How to purify water without a filter at home: traditional, folk ways
Today everyone knows about the benefits of regular drinking of pure water for the human body. Despite the numerous stages of processing, ordinary tap liquid is more like a technical composition, so everyone should know how to purify water on their own.
It’s not even always about the benefits – food prepared from a product without impurities tastes better and does not cause a negative reaction from the digestive system. The happy owners of the filter will not need the given practical advice, they only need to regularly change the cartridges.
And for those who do not trust modern development or want to save money, you can try effective, but more affordable ways.
Proven folk remedies for purifying tap water
Such a direction as water purification at home was used by people several centuries ago. This was done for various reasons, but with one goal – to make a high-quality and healthy drink from an unusable liquid.
- Using a rowan bunch – This method is no less effective than an activated carbon filter. You just need to put a bunch of ripe, pre-washed berries in a container with liquid and leave for at least a couple of hours.
- The use of other plant components. In some villages, even today, water is purified with juniper branches, willow carapace, onion husks and bird cherry leaves. Only in this case, the purification of tap water will take at least 12 hours.
- Pharmaceutical cleansing There are ways to disinfect water without changing its taste. Anyone can do this by adding iodine or vinegar to the liquid. In the first case, we take 3 drops of a 5% solution per liter of water. In the second – a teaspoon for the same amount. In both cases, you will have to wait a couple of hours before drinking the water.
- Wine cleaning. One of the most ancient options. We take one part of dry white wine for two parts of water, mix, leave for 3-4 hours.
Advice: It is recommended to use the listed techniques only in extreme cases, because each approach has significant drawbacks. The use of herbal ingredients will not protect against a number of pathogenic microbes. Obtaining drinking water by diluting it with wine and pharmaceuticals does not guarantee a pleasant taste, because to kill chlorine is very problematic.
Effective and affordable techniques to help purify water from harmful impurities and make it drinkable
Before you purify water at home, it is recommended to analyze it for the level of salts, microbes, trace elements. In some cases, forced non-professional cleansing will only make the situation worse. If the analysis indicators are too negative, it is better not to risk it and install a special filter in the thickness of the crane.
What can be done if the composition of the water does not threaten the state of health, but you want to raise its indicators:
- When listing the various methods of water purification, people first of all remember about boiling. Sterilization of a liquid by bringing it to high temperatures allows you to get rid of germs, viruses, and pathogenic sticks. But complete cleansing occurs only if the boil lasts at least a quarter of an hour, with the container lid open. Do not forget about the negative aspects of the approach. Chlorine compounds do not disappear anywhere, they simply change. There will be no benefit from such water, it is empty. The concentration of salts in the liquid increases markedly.
- Defending Quite an effective technique that has special specifics. Water is poured from the tap and left for at least 8 hours. Occasionally you need to stir the composition without reaching the bottom, then the volatile chlorine will evaporate more intensively. To make this approach more effective, after a specified time, the liquid must be poured into a new container, leaving at least a quarter of the volume with a harmful sediment.
- Cleansing with table salt. In terms of the degree of water purification from salts of heavy metals and harmful microorganisms, this option is comparable to installing a filter. Pour two liters of tap water, dilute a tablespoon of table salt (with a slide) in it. After 15-30 minutes, the liquid can be drunk. But it is highly discouraged to consume such a drink every day.
- Reading water by freezing is not in vain considered one of the most effective and trouble-free methods. Purification of tap water in this way guarantees a pleasant taste and absolute safety of the drink. To get it right, there are a few important things to consider. There is no need to process the water before freezing. We take a plastic container, pour liquid into it, but do not fill it completely (water, turning into ice, will expand). We watch when the water freezes by half and drain what has not frozen, it is in this part of the composition that most of the salts and harmful components will remain. Even doctors confirm that pure water obtained by freezing is of the same quality as after installing a filter. It is only recommended to drink it immediately after thawing the ice obtained.
- Silicon cleaning. Before you purify water in this way, you need to stock up on silicon. It is best to purchase the product at a pharmacy, then it does not have to be further cleaned. Pour water into a container, it is best to do with a three-liter jar, add a washed pebble to it, cover the neck with gauze and stand for a couple of days. Then pour the liquid into a clean container, leaving three centimeters of water with silicon at the bottom.
- Today, another stone, shungite, has begun to be used to obtain drinking water. You need to take a stone (100 g per liter of water) and place it in water for three days. Then we drain the liquid in the same way as in the previous approach. The stone can be used for up to six months, periodically cleaning it from plaque.
