Kefir Yeast: How is made, stored and multiplied? Illustrated
Kefir is a word of Russian origin and means pleasing. Kefir yeast, which has a deep-rooted history, was first made in the Caucasus. We will answer a few of the most frequently asked questions and move on to making kefir yeast without waiting for you, are you ready?
What is the essence of kefir yeast?
- Kefir yeast is a fermented milk product with a slightly sour taste.
- Yeast, which is formed as a result of fermentation of milk acids and alcohol, has a thick consistency and foamy structure.
- In recent years, with the increasing trend towards organic nutrition, the interest in kefir yeast has also increased.
- Kefir can be bought ready-made in the markets or kefir can be made at home using kefir yeast.
- The question of why kefir yeast is formed is one of the questions asked about kefir. Kefir made at home contains 77 types of probiotics that are especially beneficial for the intestines.
What does kefir yeast do?
The health benefits of kefir, which is considered the secret of long life, are endless!
- Probiotic bacteria in kefir yeast regulate the digestive system, speed up the work of the intestines and eliminate problems such as constipation and indigestion.
- It strengthens the body’s immune system and supports its fight against diseases.
- It helps to remove microbes from the body by increasing the body’s resistance, especially in seasonal transitions.
What is in kefir yeast?
- One of the most frequently asked kefir questions is what is in kefir yeast. Kefir, which contains high levels of calcium and magnesium, protects bone and dental health and prevents bone loss during menopause.
- Kefir yeast, which is also rich in vitamin A and vitamin C, facilitates the elimination of toxic substances in the body with its antioxidant content.
- It prevents the formation of edema by removing excess water and salt accumulated in the body.
- It balances cholesterol and protects cardiovascular health.
- In addition, making yogurt with kefir yeast increases the bacterial flora of yogurt, which is beneficial to health.
Tip: You can follow the photo explanation of making kefir yeast, which consists of 7 stages, throughout the article, and you can find the answers to all the questions in your mind from a single source.
What is Kefir Yeast?
- One of the most frequently asked questions about kefir is what is the raw material of kefir yeast. Kefir yeast, which is the main ingredient of kefir, is kefir grains.
- Kefir grains, also known as kefir seeds, are a complex microbiological structure.
- Kefir grains, 0.5 – 3 centimeters in size, are the size of wheat grains and range in color from white to yellow.
So, how about kefir yeast?
- Kefir seeds, which resemble popcorn or cauliflower grains, are fermented with goat or sheep milk to form kefir, a sour drink.
- Kefir seeds are a probiotic and a bacterium, lactic acid bacteria.
- During fermentation, carbon dioxide is released from kefir grains and this gives kefir a foamy structure.
- The most striking feature of kefir grains is that they can be filtered and reused after fermentation.
- When kefir yeast, which is insoluble in water, is added to milk, it swells and turns into a whiter color.
- There are two types of kefir yeast, dry and wet.
How to Make Natural Kefir Yeast at Home?
- First of all, let’s point out, just like when preparing homemade yogurt, we separate some ‘leavened’ yogurt from the previous yogurt, and when preparing kefir yeast, it is necessary to prepare homemade kefir obtained from kefir yeast and raw milk.
- By straining kefir prepared with yeast and milk, you separate the white particles resembling popcorn grains and obtain sustainable kefir yeast.
- In summary, even if you can’t make kefir yeast from scratch, by purchasing ready-made kefir yeast for 1 time and then starting to produce your own kefir, you will actually have obtained kefir yeast at the same time.
Let‘s talk about making kefir with kefir yeast. This process is pretty easy. Why is kefir yeast, which stands out with its health benefits, made?
- kefir yeast
- glass jar
- Wooden spoon or wire whisk
How to obtain natural kefir yeast? Here is the preparation!
- Raw milk should be used when making kefir. It is very difficult to make kefir yeast with pasteurized milk sold in markets. Raw milk, called open milk, is the most suitable choice for making probiotic kefir yeast.
- After boiling, let the raw milk rest at room temperature (it should be enough to withstand a few seconds when you dip your pinky finger) to purify it from bacteria or germs in it.
- After bringing the milk you bought in the glass jar to room temperature, pour the kefir yeast into the milk with the help of a wooden spoon.
- For 1 liter of milk, kefir yeast in the size of 1 walnut is sufficient.
- After adding the kefir yeast to the milk, close the lid of the glass jar.
- Fermentation process varies between 8 – 24 hours.
So, how is kefir yeast formed?
- You can understand that the fermentation process has taken place by looking at the condition of the milk in the glass jar.
- Kefir is ready when it has a consistency like curdled milk.
- For a denser consistency, it is enough to wait 48 hours.
How to Multiply Kefir Yeast?
Breeding kefir yeast is a fairly simple process. When you strain the kefir you prepare at home, the particles that come out are kefir yeast. You can put the strained kefir yeast in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
The answer to the question of how kefir yeast is produced:
- Kefir grains carry out the process of self-replication.
- You can share the kefir yeast, which has been waiting in the refrigerator for about 10 days without spoiling, with your environment and make use of it by making new kefir.
