How to dry a pumpkin for crafts or Halloween at home
From the “natural product” collected in the garden, real works of applied art can be obtained. For some, this statement sounds somewhat unusual, but there is a fair amount of truth in it. One has only to take a closer look at the beds, and you will surely see a suitable “blank”. Especially in this regard, massive melons and gourds stand out, so we will consider what can be done from the grown and prepared decorative pumpkin.
What can be made from pumpkin
The first thing that comes to mind is a Halloween head. But this is not the end of the decorative “abilities” of the steep culture.
You can also dry the orange for decorative purposes. If you arm yourself with imagination and make some effort, then from this plant you can build:
Important! In addition to lagenarium, the fruits of the Cucurbita variety are often taken for the manufacture of decorative elements. But these catchy vegetables of golden, orange or red color have one serious drawback: after 3-4 months the bright “clothes” begin to fade rapidly.
- Openwork lamps or clocks that perfectly complement the interior of the living room or gazebo.
- Toys of varying degrees of difficulty – faces and boats, carriages or “prefabricated” little men from several pumpkins.
It turns out that the range of handicrafts made from a prepared decorative pumpkin is limited only by the imagination of the master. But no less important role is played by the blanks themselves, which are worth mentioning separately.
Choosing a pumpkin for decoration
A small plant weighing from 100 to 500 g is best suited for such purposes. You can take all ripe and healthy “kruglyashi” from this weight category. Fruits with more impressive “dimensions”, in turn, are distinguished by thicker pulp, which is more likely to rot than reach the required condition.
Naturally, the pumpkin should be intact, without scratches, let alone cracks. The place of gathering and its time are no less important. So, the best choice would be a fruit hanging on a dried brown lash. But unripe, too loose or “caught” by the first frost, specimens should be immediately put aside.
A separate topic is decorative melon lines. The most popular of them are the following varieties:
- “Orange” , really like a citrus. Small size (up to 300 g) combined with bright color make such fruits a desirable decoration. In appearance, they can be either spherical or slightly flattened.
- “Mandarin” . These crumbs are easily recognizable by the smooth skin with underdeveloped ribs.
- “Chalmoid” . Differs in an unusual type of fruit, which, as it were, are collected from two parts. The variety is considered large and amazes with a variety of design options. Instances with a large upper half are often referred to as fungi.
- “Baby Boo” , which, due to its small (10 cm) diameter and white color, can be mistaken for a giant garlic.
- “Kleine Bicolor” . The contrasting color scheme of the “pear” is emphasized by a clear border: a dark green bottom with light stripes is replaced by a rich yellow top.
- Sweet Dumpling . Quite large (400-500 g) fruits with ribs delight the eye with alternating white or yellowish “edges” and green stripes with frequent white dots along their entire length.
Important! With an open “garden” drying, the plant quickly begins to “give out” an unpleasant smell, so it is better to place it away from the gazebo and paths.In addition to varietal diversity, there is also a species “scatter”. The fact is that the pumpkin of the original “bottle” shape, which is in demand as decorations, belongs to a different species, known as lagenaria. And already from this “section” the most effective varieties stand out, like the clavate line “Cobra” with a spotted color and a bizarre shape.
Even before you dry the pumpkin you like to get crafts out of it, you will have to properly prepare it. This process is not fraught with special tricks and boils down to the following procedures:
- To begin with, the peel is washed in soapy water and thoroughly dried.
- After that, the fetus is rubbed with alcohol or any liquids with its “participation”.
- It remains to transfer the pumpkin to a place protected from sunlight. There should be good ventilation in such a room. The workpiece will stay there until its shell begins to change color (this is about 1-2 weeks).
How to dry a pumpkin for long-term storage
Proper drying is a delicate process that also requires a fair amount of patience. If the fruit of the usual form can dry from 3 months to six months, then more “tosltoshkur” lagenaria will take at least 10 months (or even 1 year).
