Nutrition During Menstrual Period in 5 Questions, Dietitian Answered
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS), the premenstrual period, is a period that starts about 1 week before menstruation every month, and some psychological and physiological problems occur.
Factors thought to be effective in the emergence of PMS symptoms in the literature:
- hormone imbalance,
- thyroid dysfunction,
- Hypoglycemia (lower than normal blood sugar level),
- Fluid retention (Accumulation, retention. For example; Urinary retention; urinary retention, inability to urinate.)
- genetic factors,
- Stress and psychological.
Studies have shown that not only hormonal changes, but also the culture of the individual, the working and educational status of the mother, the status and attitude of getting information about menstruation, and other menstrual problems such as dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) may be effective in the emergence of PMS . It is stated that 85% of menstruating women have one or more PMS symptoms. Symptoms of PMS can be mild, moderate or severe.
PMS produces physical, psychological and behavioral changes. Among the most common symptoms are:
- Uncontrollable anger
- increased appetite
- acne breakout
- abdominal swelling
- Stomach ache
- weight gain
- hot flashes
- Sensitivity to odors
- digestive system disorder
- Anxiety (an anxiety over future events and fear is a reaction to current events)
- decrease in concentration
- Fullness and tenderness in the breasts
- Symptoms such as muscle and joint pain.
- The vast majority of women experience troubling problems like these symptoms a few days before their period, but these symptoms are normal.
1) Should I Eat for Sweet Crashes During Menstrual Period?
- When the amount of magnesium in the body decreases during the menstrual period, the tendency to sugary foods increases. For this reason, they should also increase their magnesium intake during menstruation. Foods rich in magnesium; hard-shelled fruits, almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, legumes, cocoa, whole grains, green leafy vegetables.
- At the same time, the level of estrogen hormone decreases during menstruation. As the estrogen hormone decreases, blood sugar drops. This causes an increase in appetite and the need to eat sweets.
- For sweet needs, you can choose fruits such as dried dates, dried apricots, dried figs for snacks.
- You can reduce the need for sweets by adding cinnamon sticks to your tea or water. (Do not use by those with low blood pressure)
- You can consume 1 tablespoon of molasses or 1 teaspoon of honey for breakfast.
- You can make diet dessert recipes and consume them. There is more than enough on my page.
- Instead of sherbet and creamy desserts, try to consume dark chocolate or milk desserts.
2) What is Good for Period Constipation?
Constipation may occur due to decreased bowel movements during the menstrual period. To reduce the problem of constipation:
- First of all, you need to drink plenty of water. (Minimum 2-2.5 liters)
- Consume plenty of probiotic foods. (Yogurt, kefir, pickles etc.)
- You should choose foods with high fiber content.
- Dried Legumes (Dried Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils, Kidney Beans)
- Whole wheat bread, rye and oat bread, wholemeal biscuits, whole wheat pasta.
- Raw vegetables, salad
- You can consume 1 teaspoon of cold-pressed black seed oil in the morning.
- In addition, if you increase your daily movements and physical activity, your intestines will work more regularly.
- If you have constipation despite trying these, you can take a probiotic supplement.
- You can choose fennel tea for bloating.
3) How Do Swelling and Edema During Menstrual Period Go?
- The most important thing to reduce edema formation is adequate water consumption and salt restriction.
- You should consume at least 2.5 liters of water per day.
- High water content; Foods such as pineapple, cucumber, and hood are foods that help relieve edema. Especially thanks to the bromelain in the pineapple content, it helps to solve my edema and burn fat.
- Parsley, ginger, cherry stalk, green tea, corn silk also help to relieve edema. You can also make and consume detox water or tea.
(There are also recipes for payment on my page.)
- While daily salt consumption should be 6 g, we consume too much salt, so we prepare the ground for edema. You can reduce salt in meals and use spices such as chili pepper, black pepper and thyme instead.
- Besides salt, pickles, brine, sausage, sausage, pastrami, canned food, tomato paste, smoked, packaged foods with unknown content contain too much salt, so these foods should be minimized during this period.
4) What Relieves Tension and Stress During Menstrual Period?
- When the amount of magnesium decreases during the PMS period, fatigue, weakness, exhaustion and irritability occur.
- Muscle cramps, tension, low morale and unnecessary use of painkillers can be prevented by taking advantage of the relaxing and improving mental health effects of magnesium, potassium and selenium minerals.
- For this, dried nuts such as bananas, dark chocolate, almonds, walnuts, soy, legumes, whole grains, green vegetables, eggs, apricots, pineapple, strawberries, figs can be eaten.
- B vitamins are also very effective on the nervous system. In the deficiency of B vitamins, depressive behaviors, tension, irritability, depression may occur. Therefore, intake of B vitamins is always important.
- Cereals, legumes, oatmeal, dairy products, meat, chicken, eggs, cheese, green leafy vegetables are foods rich in B vitamins.
5) Why Does Weight Increase During Menstrual Period?
- One week before the menstrual period, there is an average increase of 200 calories in basal metabolic rate. In other words, you can increase 200 calories in addition to your daily diet.
- During this period, you may see 1-2 kg more than your normal weight due to edema.
- Due to the accumulation of fluid in the body, edema occurs and body weight increases, but after the period ends, the accumulated fluids are removed from the body and the weight returns to normal. Therefore, this situation is normal and temporary, do not worry in vain.
- If you do not lose weight by following a diet during this period, do not worry, if you continue your diet, you will lose weight next week.
5 Great Tips to Loosen You During Your Period
- Focus on Iron Containing Foods: Iron deficiency; it causes weakness, fatigue, forgetfulness, hair loss, difficulty in concentration. Therefore, consumption of iron-rich foods is important during this period. Liver, red meat, eggs, legumes, spinach, nuts, dried fruits are foods rich in iron.
- Consume Plenty of Magnesium: Vitamin B6 and magnesium deficiency damage nerves, cause muscle pain and acne on the skin. Animal foods are foods rich in vitamin B6.
- Less Caffeine, More B6: If you consume plenty of foods rich in vitamin B6, fibrous foods, and minimize salt and caffeine during PMS, you will see that menstrual complaints decrease. In addition, sage, chamomile tea, lemon balm tea will relax you more during this period.
- Exercise and Sports: Exercise should be continued during this period in order to maintain hormonal balance and appetite control, and to control other complaints during the menstrual period.
- Hobbies & Activities – Meditation: Make sure to include any activity you can take under control of stress, such as hobbies, interests, meditation, yoga.
I hope this information was useful to you, stay healthy 😊 Best regards…