Christmas Cactus: Home Care and Reproduction
How to Grow a Christmas Cactus at Home? These days we are in are not only the harbinger of the new year, but also the period when the Christmas cactus flower blooms. The Christmas cactus flower blooms only once a year, on New Year’s Day. This plant takes its name from this feature. The flowers of the Christmas cactus plant come in shades of red, white and pink. These flowers are so beautiful; It gives a different atmosphere to the environment it is in. It helps you feel the enthusiasm of the New Year and New Year.
The Christmas cactus is also known as schlumbergera opuntioides. Although it is known as Christmas cactus in our country, its real name is schlumbergera opuntioides.
The Christmas cactus flower is very easy to care for. You can grow this flower, which never goes out of fashion and comes to the fore every year, at home if you wish. So, what should be considered when growing Christmas cactus flowers at home? How to care for this flower? In this article, we have examined the answers to all these questions for you.
How to Care for a Christmas Cactus?
The Christmas cactus does not bloom all year. However, we must say that this flower has an enchanting beauty when it blooms. When this flower care is done correctly and regularly, it will bloom close to the New Year. The Christmas cactus flower gets its name from this feature.
So, how to care for the Christmas cactus, what should be considered? Here are the Christmas cactus care tips…
Soil and Pot Selection
- The soil of the Christmas cactus flower should be airy and water-retaining.
- The most ideal is a natural and humus soil.
- The pot should not be small. You can choose a pot that is large enough for the soil and roots to fit comfortably.
- The Christmas cactus flower can be exposed to direct sunlight from December to February.
- However, it should not be exposed to direct sunlight in summer, especially at noon.
- The environment where the Christmas cactus is located should be bright. Therefore, you should make sure that the room receives enough daylight.
- The flower can be taken to the place where it will stand permanently in November. However, the location of the flower should not be changed after the buds open.
Heat and temperature
- In order for the Christmas cactus to bloom profusely, it must be in a cool environment.
- The ideal room temperature is 12-15 degrees.
- If the room it is in is too hot, the number of buds will be high, but the flower life will be short.
- The poinsettia cactus needs water regularly during the summer and when it blooms.
- This plant’s need for water decreases after the flowers fall and during the rest period.
- If you wish, you can add some plant nutrients to the irrigation water during the summer months.
- If the flower is standing in a breezy place during the summer, it can be watered when the soil is a little dry. However, other than that, it should be watered when the soil dries out during the summer months.
- Irrigation should be done slowly, uninterruptedly and all at once.
- Water should not wait on the plate under the pot. The supplied water should flow through the pot holes.
How to Propagate a Christmas Cactus?
- The Christmas cactus propagation method is very easy.
- This plant can be easily propagated by seeds and cuttings.
- In the seed method, you can take the seed of the flower and grow it in another pot.
- In the cutting method, you can cut off the gnarled leaves of the plant and plant it directly into the soil.
- The leaves planted in the ground will root in a short time.
- You need to place the rooted plant in a place where it will not receive bright and direct sunlight.
- After that, you can take care of the plant as we explained above.
When Does a Christmas Cactus Bloom?
- The Christmas cactus flower blooms once a year, close to Christmas.
- The flowers of this plant are in shades of white, pink and red.
- Therefore, when the Christmas cactus flower blooms, it adds a completely different atmosphere to the environment.
- If you have come across a flower-free period when you buy the Christmas cactus, you need to wait for a while.
- This elegant-looking flower, which shows its buds towards the end of the year, shows its flowers just before Christmas or a few days after the New Year.
- The pink-red flowers blooming among the green leaves create a striking landscape at home.
- You can grow the poinsettia on the bookshelf, on the table or on the balcony.
- As long as you follow the care tips given above, the Christmas cactus will add color to your home.
- We recommend that you take a look at the information on potting, irrigation, soil care for the plant to show its flowers.
- When a detail in care is neglected, the Christmas cactus can remain without flowers.
- The Christmas cactus, which adopts its place, loves its soil and takes water, shows its flowers in a short time.