What is Mise en Place in Gastronomy?
Order and organization are a must-have concept in order to do good work in the kitchen. The French term to describe it is mise and place; In Turkish, it means that everything is in the desired place at the desired time in the kitchen.
The more successfully mise en place is made before proceeding to the main procedures in the recipe, the faster and healthier the progress can be. For example, considering the ready-made materials to be used in the recipe, the kitchen utensils to be used are waiting in a clean state, the serving plate and other auxiliary tools are within mise and place.
Mise and place are grammatically pronounced as mizanplas. In Turkish, it can also appear in books as mizanplas in our language.
What is Mise en Place (Mizanplas)?
- We can briefly answer the question of what is Mizanplas: Mise en place, with its original expression, is the most organized form of the preliminary preparation stage that professional cooks and kitchen staff should definitely know and apply.
- In fact, the direct equivalent in French means “to put in place”. In addition, mise en place, in terms of terms, means that everything in the kitchen is in its place.
- Before cooking a meal, the steps such as putting the pot on the stove, chopping the onions and the ingredients to be used, and putting the water on the stove beforehand if boiling water is to be used are among the essentials for the kitchen.
- Mizanplas is one of the first words that come across those who are interested in the field of gastronomy. Great chefs say that those who don’t care about the layout will be very slow to progress in the kitchen. Because bad mizanplas means slow work and speed is very important in the kitchen. One of the first things taught in chef schools is the knowledge of misapplies.
- The concept of Mizanplas dates back to the 1800s. Georges Auguste Escoffier is about to eat French cuisine master and make regular and orderly is known as the person who first started work on being.
- In other words, the concept of the order has not only come to the preparation stage, but also to the service and eating stage in parallel with the preparation.
Examples of Mizanplas in the Kitchen
Well, let’s take a look at the list we have compiled for mizanplas, what to do before moving on to the step-by-step food preparation.
- Carefully study your recipe in writing.
- Review all the ingredients to be used in the recipe.
- In order to make your recipe in the fastest and most efficient way, make a good plan about which steps you need to order and how.
- Start the processes that require preliminary preparation, such as boiling water, heating pans first.
- Whisk, spoon, etc. Keep the necessary kitchen utensils clean and in the easiest place to reach.
- Position your trash nearby. Use more than one litter if necessary.
- Since minor accidents may occur in the kitchen, it would be good to keep your extra cleaning clothes and the handles in your apron pocket.
- Put all of the materials to be used in separate containers and place them on the counter properly.
- Prepare products with preliminary stages such as chopping and grating.
Mizanplus is a discipline that partially continues during the recipe. For example, if you don’t use your kitchen utensils while cooking progresses, removing them from the counter means that you maintain order in the area while cooking.