- Activated carbon. This component is often a component of a professional filter, absorbing all harmful substances. We just wrap a few tablets of the product in cheesecloth and put them in water (1 tablet per liter of liquid) and wait 8 hours. You can put the structure in the evening, then in the morning you will have the right amount of drinking water.
- Silver cleansing. If you have a silver coin or spoon, you can do without the filter. You just need to lower the product overnight in a container with liquid, this will rid the composition of microbes, viruses, bleach.
The listed methods can become a source of drinking water, if a high-quality filter is not installed on the tap. The main thing is not to make a common mistake – not to resort to knowingly failed methods. For example, the use of miraculous magnets gives a rather dubious effect, and distilled water will not provide the body with the necessary substances.
How to purify tap water without a filter
Pure water for the human body is, if not all, then a lot. The proper functioning of organs and systems is impossible without fluid. It seemed that to drink water, it was enough just to turn on the water tap.
Nevertheless, not everything is so simple, and urban networks do not provide the required water purity. Despite the used cleaners, it still contains harmful impurities.
That is why we tried to figure out how you can purify water at home without buying a filter.
How to make a water filter at home
High-quality purification of tap water is impossible without the use of special filters, which, by the way, are not too difficult to do with your own hands. Such a device will allow you to purify drinking water from the tap, making it truly useful.
To create a filter, you need the following things:
- cotton wool, gauze and textiles;
- paper napkins;
- coal and sand;
- herb and lutraxil.
Devices created from such materials purify water, the main thing is to take into account the fact that individual components act in different ways, and, therefore, have a different scope of application:
- filters made of paper and gauze do their job well, however, they are not too durable;
- fixtures with sand or gravel work much more;
- lutraxil, in principle, is considered the most durable and effective.
You can make a filter with your own hands in this way:
- Take a plastic bottle and cut off the bottom of it.
- Cut a hole in the lid of the plastic bucket.
- Place the bottle with the neck down in the hole.
- You can then fill the filter with the selected media.
- In order for the edges of the bucket and bottle to fit snugly together, it is enough to process them with sandpaper or put a rubber seal.
This is perhaps the most primitive type of filter; craftsmen create more complex designs that function perfectly and cope no worse than store ones.
How to clean tap water at home
Home water purification is not as laborious as it might seem at first glance. As a rule, most people use a water filter for this purpose, of which several varieties are known:
- on-pipe, which is located directly on the pipe;
- jug, into which you need to pour a certain amount of water;
- tabletop, with an individual faucet that supplies tap water directly to the glass;
- devices for reverse osmosis, which have not one water filter, but several.
There are several home methods that allow you to effectively purify the water yourself:
It cleans the liquid well from harmful impurities, however, such an effect should last at least 20 minutes. In addition, this type of water purification has a number of disadvantages, including:
- failure to remove chlorine and its compounds;
- sedimentation of salts on the walls of the dishes, which increases the level of nitrates;
- such water, in principle, has no benefit.
Able to clear liquid if lasts at least 8 hours. So you can clean the water from chlorine, and heavy metals will precipitate, which you just need to drain into the sink.
The use of salt involves dissolving a tablespoon of this mineral in 2 liters of water, and, after only half an hour, the water will become clear, free of heavy metals. Unfortunately, daily consumption of this liquid is not recommended.
Silver has been known for its antibacterial properties for a very long time. It is enough just to put a spoon made of this metal in a bowl for eight to ten hours to get purified life-giving moisture.
An ordinary rowan bunch is able to purify water, it is enough to place it in a container with liquid for three hours to get a clean product at the exit.
Freeze water treatment
Freezing is not only a method that allows you to cleanse the liquid from harmful compounds, it is a way to increase its quality several times. In this case, it is saturated with oxygen and loses salts and substances unnecessary to the human body.
The following stages of freezing water can be noted:
- The water should settle a little (for half an hour), after which it can be poured into a plastic container and placed in the freezer.
- When the liquid is covered with ice at the edges, you can remove the vessel.
- Now you need to drain the liquid that has not yet frozen, it is in it that dangerous compounds accumulate.
- Liquid that is frozen must thaw at room temperature, after which it can be applied.
Separately, it is worth noting the undeniable advantages of such a liquid:
- increasing the resources of the human body;
- elimination of cholesterol and salts;
- increasing the body’s resistance to viruses and diseases;
- antiallergic effect;
- rejuvenation of the body.
Silicon water purification
The leading position in the purification of drinking water at home is occupied by the use of silicon. The procedure is fairly simple and usually straightforward.