The main rule is that shrinkage should be natural. Some try to speed up its progress by “running” it in the microwave or oven, but this negates all the decorative effect of the fruit: at the slightest mistake, the pumpkin will turn out to be baked, and it will be wiser to eat it. With this heat treatment, the structure of the fibers is disturbed, and as a result, the peel loses the necessary rigidity.
Therefore, it will be better to let the moisture exit “on its own”. The role of drainage is assigned to the pores covering the surface of the fruit and the peduncle.
Immediately before drying the whole ripe pumpkin chosen for decoration, you will have to put an oilcloth or a piece of thick film under it – over time, it gives a natural leak. This is a prerequisite for indoor storage.
This method is the most massive and simple, but it has its own nuances that it is advisable to keep in mind:
- The fruits are laid out (or better – hung) on the loggia or balcony. If “lying” storage is planned, try to place the pumpkin on a table with frequent gaps between the slats – they will provide adequate ventilation.
- Do not forget about constant air circulation (for these reasons, solid countertops and closed cabinets, warm kitchens or musty cellars are not suitable).
- For the first couple of weeks, the blanks are inspected every day, rejecting overly soft or wrinkled specimens. There is one tricky point here related to mold. It can appear on the peel from moisture dripping from the fruit. Such “traces” are easily erased, but after a couple of days they appear again. It’s not scary – at the end of drying you will see an unusual pattern on the “skin” of the vegetable.
Important! Purely fodder varieties are difficult to decorate – not every knife can cope with voluminous and dense pulp.
- Unripe pumpkins most often rot, affecting their ripe “colleagues”. Seeing a small spot, try to press on it with your finger – the rot lends itself immediately, and it is better to throw out such a copy. Due to inexperience, the “effect” of rot can be confused with mold, which was mentioned in the paragraph above.
- For uniform shrinkage, weekly turning over is required (at least once a week and a half). This simple manipulation will keep the pumpkins from rotting.
Some highly decorative varieties in warm regions can also be dried in the fresh air . It also has its own technological subtleties:
- The first step is to cut the fruit along with a 4–5 cm tail. You should not tear it off – moisture evaporates much worse through an uneven hole, which will slow down the whole process.
- A tail is also required (severed stalks are very susceptible to rot).
- The future “decor” is hung separately or placed on ventilated wooden pallets. The rest of the requirements are the same: regular inspection and “scrolling” with rejection as needed.
By the way, about waste. Get ready for the fact that even with the correct content, 7-10% of the blanks will go to the compost pit – this is the price for beauty.
In addition to the two main methods, there is one more. This is storage “on the liana” , which is practiced by the followers of the most natural agricultural technology. Everything is simple here – the fruits dry out without leaving the plant. For the best effect, they are placed in divided sections of the fence or a palisade with prepared niches.
The obvious advantages of such drying are excellent ventilation, coupled with a good “preservation” of ripe pumpkin, which is not afraid of rain or frost. After cutting, it lends itself well to varnishing or painting. Of the shortcomings, the only thing that stands out is the insecurity of such plantings – they can easily become the prey of country thieves or suffer from large animals.
How to determine readiness
Having found out the main details of drying, we will not forget about such a question as checking the readiness of the product for artistic processing.
It can be determined by its color: the fruit that has completely dried from the inside will fade a little (if an ordinary pumpkin was used). Lagenaria, on the other hand, change their green color to yellowish brown or become completely brown.
Important! When making lanterns, the walls are treated with vinegar from the inside. This significantly reduces the risk of mold.
To finally be convinced of the result, take the vegetable in your hands – it should significantly lose weight. Do not be too lazy to shake it as well: the dull sound of achenes jumping inside indicates the already formed “decorativeness” of the workpiece.
After such a simple test, you can safely cook a pumpkin for Halloween, fortunately, now you know how to dry it “inside and out.”
