What is Hives? What’s Good? 14 Natural Remedies
The medical name of the skin condition known as hives among the people is urticaria. This disorder, which affects many people today, manifests itself with inflamed and itchy rashes on the surface of the skin. It usually occurs suddenly and goes away on its own within 24 hours.
In some cases, the duration of treatment can take years. There can be many factors that trigger hives, but it usually occurs for 3 reasons. These are food allergies, drug allergies and various inflammations. Hives can also be seen in some chronic diseases.
Hives are a medically treatable condition. Along with medical treatment, patients can apply natural treatments for hives to speed up the healing process. If you have urticaria, you can reduce your complaints by applying the herbal treatment methods for hives that we will list now.
What is Hives?
- Hives; They are itchy and swollen rashes that appear suddenly on the surface of the skin, with a pale red center in the middle.
- The medical name for the condition is urticaria.
- It can occur all over the body, or it can occur in just one area.
- The sizes of the rashes often differ. Rashes of different sizes can occur, ranging from a few millimeters to several centimeters. The rashes may even coalesce to form larger rashes.
- In some cases, skin rashes may be accompanied by swelling on the lips, inside the mouth and on the face.
- Rashes usually disappear on their own within 24 hours.
- There are 6 types of hives: These are: acute hives, chronic hives, dermatological hives, physical hives and genetic hives.
- Acute hives develop suddenly and usually go away in less than 6 weeks. It is usually caused by drug and food allergies, infection.
- Chronic hives last longer than 6 weeks.
- Dermatological urticaria is caused by exposure of the skin to harsh movements.
- Physical hives can be caused by factors such as exposure to extreme cold or heat, sun rays, sweating, and pressure.
- Genetic urticaria, on the other hand, as the name suggests, is the type that is seen through genetic transmission. If a family member has hives, it is more likely to occur in others.
What Is Good For Hives? 14 Herbal Final Solutions at Home
Some herbs and foods are good for hives by reducing the increased histamine level. In addition, some applications that you can do at home can reduce the itching and burning sensation caused by hives. Here are the herbal solutions you can try for the home treatment of hives!
1) Cold Compress
- If you say I have itching, what is good for hives, I am looking for a quick solution at home, cold application will help you.
- Cold compress, which is good for itching, also reduces inflammation.
- You can reduce the symptoms by applying a cold and damp cloth to the affected area.
- You can apply this application, which has no side effects, during your hives treatment.
- Parsley is one of the first options you come across when you do a research on what is good for hives.
- Scientific studies have shown that parsley, which is an alkaline food, stops the release of histamine.
- If you suffer from hives, you can reduce your complaints by drinking the juice of a bunch of parsley.
- We recommend parsley and other anti-inflammatory foods to those who ask, “What should a patient with hives eat?”
- Consuming parsley and anti-inflammatory foods regularly protects the body from many diseases. These foods are also good for urticaria.
- Those who say what to apply to hives get good results by trying baking soda.
- Although hives are usually difficult to remove when they occur, it is possible to prevent new rashes and relieve itching with baking soda.
- You can get support from baking soda to reduce the rashes caused by hives and to prevent the formation of new rashes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with some cold water until it becomes a paste. Then apply this mixture on your rashes in a thin layer. After the mixture is completely dry, clean it from your body with lukewarm water.
- If you feel relief in your body, you can repeat this mixture several times a day.
- Ginger, which is almost at the top of the list of anti-inflammatory foods, is also good for hives.
- Add 250 grams of powdered ginger to 4 liters of room temperature water and wait 5-10 minutes for the ginger to completely mix into the water. Then pour this water into a bathtub or a suitable container and enter this water. After waiting for a while in the water, rinse with lukewarm water.
- If you do not want to use ginger as in this method, you can include it in your nutrition program and consume it regularly. Ginger is good not only for hives, but also for many ailments.
- As a food rich in vitamin C, grapefruit is one of the foods that is good for hives.
- You can speed up the healing process by consuming grapefruit regularly.
- However, we recommend that you consult your doctor before consuming grapefruit. Because grapefruit can interact with some medications and cause serious side effects. For this reason, you should not consume grapefruit without the approval of your doctor.
- Chamomile is a nature antihistamine. However, it can cause allergies in some bodies, so it is useful to consume it carefully.
- You can use chamomile tea to reduce the complaints caused by hives.
- Throw 2-3 tablespoons of dried chamomile into 500 ml of boiled water and wait 5 minutes for it to infuse. When the brewing time is up, you can strain your tea and consume it.
- If it tastes bitter, you can add honey or lemon.
- You can consume this tea in a maximum of 2 cups a day or add it to your bath water.
- Chamomile, which is among the plants that are good for hives, also acts as a precaution with its stress-reducing effect if your rash is caused by stress.
7) Pig Grass
- Tea prepared with pork seeds is very effective against ailments such as eczema and psoriasis.
- To prepare this tea, you need to do; Adding 2 teaspoons of pork seeds to 750 ml of boiled water and waiting for it to infuse for 20 minutes.
- You can apply the tea you have prepared on the rashes with the help of a cloth.
8) Aloe Vera
- Among the things that are good for hives, there is also aloe vera, which is a solution to many skin problems.
- Aloe vera, which contains high amounts of vitamin E, is very beneficial for the skin.
- You can use aloe vera lotion to reduce itching caused by hives and to relax your skin.
9) Oatmeal Bath
- Oatmeal, which is generally used for itching, is also a cure for those who seek herbal solutions for itchy rash.