The whole process goes like this:
- pour water into a glass or enamel vessel;
- omit silicon;
- cover the container with gauze;
- leave for several days, out of direct sunlight.
Silicon has a beneficial effect on the liquid, disinfecting it, in connection with which the following methods of its use can be noted:
- rinsing the throat and mouth;
- application to the skin;
- watering indoor and garden crops;
- use for cooking.
Separately, it should be noted that a black mineral should not be used to cleanse a liquid. In addition, such water is not recommended to be boiled.
Activated carbon water treatment
Liquid purification with activated carbon has been used for a long time, including in store filters. At home, having on hand several packs of these pills, it is quite possible to clear the liquid on your own. It is not for nothing that coal compounds act as a filter element in many structures, because it is capable of accumulating various odors in itself, as well as collecting harmful substances.
Several rules of coal water purification can be noted:
- for a liter of water, you need to take one tablet of coal;
- pack it in a gauze bag, which must be tightly tied;
- lower this container into liquid;
- leave overnight or for at least 8 hours;
- now you can use the purified liquid as directed.
Tourmaline balls for water purification
Tourmaline balls are a highly advertised product today that allows you to purify water. They have the ability to improve the taste of water and create a special biological field inside its molecules, which greatly improves the quality of the latter.
This ability of tourmaline is due to the fact that they have the ability to charge liquid through a weak generation of electric current. Even bathing in such moisture allows you to start the processes of renewing skin cells, not to mention consuming it internally, which allows you to remove excess fats, cheer up and rejuvenate the body as a whole.
By using tourmaline balls, you can saturate the liquid with oxygen to a large extent. It is not difficult to use them, you need to put the mineral in a warm liquid and leave it there for a while. After use, it must be thoroughly washed and dried. It is worth noting that the warmer the water, the higher the cleansing effect of the tourmaline balls.
How to remove fluoride from water
Purification of water from the impurity of fluorine is of no small importance, because modern research shows a not very beneficial effect of its excess on the human body. Even though it has a beneficial effect on the condition of human teeth and bones.
Nevertheless, an excess of this substance can cause the appearance of various health problems, including with the condition of the teeth and their enamel, as well as the human nervous system. According to the recommendations of the World Health Organization, a fluoride content not exceeding one milligram per liter is considered the norm. However, studies show that this figure is overestimated in urban pipes.
You can remove fluoride from water at home in this way:
- collect water in a non-metallic container, the liquid must be cold;
- now the container should stand open for a while so that the chlorine compounds disappear;
- after that, you can cover the bowl with a lid and leave it that way for 8 hours;
- now the liquid can be consumed, however, the sediment from the bottom must be poured out.
Alternatively, you can simply boil the liquid for 15 minutes, which will also remove fluoride from it.
How to remove chlorine from water
Modern plumbing supplies people with liquid into the apartment, after cleaning it with chlorine-containing substances. However, it is not uncommon for their concentration to exceed the permissible limits.
The most accessible method is the usual sedimentation of water, which is chlorinated at a waterworks. To implement this method, you need to leave the liquid in the container for a day, after which that part of it that settles (about 200 ml) must be poured out without using it for drinking or household needs.
It is worth noting that the filtered moisture, for which specialized cassettes are used, does not contain harmful chlorine compounds at all. Unfortunately, it cannot be stored for a long time, because various microorganisms begin to actively multiply in it.
How to remove nitrates from water
It is not too difficult to purify water from nitrates, and the body will certainly thank a person for such help. Most often, nitrates enter the liquid along with industrial and agricultural wastewater, where this substance is added to accelerate the ripening of fruits.
It is not uncommon for nitrates to be present in well water, so it is important to always take such a liquid for analysis to determine the level of various elements before using it.
It is unlikely that it will be possible to remove nitrates from tap water on your own at home; it is best to use one of the industrial methods:
- filters with anion exchange membranes;
- mechanisms operating on the basis of reverse osmosis.
Shungite for water purification at home
Among the considered methods of water purification at home, a special place is occupied by the use of shungite, which has the ability to remove from it not only harmful bacteria, but also unwanted microorganisms. This substance is used in most modern filters due to its ability to attract harmful compounds of chlorine, phenol and acetone.
You need to use shungite like this:
- pour the water to be purified into glass or enamel dishes;
- put shungite in this container, and for a liter of water you will need at least one hundred grams of rock;
- in half an hour, the liquid will be rid of bacteria, and after three days it will acquire healing properties.
