Making Broccoli Casserole
Broccoli is a versatile vegetable that potato and pasta are considered best friends. So you can also prepare broccoli in different ways. This blog describes broccoli casserole that we know are delicious and everyone will enjoy.
Clean broccoli and cook briefly if necessary. Clean and prepare other ingredients. Then lay out the broccoli dish in layers. Finally, pour the sauce over the dish and sprinkle with (vegan) cheese.
Broccoli is not only tasty in an oven dish. Broccoli can be prepared in many ways. Read all about this in our blog ‘ How to Prepare Broccoli? ‘. We start by cleaning and cutting broccoli.
Broccoli florets are cut from the stem. If you are going to make an oven dish, I would not leave the florets very large because then the broccoli needs a longer cooking time.
A piece of the trunk must be cut off at the bottom. It’s a bit dried out. The rest of the trunk can be cut into small cubes and included in the oven dish. The broccoli stem is also delicious to eat. Try to make the pieces of equal size. This way it will cook evenly.
Wash the broccoli under running water in a colander. This way you get all the pests out. Let it drip into the colander.
Because broccoli goes in an oven dish, it is blanched first, with possibly other vegetables. As a result, broccoli retains its flavor and beautiful green color.
Blanching vegetables, and therefore also broccoli, is done in the following way:
Place a pan on a heat source with water and let it boil. Then put vegetables in the pan. The vegetables are allowed to cook for 3 minutes and then have to be removed from the water. Potatoes can be in the water in the same way for 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables or potatoes in the frying pan.
Vegetables and potatoes are cooked faster in the oven dish and all bacteria are killed. The broccoli also retains its beautiful green color. A nice extra.
Broccoli Casserole Healthy
For this healthy broccoli casserole you need the following ingredients for 4 people:
- 200 grams broccoli
- 100 grams of carrots scraped clean
- 300 grams potatoes waxy
- Vegetable butter for baking
- 150 grams of mushrooms
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- Pepper and salt
- 10 Cherry tomatoes washed and halved
- Grated cheese, vegetable based (Violife for example)
The preparation method is as follows:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the broccoli and carrot and blanch them as described above.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices of about one centimeter.
- Blanch the potatoes and set them aside. Let them cool a bit.
- Brush the mushrooms clean and cut them into 4 pieces, large mushrooms into 8 pieces.
- Fry the mushrooms briefly in the vegetable butter and press the garlic clove. Also add the thyme. Bake this for a while.
- Stir carrot and broccoli together with mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper and taste if this is enough.
- In an oven dish the potato slices may now be laid out in a tile-like manner.
- Divide the mixed vegetables over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella grated ‘cheese’ over the vegetables.
- Place the tomato halves on top of the ‘cheese’ with the open side up.
- Place the dish in the center of the oven to melt the cheese.
- After about 15 minutes you have a delicious broccoli oven dish.
Enjoy a healthy meal with this broccoli casserole.
Broccoli Potato Casserole
A spicy broccoli potato casserole with some salty bacon in it. We use vegan bacon from Albert Heijn and Violife grated cheese; Both taste delicious. For 4 people we need the following ingredients:
- Broccoli 600 grams
- Potatoes 500 grams
- Soy milk unsweetened
- Bacon (vegan) 100 grams
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Pepper and salt
The preparation method is as follows:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Put water in a pan with some salt. Place the potatoes on a heat source and cook them for 15 minutes.
- Cut and blanch the broccoli into florets as described above.
- Chop the shallots and fry them briefly. Crush the garlic, add it to the shallots and fry for a while. Place this onion mixture in a bowl.
- Puree the potatoes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Mash the potatoes and add soy milk. Mash until you get a smooth puree. Sprinkle in the nutmeg.
- Fry the bacon and make them slightly crispy.
- Grease a baking dish and place the mashed potatoes in it. Sprinkle white pepper over it.
- Stir the onion/garlic through the blanched broccoli and place over the mashed potatoes. Divide this up a bit.
- Arrange the bacon bits over the broccoli and divide them over it.
- Sprinkle (a lot of) cheese on the broccoli and put the dish in the oven to let the cheese melt.
- After 15 minutes, the dish can be removed from the oven.
Enjoy your meal with this broccoli potato casserole casserole.
Broccoli Pasta Casserole
The next casserole is a broccoli pasta casserole with tomatoes. A very tasty variation on the casserole with broccoli. You need the following:
- 600 grams Broccoli in small florets
- 300 grams Penne
- 100 grams of vegan bacon strips
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves (or more)
- Sunflower oil or vegetable butter
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 pack of sieved tomatoes
- Grated cheese (vegetable)
This is a quick recipe. Before you know it, you’re done and it’s in the oven. It doesn’t taste any less.
We will use these ingredients in the following way:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Shred the onions.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets as described above.
- Put a pan of water on for the Penne and cook until al dente.
- Place a frying pan on the heat source and fry the onions in some oil.
- Crush the garlic and add it to the onions. Bake this for a while.
- Add the broccoli to the onions and stir through.
- Add diced tomatoes and the sieved tomatoes to the broccoli and heat well. Let it simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Fry the bacon strips in a frying pan and add them to the tomato mixture. Stir it well.
- When the Penne is cooked, drain and return it to the skillet. Stir the Penne and tomato mixture together.
- Put the pasta with the broccoli tomato sauce in an oven dish and sprinkle the cheese over it. Place it in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
Enjoy your meal!
Casserole Broccoli Minced Meat
This delicious minced broccoli casserole is easy to make. You can extend the recipe with en roux that you pour over it. Both tasty, with and without roux. It is very tasty and full of vitamins. Enjoy this delicious oven dish.
Requirements for 4 people:
- 500 grams broccoli/cauliflower
- 300 grams of pasta
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- soy milk
- Noble yeast flakes
- 500 grams of minced meat, the vegetable variant
- 1 can of tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 handful freshly washed parsley or 1 full tsp dried parsley
- 15 cherry tomatoes cut in half
You can make a roux to pour over the broccoli casserole. This is not necessary but very nice.
Ingredients for the roux:
- 20 grams of flour
- 20 grams of vegetable butter
- 200 ml garden herb stock
- 2 tbsp Noble yeast flakes for the nutty cheese flavour. If you don’t want this, you can leave it out.
For the roux, melt the vegetable butter in a pan. When the butter has melted, gradually add the flour.
Now keep stirring well and add flour until it is used up. It should not become too dry and should be able to fry nicely (should not be lumpy), otherwise add a little bit of butter. Now fry the flour for about 3 minutes and keep stirring.
Now add the stock little by little. Pay attention! It will steam and you can easily burn your hands. Keep stirring as the flour absorbs the stock and it becomes thick.
Add stock until it has reached a custard thickness or slightly thinner, without lumps. Keep stirring until this is achieved and add a handful of grated cheese (or add Edel yeast flakes and stir well if you go vegan). Stir in the cheese and the roux is ready.
Broccoli Casserole Making Minced Meat
Let’s continue with making the broccoli casserole:
- Cut and blanch the broccoli as described above.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Fry the meat for a while. The vegetable version does not need to be cooked, it already is. Warm it up well. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper and paprika. Then add the tomato puree and fry for a minute or three. Turn off the heat source.
- Place a layer of vegetable/tomato sauce in an oven dish, the pasta is allowed over that and a layer of vegetable/tomato sauce.
- Place parsley on top.
- Pour the roux (or cheese sauce) over it
- Place the sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with some grated cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven for 20 minutes. If it threatens to burn, put silver foil over it to prevent it from burning.
- Remove the broccoli dish from the oven and serve.
Enjoy your meal with the last broccoli casserole.