12 Benefits of Green Onions That Will Shock You
It is a food that experts often recommend with the benefits of green onions, which are generally used in salads and sometimes in various dishes. 100 grams of green onion, which is a low-calorie food, has 29 kcal calories. It is rich in fiber, protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins A and C, potassium, calcium and iron.
The carbohydrate value of 100 grams of green onions is 4.9 grams. The protein value of the same amount of green onions is 1.3 grams. In the light of all these values, it is possible to say that green onion is a very rich food in terms of nutritional value.
“Do green onions make milk?” The question does not stay in the minds of breastfeeding mothers, we know! Yes, green onions make milk, but it also changes the taste of milk. The baby may therefore refuse to breastfeed. Therefore, it should be consumed in a controlled manner and the baby’s reactions should be followed.
Benefits of Green Onions: 12 Properties That Will Shock You
1) Supports the Immune System
- In the study conducted by the National Institute of Vegetable and Tea Sciences within the body of the National Agriculture and Food Research Organization in 2013; It has been observed that green onions increase the level and activity of cells that support the immune system. This helps to strengthen the immune system and prevents the formation of diseases and infections in the body.
- In addition, each serving of green onions contains a concentrated dose of vitamin C. Studies have shown that foods rich in vitamin C strengthen the body’s defense mechanism.
2) Helps to Coagulate Blood
- Blood coagulation is vital to our life. When we are injured, the blood has to clot in order for the bleeding to stop. Platelets and plasmas in the blood enable blood to clot.
- Vitamin K also plays an important role in blood clotting. Green onions are a storehouse of vitamin K. So that; Half a glass of green onions can meet the entire daily vitamin K requirement.
3) Protects Heart Health
- In a study conducted by the Herbal Resources Research Center of the Korea Institute of Natural Medicine in 2011, it was revealed that onion extract greatly reduced many heart disease risk factors such as total cholesterol, bad (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides.
- In another study, mice treated with scallion extract proved to have improved blood flow.
- In addition, the vitamin K in the content of green onions protects heart health. Studies have shown that vitamin K prevents calcium deposits in the arterial wall, thus preventing the hardening of the arteries.
4) Strengthens Bones
- With its high vitamin K content, green onions not only reduce the risk of heart disease and blood clotting, but also strengthen bones.
- vitamin K; It provides the production of protein, which is necessary to protect the calcium in the bones and increase the bone density, thus improving the bone density.
5) Inhibits the Growth of Cancerous Cells
- One of the most important benefits of green onions is that it inhibits the growth of cancerous cells.
- In the scientific study conducted in 2012; Mice with colon cancer were fed green onion extract for a period of time.
- As a result of the study, it was proved that scallion extract slowed the growth of tumors, reduced infection and, above all, increased the survival rate of mice.
- In another study conducted by the Maryland National Cancer Institute; It has been shown that a higher amount of onion consumption reduces the risk of prostate cancer by up to 30 percent.
- Green onions contain a compound called allicin, which has an important role in fighting cancer.
6) Helps Weight Loss
- For those who wonder if green onions weaken it, let’s explain it right away. Green onion, which is a food rich in nutritional value, is low in calories. Green onions, which have a high fiber content, fight constipation. It meets almost 10 percent of daily fiber needs. Protects intestinal health and supports weight loss.
- In the study conducted by the Herbal Resources Research Center within the Korean Natural Medicine Institute in 2011; Mice were fed only green onions for 6.5 weeks. At the end of the study, it was observed that the body weight of the mice decreased, especially the fat cells. In addition, it has been revealed that protein levels that help fat burning increase.
7) Reduces Digestive Problems
- When green onions are boiled and consumed, they reduce digestive and intestinal problems.
- It allows the toxins accumulated in the body to be excreted through the urinary tract.
- Since it is a food rich in fiber and probiotics, it contributes to better digestion.
8) It Is A Natural Anti-Inflammatory
- Green onion, which is a natural anti-inflammatory, prevents inflammation in the body.
- It does not allow inflammation to accumulate in the body.
- In addition, it helps to easily remove the inflammatory edema accumulated in the bones and muscles due to uric acid in the body.
- It prevents the formation of edema.
9) Effective Against Asthma
- Green onion is a natural remedy against asthma attacks. It helps to clear the inflammation in the lungs.
- It has an expectorant effect. Contributes to clearing the throat during illness.
- It ensures the regeneration of cells in the section from the throat to the esophagus. It reduces the risk of cancer in these departments.
10) Protects Eye Health
- When it comes to eye health, the first thing that comes to mind is carrots. However, green onions are at least as effective as carrots in terms of eye health.
- Thanks to the vitamin A in its content, it balances the vitamin and fluid ratios in the eye.
11) Strengthens the Stomach Wall
- Green onions strengthen the stomach wall and prevent diseases from living.
- However, it is not recommended to consume large amounts of green onions, especially for those with stomach disorders.
12) Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
- Sulfur chromium, an ingredient in green onions, helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Sulfur compounds contribute to increasing the body’s ability to produce insulin. Thus, the blood sugar rate is controlled and glucose tolerance develops.
- Despite this, diabetic patients are recommended to consume green onions in a controlled manner.
- Green onions are often added to salads. It is consumed raw. It can also be consumed cooked in meals from time to time.
- Green onions, an indispensable food of traditional Turkish cuisine, have been used in alternative medicine in the Far East for centuries.
- The appearance of green onions varies depending on the soil in which it is grown. For example, green onions grown in Asian countries are thick and wide like leeks, while those grown in our country are thinner and softer.
- Green onions, which are included in the onion family; garlic is in the same group as leek and chives.
- Green onions are very easy to grow. It can be grown in any month and season of the year. However, the highest yield is obtained in the spring season.
- It is ready to be collected in 8-10 weeks in summer and 12-14 weeks in winter.
- It can be stored in the vegetable section of the refrigerator at home.