It is worth noting that at first the water will have a black tint, which will gradually fade away and sink to the bottom as a sediment. In villages, shungite weighing thirty to sixty kilograms is quite often placed in a well, which makes it possible to cleanse its contents from bacteria and nitrates and impart useful properties to water.
In conclusion, it should be emphasized that water purification at home is an important process that should in no way be neglected, especially in cases where tap or well water leaves much to be desired. After all, the state of human health depends on the quality of the liquid used.
11 ways to purify water at home
Everyone knows about the importance of clean water for our health.
If we regularly use high quality water, it will become a real possibility to avoid the occurrence of many diseases, including quite serious diseases.
In addition, the quality of the water influences the taste of the dishes prepared with it. You can buy expensive sorts of coffee or tea, however, cooking them with bad water, all their value and taste will be lost forever.
Chlorinated water in our pipes is able to protect us from dangerous viruses and microbes, however, chlorine itself is harmful to us: it destroys the protein structures of our body, worsens the condition of the mucous membranes in the body, kills beneficial bacteria in the intestines, which contributes to the deterioration of microflora, provokes the appearance of various allergic reactions … In addition, chlorine does not kill pinworm eggs and lamblia cysts.
I think it is no longer a secret for anyone that the water that flows from our tap does not have the quality and purity that our body needs.
If you have a filter, all you have to do is change the cartridges regularly to make sure the water you drink is exceptionally healthy.
But, so that you know, it is in our power to purify water at home without spending a lot of money on filters and cartridges, but using fairly simple methods.
Home water purification methods
- The simplest and most well-known way to purify water is to boil it .When high temperature affects water, it is sterilized and the water is purified of microorganisms (viruses, microbes) – this effect can only be obtained by boiling water for a quarter of an hour, without covering it with a lid, so that harmful compounds are removed with steam.
- But, firstly, chlorine compounds in such water still remain, turning into hazardous to health: the carcinogen chloroform, which causes cancer,
- secondly, parts of the salts settle on the walls of the dishes in which you boil water (I think you saw them on the walls of your kettle), it turns out that when boiling we got soft water, in which the level of salts, nitrates and heavy metals became higher, than in a regular tap,
- and thirdly, it is not in vain that boiled water is called “dead water”, it does not bring any benefit to the human body.
- An equally simple method of water purification is its banal settling . They just poured water into the vessel, let it stand for 8 hours – during this time, volatile chlorine, along with other volatile impurities, will evaporate (it is good if you periodically stir the water – this will help the “volatilization” process to occur more intensively). However, salts of heavy metals from the settled water will not go anywhere, at best they settle to the bottom. Therefore, when you use this water, pour out 2/3 of its contents without shaking, so that the sediment at the bottom does not mix with more or less purified water.
- Water purification can also be carried out using ordinary table salt . You can fill the container with tap water (2 liters) and dissolve 1 tablespoon in it. with a top of salt. After 15-25 minutes. such water will be free of harmful microorganisms and heavy metal salts.
The disadvantage of this method is that this water should not be consumed daily.
- Freezing is today an increasingly popular method of water purification, which, moreover, is considered also the most effective. Water is poured into the container (some use a saucepan, some use plastic containers, but do not use glass), and do not pour water “from the top”, leave a small space free, as the liquid can increase in volume when it freezes.
Pure fresh water will freeze faster than water with salt impurities. Therefore, watch out, when the water is half frozen in the container, pour out the unfrozen liquid (it contains all harmful impurities), and melt the frozen water – it can be drunk and used for cooking.
Thawed (melt) water, drunk immediately after defrosting, is extremely healing, capable of accelerating many recovery processes in the body, increasing efficiency, alleviating allergies, dermatitis, itching, bronchial asthma, stomatitis.
- At the pharmacy, you can buy a small piece of silicon and use it to cleanse the water from impurities. Rinse the silicon well in warm running water, put it in a 2-liter jar and pour cold water, cover the jar with gauze and put it in the light, but away from direct sunlight. After two to three days, the purified water is ready. Calculate the size of a silicon pebble 3-10g per 1-5 liters of water. And do not drink the water to the bottom, carefully drain it into another vessel, leaving 3-5 centimeters of water with sediment.
- Recently, water purification is becoming popular with another stone called shungite . It is recommended to purchase large stones, then they will not need to be replaced with new ones, although, of course, once every six months they need to be well cleaned with a brush, hard sponge or sandpaper.
- Shungite water is prepared as follows: a 100 gram stone is placed in a liter of water (if you need more, then take more than one stone), for 3 days, no more, the shungite infuses the liquid, after which it is drained in the same way as when preparing silicon water.