How to store decorative pumpkin and crafts from it
Finished products made from prepared fruits have a long shelf life. In order for them to please with their appearance for many years, you need to remember a few simple rules:
- The room temperature should be within the range of + 12 … + 28 ° С. Sharp drops are contraindicated.
- Dampness and contact with moisture are excluded. The same goes for the sun’s rays. The best option would be to keep it in a dry, dark corner.
- Immediately after processing (cutting or varnishing), it is advisable to open the surface with a colorless nail polish or transparent furniture varnish. This will preserve the “structure” for a long time and will not allow it to crack or get wet when a few drops of water get in.
- They try not to keep the dried “artistic” vegetable outdoors in the open (regardless of the season). To decorate gardens and gazebos, it will have to be shaded.
Now you know how to make a masterpiece of applied art out of a seemingly inconspicuous culture. We hope everything will work out without too much difficulty. Success in creative work!
Recommendations on how to dry pumpkin for decor and crafts
Dried pumpkin can be used not only for food, but also for crafts, decor, fun Halloween decorations.
Before you dry the pumpkin, you need to prepare it for drying. But it should be borne in mind that not all varieties of vegetables are used for crafts and decor. It is necessary to use the variety “Lagenaria” or “Cucurbita”. They are distinguished by bright orange, red, yellow colors, they can be used to make a decorative vase, bottle, pot or flashlight.
Important! For drying, you need to choose vegetables with a stalk. Drying will go wrong without it: moisture must evaporate naturally.
Wash the selected vegetables with soapy water and put them in a dark place, where the temperature is no more than + 300C and not less. Once dry, wipe with alcohol and remove again. After 7-14 days, the casing should become hard, which means that you can proceed to the main drying.
Kitchen utensils are used to dry the pumpkin.
To dry the pumpkin for decoration and its crust has become harder, you can use household appliances such as:
- Oven at t = 80 degrees;
- Convection oven at t = 70 degrees;
- Electric dryer at t = 80 degrees;
- Microwave oven, mode at a power of 600 W.
In order for the pumpkin to dry and not burn, it must be turned over periodically.
If you do not plan to store the decorative product for a long time, you can dry the pumpkin for crafts as follows:
- Cut off the top, remove the pulp.
- Treat the inner surface of the vegetable with alcohol.
- Stuff the insides of the pumpkin with newspaper and place in a well-ventilated place. Replace paper as it gets wet.
Preparation for drying
The drying process can take 6-18 months, it all depends on the thickness of the crust, the amount of pulp, temperature conditions and the size of the vegetable. It is recommended to take several vegetables for drying at the same time, because some of them begin to deteriorate at the initial stage, literally 5-7 days.
You need to start preparing this vegetable for Halloween a few months in advance. To do this, it is preferable to choose varieties with a not very hard crust, so that it is easier to cut out terrible faces. It is required to cut off the top, remove the seeds, stuff the paper inside the vegetable and put it in a dark room.
In the West, pumpkins are treated with specialized antiseptic solutions to prolong their shelf life. At home, you can try sprinkling the vegetable with a solution based on whiteness. This will prevent the development of pathogenic microorganisms that contribute to spoilage.
Pumpkin varieties intended for eating are pre-washed and then wiped dry with a paper towel.
Further actions are as follows:
- Cut the stalk.
- Cut the vegetable into 2 pieces.
- Remove seeds.
- To peel.
- Cut into thin slices or cubes.
To prevent the pumpkin from darkening, blanch the slices in boiling water for 120 seconds, then cool in cold water.
- In the sun. Spread out evenly on a wire rack, cover with gauze on top. This process takes about 10 days in very hot weather.
- Over the gas stove. Place the thread with a needle on a strong thread. Hang over the stove and wait for the liquid to evaporate from the product.
- In an electric dryer. Arrange the slices on the grates not close to each other. Temperature + 50-600C. The whole process will take 12-20 hours. To prevent the slices from sticking, they must be turned over periodically.