- It is important that you consume the kefir you have prepared within 2-3 days so that its nutritional values are not lost.
How to Store Kefir Yeast? 3 Different Methods
1) Refrigerator Method (10 Days)
How to store purchased or obtained kefir yeast?
- As a short-term solution, you can put kefir yeast in milk in a container and store it in the refrigerator for about 10 days.
2) Deep Freeze Freezing Method (2 months)
Can kefir yeast be stored in the freezer? Here is the answer!
- For long-term storage, you can freeze kefir yeast.
- Wash your yeast with clean drinking water, put it on a clean towel and freeze it by placing it in the freezer section of the refrigerator.
3) Drying Method (+12 Months)
Another storage method is to dry kefir yeast:
- Take the kefir yeast you washed with drinking water on a clean towel and dry it in an area with good ventilation until it turns yellow.
- You can put the kefir yeast, which dries completely within 2 – 5 days, in an airtight glass jar or in a storage bag with a zippered lid and store it in the refrigerator.
- Kefir yeast can be used for a long time when the storage conditions are suitable.
Where to Find Kefir Yeast? Where to Buy?
The most curious thing about kefir, which draws attention with its benefits, is how the first kefir yeast was found:
- Kefir was first found 5000 years ago by the Central Asian Turks, who led a nomadic life.
- Nomadic Turks, who raised horses, goats and sheep, fermented dairy products to prepare various drinks.
- Fermented products such as ayran, yogurt and kefir helped the Turks living at that time to be healthy.
- Today, you can obtain kefir yeast that you want to use to prepare kefir at home from a friend who makes kefir.
If you do not have such a chance, in which markets is kefir yeast available?
- You can buy ready-made kefir yeast from universities that prepare yeast, from agricultural faculties, from companies that sell organic products, and from kefir yeast vendors that sell online.
- So, is kefir yeast found in herbalists? You can obtain kefir yeast from herbalists selling organic products.
How Much Does Kefir Yeast Cost?
- You can use the kefir yeast you buy for years by keeping it alive or keeping it in a suitable environment.
- Real kefir yeast prices vary depending on the brand and amount.
- Well, how much is kefir yeast sold in markets, herbalists and on the internet? The amount of 100 milliliters of kefir yeast varies between 20 lira and 50 lira.
- Original kefir yeast prices are slightly more expensive.
Does Kefir Yeast Deteriorate?
- If your kefir yeast is not used with clean equipment, it will deteriorate.
- If you do not boil the raw milk you use, harmful microorganisms in its content may spoil your yeast.
- When you touch kefir grains by hand, your yeast may break down.
So, how do I know if kefir yeast is spoiled?
- You can tell by the taste that kefir is spoiled.
- If kefir yeast is not properly taken care of, a bad smell and taste occurs, and in this case, your yeast is probably spoiled.
- A high amount of stickiness, abnormal appearance, dark yellow color, an offensive odor, and flattening of the rounded appearance of the yeast grains are a sign that your yeast has deteriorated.
- The kefir yeast from spoons, jugs, jars, funnels and unboiled milk used for making kefir is contaminated and spoiled.
Is Kefir Yeast Eaten?
- Kefir grains contain beneficial yeast for the body.
- It can be drunk and eaten by making kefir from kefir grains.
So, what happens if kefir yeast is eaten?
- If you consume kefir yeast in the morning on an empty stomach or before meals, you can prevent indigestion and gas problems in the intestines.
- You can mix kefir yeast with fresh fruit juice or honey.
- You can mix it into your salads and increase the consistency of your soups.
- When using with soup, you should not expose the yeast to heat for a long time.
How Long Does Kefir Yeast Last?
- You can store kefir yeast in a glass jar in the refrigerator for a short time, about 10 days.
- The life of kefir yeast in the refrigerator at +4 degrees varies between 8 and 10 days.
- You can store kefir yeast in the freezer for about 2 months.
- The longest-term storage of kefir yeast is the drying method. Dried kefir yeast preserves its durability for 12 to 18 months.
So, how to revive dried kefir yeast?
- Dried kefir yeast is taken into warm milk and revived by keeping it at room temperature.
Is Kefir Yeast Given to Babies?
Mothers and fathers who are fussy about sweet foods may be undecided about whether to give kefir yeast to their babies. There are some rules that pediatricians recommend in this regard. We would like to remind you of some information about kefir yeast and supplementary food process.
- Since kefir yeast is the particles of kefir, there is no harm in giving it to babies.
- Kefir yeast can be given to babies who switch to complementary foods and start consuming yogurt.
- First of all, kefir yeast should be given in moderation to babies who do not have an allergy to milk and dairy products.
- You can increase the amount of kefir yeast day by day and distribute it to the meals.
- In addition, you can offer more nutritious meals by adding kefir yeast to main meals such as pancakes and omelets after the 8th and 9th months.
- You can add natural fruit purees to kefir yeast and give it to your baby. Thus, he will have taken both natural seasonal fruits and kefir yeast together.
- It is very important for babies to consume kefir yeast for muscle and bone health. Kefir yeast is a source of both protein and calcium.