- Shungite water has contraindications: a tendency to cancer, thrombus formation, high acidity and diseases in the acute stage.
- If you don’t have a water filter, you can use activated carbon . Indeed, most filters are based on coal. This product is not only an excellent neutralizer of unpleasant odors (old rusty pipes, for example, or bleach), but, like a sponge, coal can absorb harmful substances from tap water.
Just wrap activated charcoal tablets in cheesecloth (at the rate of 1 tablet per 1 liter of water) and place in a bowl of water. The very next morning (after 8 hours) you will have clean water ready.
- We have known about the cleansing properties of silver for a long time. Silver can be used to purify water, freeing it from chemical compounds and harmful microbes and viruses. Simply place a silver coin or spoon in a container of water overnight. In the morning (after 10-12 hours) you will have purified water, ready to use.
Silver has surpassed carbolic acid and bleach in antibacterial action, and water with silver retains its useful properties for a long time.
- Folk remedies for water purification also have a place to be:
- Cleansing with a bunch of rowan: it is worth immersing it in water for two or three hours, and you will get a pure liquid, competing in quality with water purified with silver and activated carbon.
- Cleansing with willow bark, onion husks, juniper branches and bird cherry leaves is also effective and good for obtaining clean water, only the cleaning process will take 12 hours.
- Purification with vinegar, iodine, wine. For 1 liter of water the proportions: 1 tsp. vinegar, or 3 drops of 5% iodine, or 300 g of young dry white wine. All these “additives” are placed in water for 2-6 hours. The downside is that chlorine and some microbes still remain in the water.
- Many people try to replenish the required amount of water in the body with distilled water . Yes, you will not find harmful impurities in it, but it does not give any benefit to the body, in addition, such water does not have any taste. Plus, with the constant use of distilled water, the minerals and salts we need are washed out of the body.
- We will also consider another method of how to purify water at home, which is gaining popularity, but also causing some doubts – purification with magnets . Ordinary water is poured into the dishes, they are wrapped around it with magnets and left for 3-5 hours. There is even a recommendation to gird the water pipe supplying water to the tap with magnets.
You can be sure that such a method will not purify water from microbes and bleach, at best, it will magnetize iron salts and purify water from this mineral, and this can only be assumed theoretically …
Other options for water purification: a household filter in the form of a jug (it uses a carbon-silicon filter), capable of removing chlorine and toxic metals from water, provided that you change the cartridges every month, various nozzles and, of course, stationary filters. With their many advantages, they have a disadvantage – a considerable price. Although, of course, from which side to look, because the most valuable investment is in your own health …
8 simple ways to help purify water if you don’t have a household filter
One cannot argue with the statement that water is the basis of life and the guarantee of our health. Therefore, water purification is the most important household process that needs to be given due attention.
We bring to your attention an overview of the most popular filters for water purification, which you can make yourself at home without significant material costs.
: Methods for purifying water without a household filter – Video
1. Water purification by boiling
Under the influence of high temperature, water is sterilized, in which many types of dangerous bacteria, viruses and pathogens of parasitic diseases are destroyed. In addition, boiled water becomes softer, the amount of free chlorine and elements and compounds hazardous to health decreases in it.
However, you can get a similar effect by observing two conditions:
- Boil water for at least 15 minutes.
- The container in which the water is boiled must not be covered with a lid.
Despite its simplicity and popularity, this method has significant drawbacks:
- Fresh water contains oxygen, hydrogen sulfide, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium ions. Boiling displaces oxygen from the water. Ions react with each other under the influence of high temperatures, resulting in the formation of salts of calcium and other elements that settle in the form of scale on the walls of the dishes for boiling water. As a result, we get not just “dead” water, but also harmful to health: for example, calcium salts over time can become one of the triggers for the formation of kidney stones, the development of arthrosis and arthritis.
- Boiling cannot remove salts of iron, lead, mercury and other heavy metals hazardous to health from water.
- Finally, chlorine and its compounds, reacting with organic compounds during heating, form trihalomethanes and dioxin – carcinogenic substances that, accumulating in the body, can lead to the development of serious diseases, including oncology.
2. Water settling
- This method of water purification involves settling tap water for 8 – 12 hours (this is how much time is needed for the evaporation of chlorine and other volatile impurities).
- To speed up the process of evaporation of harmful substances, it is recommended to stir the water periodically .
- But keep in mind that in the settled water, salts of heavy metals are stored, which settle at the bottom, so it is not recommended to stir the water an hour or an hour and a half before the end of the purification.