Store ready-to-eat food in glass containers with tightly sealed lids, which are best stored in a dark, dry place where dried seasonings are usually stored.
How to dry pumpkin in the oven?
During drying, vegetables retain all vitamins and minerals. It is better to choose autumn varieties with a thick skin: they give in to drying faster.
- Wash the pumpkin, cut off the rind, leaving the pulp and seeds.
- Cut the vegetable into several pieces. Cut form – slices or cubes.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 5 minutes, discard in a colander to drain excess liquid.
- Preheat the oven to + 60C.
- Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet, spread the pumpkin slices in a thin layer on it.
- Send to the oven for 4 hours, dry with the door slightly ajar. This is necessary for the moisture to evaporate.
- After the time indicated above, set the temperature to + 70C, dry for another 2 hours.
In the oven
Cool the pumpkin and transfer it to glass jars, in which it will be stored until requested.
How to determine readiness?
Drying of the pumpkin is carried out until it is ready, which must be judged by its appearance: the pulp and rind have turned brown. The rind should be tough and the flesh should be dried. If it is viscous and wet, then you need to dry it.
When you sample the pumpkin, it tastes like it knits your mouth.
Dried vegetables can be stored for a long period of time if certain conditions are met:
- In the room where the vegetable is stored, the temperature should be + 12-280C, and sudden changes are not allowed.
- The dried vegetable should not come into contact with dampness and moisture, especially if it is intended for decoration or crafts.
- To extend the shelf life of your Halloween pumpkin, clear varnish can be applied to the cut areas.
Some housewives, if they make large blanks of pumpkin for consumption for the winter, add salt.
Drying a pumpkin at home is not particularly difficult. The main thing is to think over the final craft in advance and choose a vegetable of the appropriate size and variety. Decorative products, so that they please the eye for more than one day, it is recommended to cover with transparent varnish. Dried pumpkin slices can be added to various first courses as well as baked goods. It is important to follow the rules for storing vegetables.
How to dry ornamental craft pumpkin?
One of the areas of amateur creativity that is gaining popularity is handicrafts made from dried pumpkin.
This natural material, in addition to the pleasure from the implementation of creative ideas, brings the home craftsman a small problem: how to dry the pumpkin so that the products from it are preserved as long as possible? With insufficient preparation, such a problem can negate all the efforts of those who made crafts from undried pumpkin.
Characteristics of raw materials for crafts
Not today, craftsmen have come up with the idea of using a pumpkin as a material for creativity. What are the traditions of making attributes for Halloween from it?
The creation of dishes from decorative pumpkin in the republics of the North Caucasus and Central Asia has been practiced for several centuries.
It is believed that the water in such dishes does not deteriorate for a long time, does not heat up in the heat, and even helps in the treatment of diabetes.
For crafts of modern designers, decorative pumpkin of two common types is used.
- Cucurbita is a small bright fruit of cheerful red, orange and golden colors. Beautiful in themselves as an element of the decor of the autumn garden, such pumpkins can serve as material for the manufacture of lanterns, flower pots. The disadvantage of this material is that its bright colors will fade after a few months.
- Lagenaria – it is from them that you can so easily make a bottle, a vase, a ladle and much, much more. The hard rind of this species changes over time from green to golden yellow or light brown.
In order to show your creative abilities, throw out a charge of ideas, there is nothing better than hand-made crafts. It is especially pleasant to work with such a natural material as pumpkin, it is so expressive and flexible.
How to harvest correctly?
A lot depends on this event – it is impossible to carry out a high-quality drying process using spoiled material.
When collecting decorative material in the garden, you need to follow a certain technology.
- The crop is harvested after the stalks of the plant are dry and brown.
- The fruits are removed by cutting off the stalk at a distance of 6-10 cm from the plant, without breaking it off at the base.
- Damaged, rotten, spoiled pumpkins are discarded – their place on the compost heap.Advice
The fruit should look perfect, as even a small speck of rot can cover a large area in a few weeks.
