you can find the products of this plant in powder and tablet form.
- These are ready-made products produced from American and Asian ginseng.
- You can also make industrially prepared ginseng powder at home by pulverizing the roots of the plant.
- Since the studies examining the contribution of the plant to human health have been tested only on rodents, there is no complete information about its exact benefits. Some scientists are skeptical of this herb as there are no definitive studies.
- However, among those who regularly use ginseng powder, there are also quite a lot of people who state that it makes positive contributions to their health.
- When buying ginseng powder, which is an effective supplement for health, turn to sources you trust; otherwise, it may produce undesirable results.
- The use of ginseng powder under 6 years is not preferred due to its lack of effect.
What Does Ginseng Powder Do?
- When ginseng powder is prepared and drunk as a tea, it can benefit many diseases.
- It is an herb widely used in alternative medicine. It is good for mental and physical fatigue in people.
- It is said to be very effective in increasing sexual power.
- In addition, there are opinions that it has an effect on increasing the sperm count in men.
- Although there are no clear studies on the subject, based on some results, it is said that the plant increases the sperm count and is good for the erection problem.
- Thanks to its structure that strengthens the immune system, it protects the body against microbes and infections.
- There is information that it reproduces immune system cells.
- With some studies on rodents, opinions have emerged that it may be beneficial against Type 2 diabetes. But it is not certain.
- Ginseng powder tea is also said to help strengthen concentration and make people feel energetic.
- There is information that it is good for the development of brain functions.
- For this reason, it is thought to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease , which can be encountered in later ages .
- If you are asking “how to drink ginseng powder” , which is very useful, the answer is to brew and drink it as ginseng tea.
How to Prepare Ginseng Powder Tea?
- You can prepare a tea for yourself by grating or slicing the ginger-like root part.
- If you are going to make tea by grating, it is sufficient to put one tablespoon of grated root in two glasses of water.
- If you want to make it by slicing, it is appropriate to put five slices of root in the same amount of water.
- If you want to make tea with ginseng powder then you need to use one teaspoon of ginseng powder for two glasses of water.
- The method you will use while preparing the tea should be brewing.
- Never boil the plant in water.
- After removing the boiled water from the stove, let it rest for 2-3 minutes and then add a teaspoon of ginseng powder into it.
- Let it steep for five minutes and then strain it into another glass.
- Your tea is now ready to drink.
- If you let it brew for a long time, it will taste bitter.
- You can sweeten your tea with honey or lemon and drink it.
What Are the Benefits of Ginseng Powder?
The benefits of ginseng powder are listed as follows:
- As it is a powerful antioxidant, it protects the body against infectious diseases and cancer. It is also effective for colds and flu.
- There are opinions that it inhibits the growth and reproduction of cancerous cells.
- Due to its adaptogen effect, it has the feature of protecting from nervous diseases and stress.
- It has the ability to strengthen memory and increase concentration.
- It is effective in balancing bad cholesterol. Regular use lowers cholesterol.
- It also has a stabilizing effect on high blood pressure. But since scientific research has not been done on the subject, it would not be correct to use it without a doctor’s recommendation.
- It has protective properties against cardiovascular diseases. It regulates the heart rhythm.
- Since it has an aphrodisiac effect, it ensures the secretion of hormones in a balanced way.
- It contributes to the regeneration of the body and delays aging.
- It has positive effects on skin beauty. It is a well-known anti-aging ingredient.
- It is effective in removing toxins from the body. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps to lose weight by accelerating metabolism and creating a feeling of satiety.
- Ginseng can also be used to relieve menopause problems. It is said that it is good against mental problems in this process.
How to Use Ginseng Powder?
- If you are wondering “how to consume ginseng powder” , the answer to your question is that it is an easy to use and diverse herb.
- It will be sufficient to use 1-2 grams as a daily dose. Using more is inconvenient.
- You can use ginseng powder by mixing it into your meals, yoghurt, fruit juices, soups or different drinks.
- You can also drink it as a tea.
- Ginseng products are sold in herbalists, markets selling herbs and products, and pharmacies.
- You can buy these products in tablet form and drink them at the recommended rates, or you can use the powder as you wish.
- You can also consume a mixture of ginseng powder and honey , which is in the form of a paste .
- You can easily prepare the same mixture yourself.
- It is important to consult your doctor before using the product. Because ginseng powder may cause side effects in some bodies.
- In addition, overdoses can have dangerous consequences. Headache, diarrhea, chest pain, nosebleeds, vaginal bleeding, rapid heartbeat, muscle cramps and high blood pressure are some of them.
- It is very important that you choose the brands and sales points you trust when buying prepackaged products or the plant itself.
- You may harm your health because there are imitations or non-quality versions of the product on the market.
- For this reason , it would be a healthy approach not to trust products containing cheap ginseng powder prices .