- In order to obtain water purified from heavy metals at the exit, it is recommended to carefully pour 2/3 of the liquid into another container: this must be done so that the sediment remains at the bottom.
- : 6 situations when it is categorically NOT to drink water
3. Freezing water
Freezing is a simple and effective method that allows you not only to purify water from salts and other harmful compounds, but also to improve its quality by saturating it with oxygen.
The benefits of melt water are undeniable:
- Excretion of cholesterol and salts from the body.
- Strengthening the immune system and increasing the body’s resistance to various diseases.
- Reducing the risk of developing allergies.
- Rejuvenation of the body.
How to get melted water? Very simple:
- Fill a plastic container (not a plastic bottle) or a special plastic bag for freezing with water, not to the brim, remembering that water expands when freezing. For the same reason, you cannot use glass containers that can burst under the pressure of frozen water.
- Place a container of water in the freezer until 2/3 of it is frozen.
- Drain from the container the water that is not frozen, since it contains salts that inhibit the freezing process.
- Defrost the remaining ice – this is useful melt water.
It is recommended to drink about 1.5 – 2 liters of melt water per day.
4. Water purification with activated carbon
- Activated carbon is a budgetary but effective water purification agent that absorbs various harmful impurities and unpleasant odors.
- By the way, household filters for water purification are equipped with charcoal filters.
- We offer you to make such a reliable filter yourself. To do this, you will need:
- Activated carbon (50 tablets).
- Gauze (or wide bandage).
- Cotton wool.
- Liter glass jar.
- One and a half liter plastic water bottle.
Let’s start making a three-layer filter:
- Cut off the bottom of the plastic bottle and insert it with the neck down into the jar.
- Cut off a piece of gauze (20 * 20 cm), in which we wrap cotton wool – this is the first layer of the filter.
- The second layer consists of crushed activated carbon tablets, which we wrap in cotton wool.
- The third layer is identical to the first.
Our filter is ready! At the same time, it is important that the filter layers adjoin tightly to each other, then the water will be cleaned not only of harmful impurities and odors, but also of mechanical particles and rust.
If you have neither the time nor the desire to make a carbon filter, we offer a lightweight version of water purification:
- Activated carbon at the rate of 1 tablet per liter of water is placed in a gauze bag.
- The tied pouch is lowered into a container of water for 6 to 8 hours.
- Enjoy purified water!
: 10 magical properties of water with LEMON and HONEY on an empty stomach that will transform your body
5. Water purification with silver
This method of purifying water from microbes, viruses, chlorine and other harmful substances was practiced by many generations of our ancestors.
To purify water with silver is easier than ever – just place any silver item in a container of water for 8-10 hours .
Silver not only disinfects water. This metal has a beneficial effect on the immune system, improves the condition of the skin and hair, accelerates metabolic processes, and normalizes the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
Important! Do not use colloidal (or liquid) silver for water purification! It, accumulating in the body, provokes poisoning and can lead to the development of a serious disease called argyrosis, which is characterized by darkening of the skin, which takes on a dark gray tint.
6. Water purification with silicon
- The silicon water purification procedure is simple, but at the same time effective.
- To carry it out, you will need a stone weighing 5-10 g, which can be purchased at the pharmacy.
- Silicon water purification procedure:
- Rinse the silicon under warm running water.
- Place the stone in a glass container with cold running water (use 5 g of silicon to cleanse 1 liter of water).
- Cover the container with gauze folded in two layers.
- Leave the water to infuse for 3 days: it is important that direct sunlight does not fall on the container with water, but it is not recommended to insist the liquid in a dark place either.
- After three days, carefully pour the water into another container, leaving a third of the settled water at the bottom, since this sediment contains salts and impurities of heavy metals.
- The stone itself must be thoroughly rinsed after each use and cleaned regularly with a brush.
- Water purified with silicon has a beneficial effect on the immune and circulatory systems, and also has a rejuvenating effect.
- It is recommended to use light-colored silicon for water purification.
- : What happens to your body if you drink rice water every day? The benefits of rice water
7. Water purification with shungite
- Another stone used for water purification is shungite, which, like silicon, can be purchased at a pharmacy.
- This mineral attracts and absorbs compounds of chlorine, phenol and acetone, removes harmful bacteria and microorganisms from the water, which has a positive effect on the functioning of the whole organism.
- To purify a liter of water, you will need 100 g of shungite.
- Shungite water purification procedure:
- Rinse the stone thoroughly.