- You can take an oatmeal bath to reduce the fire and itching on your skin.
- Put some oats in cheesecloth or socks and cover the mouth with a rubber to prevent the oats from spilling.
- Fill the tub with warm water and put the oatmeal in it. Stand in this water for a while, then take a shower with warm water.
- Onion, which is an anti-inflammatory food, is also effective against hives.
- Apply the onion that you cut in half to the rashes and do not rinse immediately. You can even keep the onion on the rash with the help of a bandage.
- However, we must warn you that this method is somewhat painful at first. Although the onion burns the area at first, it relaxes the skin afterwards.
- Turmeric, a member of the anti-inflammatory foods group, is good for urticaria.
- You can reduce the symptoms of urticaria by consuming turmeric regularly.
12) Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is another food that we would recommend to those who are looking for an herbal solution for hives.
- This miraculous nutrient reduces skin inflammation and relieves itching caused by hives.
- If the rash is not too much on your body, you can pour apple cider vinegar on a clean cloth and apply a compress on the rash.
- If the spills have spread too much, fill the tub with water, pour some apple cider vinegar into it and soak in it for at least 20 minutes.
- Since hives are a skin problem, it may seem as if it can only be an external intervention, but it is also possible to treat from the inside.
- Figs are among the foods that are good for hives.
- Fig, which is both a delicious and healthy fruit, is a very effective food in the fight against hives.
- In addition to hives, you can consume figs as fresh fruit or dried fruit, which is good for many skin disorders.
14) Broom Seed
- What is good for hives Saraçoğlu’s recommendation is broom seed. İbrahim Saraçoğlu recommends that 1 teaspoon of broom seeds be crushed in a mortar and consumed morning and evening.
- In addition, Saraçoğlu recommends urticaria patients to consume 2 glasses of lemon balm tea during the day.
What Causes Hives?
- Hives; It is triggered by internal or external factors such as allergens, various inflammatory infections, cold-heat, sunlight, sweat, effort, thyroid diseases, rheumatic diseases, pressure.
- Some blood pressure medications, pain relievers, antibiotics, stress and hormonal changes can also cause hives.
- There is usually no triggering factor in chronic urticaria.
- In these cases, the ratio of histamine and PAF from mast cells increases in the patient.
- This causes the blood vessels in the skin to widen, making them permeable to blood fluid.
- The blood plasma spreads to the skin and causes a rash called hives.
- Hives is a treatable disease that affects about 20 percent of people during their lifetime.
The factors that trigger hives can be summarized as follows:
- Certain foods (especially eggs, milk, nuts, peanuts, pistachios, shellfish)
- Bee and insect stings
- External factors such as cold and hot weather, pressure, sweat, exercise, sun allergy
- Various chemicals
- dust mites
- some plants
- feeding animals
- Bacterial infections (urinary tract infection, throat infection)
- Viral infections (hepatitis, common cold)
- blood transfusions
- Thyroid and rheumatic diseases
Hives Symptoms, How to Tell?
The most obvious symptom of hives is a swollen, itchy rash on the skin. There is a burning sensation along with itching. In acute urticaria, the rash usually resolves spontaneously within 24 hours without leaving any traces.
The symptoms of hives can be summarized as follows:
- skin redness
- skin swelling
- Swelling of the lips and eyelids
- A red rash that can appear all over the body, including the lips, around the eyes, and genitals
What Should A Hives Patient Not Eat?
- Foods that cause allergies in the body cause histamine levels to increase. For this reason, foods that cause allergic reactions in the body and foods made from these foods should definitely not be consumed.
- Generally, milk and dairy products, gluten, nuts, peanuts, peanuts, tomatoes, strawberries and fish are the most allergenic foods.
- Those who ask what should the patients with hives eat , should first stay away from such allergic foods and consult their doctor and have a food intolerance test done as soon as possible.
- Patients with urticaria should stay away from foods with additives , especially during the active period of the disease, apart from foods that are harmful to urticaria .
Is Hives Contagious?
- The source and trigger of urticaria can vary from person to person.
- It doesn’t matter what type it is, urticaria is definitely not a contagious disease.
How Is Hives Treated?
- Hives is a disease that can be solved for sure.
- The diagnosis can usually be made by patient history and physical examination.
- In necessary cases, some tests may be requested by the doctor for a definitive diagnosis.
- The basic principle in the treatment of hives is to find the trigger that causes this ailment and to stay away from this trigger.
- If the patient has a food allergy and this causes hives, the first goal is to find the source of the allergy and ensure that the patient stays away from this food.
- If the hives are caused by bee or insect stings, venom-directed immunotherapy treatment can be applied.
- Dermatology (skin, skin and venereal diseases) department should be visited for diagnosis and treatment. In cases of urticaria that develops suddenly, if the dermatology department cannot be visited, emergency service can be applied.
- Antihistamines are generally used for treatment. Drugs in this group relieve the patient by suppressing the redness and itching in the body.
- The dosage of the drug is determined by the doctor. In addition, the use of creams and lotions may be recommended by the physician.
- People with urticaria are advised to stay away from stress.
- These people need to pay attention to physical factors such as cold and heat, food and drug allergies.
- It is not recommended to use drugs without the advice of a doctor.
- In addition, it is recommended to wear comfortable and wide clothes, to stay away from foods and chemicals containing dyes and additives, and to use moisturizing lotions and creams that do not contain perfume.
- What is good for chronic urticaria, do not worry if it is not possible to get rid of hives, there are alternative ways, you can also try acupuncture.