- Place shungite in a container with water at room temperature and leave to infuse for 3 days: you do not need to close the container (you can cover it with gauze).
- At first, the water will take on a black hue, but gradually it will become transparent, and black mineral dust will settle to the bottom.
- After an hour of infusion, the water will be cleared of bacteria and nitrates, and after three days it will acquire healing properties, at least that’s what folk healers say.
- Drain off the infused water, leaving about 3 cm of water at the bottom.
After each use, the stone should be thoroughly washed, once a month cleaned with a brush, and every six months – replaced with a new one.
Unlike silicon water, water purified with shungite has contraindications:
- Tendency to thrombosis.
- Oncological diseases and the tendency to develop them.
- Increased acidity.
- Diseases in the acute stage.
Therefore, before using this stone in the form of a purifying filter, it is better to consult with your doctor.
8. Folk remedies for water purification
Traditional medicine offers a lot of water purification methods, but we will consider the most popular and effective ones.
And let’s start with apple cider vinegar , a teaspoon of which is diluted in a liter of water, after which the liquid is allowed to brew for 2 – 3 hours to kill the microbes.
Instead of vinegar, you can use 5% iodine , which is added to the water at the rate of 3 drops of iodine per liter of water. Let the water sit for 2 hours, after which you can consume it.
Immediately, we will make a reservation that water purified using vinegar or iodine (and some recommend using these components at the same time for cleaning), has a rather unpleasant smell and an unusual taste.
In addition, it should be remembered that an excess of iodine in the body can lead to malfunctions in its work:
- Muscle weakness.
- Persistent subfebrile condition in the absence of signs of any disease.
- Excessive sweating.
- Mood swings.
Therefore, you should be careful with the purification of drinking water with iodine.
Water purified by rowan bunches is pleasant in smell and tasty . By the way, some experts put the use of mountain ash on a par with water purification with silver or activated carbon.
To purify the water, simply immerse a thoroughly washed bunch of ripe rowan berries in a container of water. Natural antibiotics, which this plant is rich in, in 3 hours destroy bacteria no worse than chlorine.
Instead of rowan bunches for water purification, you can use onion husks, bird cherry leaves and juniper branches, but then, in order to cleanse, the water must be infused for at least 12 hours.
Important! To enhance the cleansing effect, it is recommended to filter the water after insisting.
- Despite their simplicity, folk methods are not able to completely purify water from chlorine compounds and microbes, so you should not place special hopes on them.
- In any case, from the proposed list, you can choose the most suitable cleaning option for yourself, thanks to which the water will become not only useful, but also tastier!
- : Is it useful or harmful to drink water with food?
Methods for purifying water without a household filter
How to purify water without a filter at home
Drinking clean water is a guarantee of human health. Therefore, in the water treatment systems of the central water supply system, the liquid must undergo a chlorination process. Chlorine kills most germs and viruses, but the chemical itself is harmful to health.
Recent studies have shown that chlorinated lime does not kill eggs of pinworms and giardia, so today there is no need to talk about the complete safety of chlorinated water. Therefore, you need to take care of self-disinfection of the tap liquid.
In this article, we will consider ways to purify water at home.
The most effective way is to install a coarse and fine filter system in the water supply network. But these devices are not always cheap.
And if, for example, the task is to purify water in a country house, where it is taken from a well or a well, and the water supply is not connected to the house, then you have to use completely different, somewhere even old “grandmother’s” technologies. The most common cleaning methods are:
- Boiling. It is recommended to boil water for at least 15 minutes with the container lid open, since harmful chemical compounds will be removed into the air together with steam. But this option is not the best, because chlorine still remains in the water, only modified. And also salts of some metals remain, which, with a decrease in the volume of liquid, increase their concentration. This means that the water becomes harder. Scientists, in general, consider boiled water to be dead, because its usefulness is very low.
- Defending. Water poured into any container becomes much cleaner after settling for 8 hours. In any case, large insoluble impurities are deposited on the bottom: sand, rust, and so on. This also applies to salts of heavy metals. Therefore, it is recommended to drink water that is located at the top of the tank 2/3 of the edge of the water mirror. If a bucket or other container is in a warm room, then some chemical compounds, including chlorine, naturally evaporate from the liquid.
- Freezing. It is a well-known fact that salt water turns into ice at sub-zero temperatures of 1.8C. If you start freezing, then in 15-20 minutes pure water will turn into ice, and salty water will remain in a liquid state. It is drained, thereby getting rid of salts and other impurities. Then the ice is thawed and clean drinking water is obtained. Thawed, it is melted, water is very useful.
- Silicon cleaning. This stone is sold at the pharmacy. Based on its weight (3-10 grams) for 1-5 liters of liquid, the stone is placed in a container with water, which it cleans well. For this, the water, in a closed, clean gauze container, is kept for three days in the open air. The main thing is not to put dishes in the sun. As a result, all impurities will precipitate, so the water is not completely drained. Silicon is one of the old ways to lower the hardness of water. In the old days, wells were lined with this stone, where water was poured for storage. Inside the tank, it did not deteriorate for a long time.
- Cleaning with shungite. This is another stone, with the help of which water is purified today. The purification technology is the same as for silicon. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the mass of the stone per unit volume of water. The ratio is as follows: 100 grams per 1 liter. It is better to use one solid stone than several small ones. It is recommended to clean it every six months with a soft brush, freeing it from adhering sediment.
- Activated carbon cleaning. This technology has been known for a long time, it is not for nothing that manufacturers of filter elements use activated carbon as the main filter element. With its help, not only impurities are easily retained, but also an unpleasant odor is neutralized. The simplest device for water purification with activated carbon is a plastic bottle, upside down and with the bottom cut off. A layer of cotton wool or gauze is laid inside, and activated carbon is poured on top. A cap is screwed onto the neck of the bottle, in which a hole has been previously made. Now water is poured from the side of the cut bottom. It passes through the carbon layer, that is, through gauze (cotton wool). Clear water will drip through the hole in the lid. There is also another option. Activated carbon tablets are wrapped in cheesecloth, which is dipped into a container with water. After eight hours, all impurities will be adsorbed. This takes into account the ratio: one tablet per 1 liter.
- Silver cleansing. It has long been known that silver is good for water purification. A silver spoon or coin is dropped into a glass of water. After 10-12 hours, the liquid will be free of impurities, bacteria and microbes. If we compare it with cleaning with bleach or carbolic acid, then silver technology is many times more effective.
Purification of water with silver
Cleaning your tap water at home is not always effective. Therefore, many are trying to carry it out in cardinal ways. For example, they make distilled water.
This will require a special apparatus in the form of moonshine, but the point here is not in the purification technology, but in the water itself. It is one hundred percent clean, but at the same time, there is no benefit from it.
In addition, you cannot use distilled water in large quantities, it flushes out all the necessary minerals and salts from the human body.
But the method of cleaning with magnets is worth paying attention to. Although it raises some doubts, magnetic technology is becoming more and more popular.
To do this, magnets are attached to the plastic container around the circumference, which attract iron, magnesium and calcium ions to themselves. In any case, it is considered so.
But one thing can be said for sure – magnets do not disinfect and do not remove bleach from water.
In the old days, water was purified by natural means. They used not only stones and clay, but also plant substances. For example, a bunch of mountain ash was used, after which the water became no worse in quality of purity than after cleaning with activated carbon or silver. Rowan was replaced with juniper, willow bark or bird cherry leaves. True, these herbal remedies did not rid the water of hardness.
And also used methods where iodine, wine or vinegar were used as absorbents. Doubtful technologies not worth paying attention to. After all, even a small amount of vinegar will give the water an unpleasant specific taste and smell.
This physical criterion is determined by the concentration of humic substances in the water. The latter are the consequences of microbiological destruction of organic compounds in the soil. The color and turbidity of water determines its transparency.
There is a special scale according to which these parameters are calculated. And since we are talking about drinking and household water, these two indicators should be low. You can use activated carbon to purify turbid water and reduce its color.
Other types of pollution
In country houses, to which the pipes of the central water supply network are not connected, water is supplied from wells or wells. The danger of such a liquid is that it contains nitrates harmful to the body. These are ions with a single charge, for example, the well-known saltpeter, which was used as a fertilizer in agriculture.
Removing nitrates is difficult, even on an industrial scale. For this, special filtering installations are used, inside of which resin is laid in the form of granules. The backfill is filled with sodium ions, which, when interacting with nitrates, absorb them into the resin mass.
Today manufacturers offer compact filter units of this type, installed in the water treatment system at home. Thus, when it comes to nitrates, it is understood that there is no way to remove them without special filtering equipment. But before deciding on the issue of purification, first of all, it is determined whether there are nitrates in the water or not.
The problem is solved simply – using compact devices that are sold in many stores.
Conclusion on the topic
Thus, there are many ways to purify water without installing a filter. But whether it is worth doing and how clean the water will be after the performed operations – no one will give a concrete answer to these questions. Therefore, the best option is to purchase and install a filter.