- There is no need to wait for the onset of frost in order to collect slightly unripe decorative pumpkins – their color may change for the worse.
Large specimens intended for food and feed purposes are almost impossible to dry due to the large amount of dense bulky pulp. We’ll have to leave them for delicious porridge, candied baked pumpkin and a carriage for Cinderella.
Can pumpkin dry quickly?
The answer is categorical – no, no, and again no. Drying pumpkin quickly and evenly over several days in the oven, microwave, or electric dryer will not work.
It may seem that the pumpkin is dry, since it has a hard skin, but in addition to the skin, the pulp must be evenly dried.
This can take several months, and the pulp of Lagenaria dries twice as long as the pulp of Cucurbita.
If you need to make a craft for a short time
For numerous autumn contests in kindergartens and schools, you can make a spectacular craft using pumpkin dried at home in a short time. The disadvantage of this method is that the craft will not live even 2-3 weeks. But if initially such a goal was not set, then you can try to extend the life of the product.
To do this, you need to cut off the top of the fruit and completely remove its pulp. For this operation, you can use a construction scraper, spoon and other devices.
For disinfection, the inner surface of the pumpkin must be wiped with alcohol or vodka with a sponge.
Further, the scraped and disinfected fruit is stuffed with newspapers and placed where it is dry and warm – on the windowsill of the sunny side of a house or apartment, on a closet. This “filling” needs to be changed as the newspapers get wet, about 2-3 times a day. The period of such drying is 2-3 days. This will happen much more slowly if the room temperature is less than 22 ° C.
Preparation for the long-term drying process
Before you dry your handicraft pumpkin, you need to properly prepare it. The surface of the fruit is washed with soapy water and dries well. Then the pumpkin is wiped with alcohol or any other alcohol-containing liquids.
After that, the material for decoration is transferred for a week to a well-ventilated room, isolated from direct sunlight. There the pumpkin remains until the color of the shell changes. This usually happens in 1-2 weeks. Hardening and darkening of the shell is an indicator that the surface of the pumpkin is dry.
Here you need to be patient, which should be enough for a period of at least 6 months. It is during this time that the decorative pumpkin will acquire the hardness of a wooden product. For high-quality drying, you need to choose a well-ventilated dark room. It is there that the fruits are laid out at home, and better – hung.
If the fruits are to be dried in a lying position, it is advisable to provide air access by placing them on a surface with holes for ventilation.
At the beginning of drying, you need to check the safety of the fruits daily, and, without regret, reject those that have begun to deteriorate, soften and wrinkle. Small patches of mildew can be removed with bleach or wiping with a dry cloth. Such a measure will help if there is a hard bark under the mold.
Every 1-2 weeks, the fruits must be turned to dry evenly and prevent rotting. An indicator that drying is over will be the rustling sound of the seeds when shaken, and the pumpkins themselves will become firm and light.
If the decorative gourd becomes rough or begins to peel off, it can be sanded with sandpaper just like any wood product.
After this process, which requires remarkable patience, you can start the creative work of decorating the pumpkin. Now you can paint it, varnish it, carve it, and elements to decorate this natural material. The service life of such a product is not limited.
Decorative pumpkin for crafts and Halloween decor: how to dry it properly?
Pumpkin is a delicious vegetable. It is used in the preparation of a number of dishes, which is very attractive for gourmets. You can find out how to dry pumpkin, how to freeze it for cooking and dry pumpkin seeds on our website.
Also, pumpkin has a huge supply of nutrients and vitamins , which allow you to feel the benefits of using the product on your body.
Pumpkin – in addition to being eaten, it can also be used as a decoration .
You have probably seen many interior items that were made from ordinary pumpkins. Various containers, candlesticks and whole pumpkin vases – and this is just a small part of where the pumpkin can be applied.
How to dry a pumpkin for decoration? But in order to use this, of course, a creative vegetable for creating interior items and interesting design solutions, you need to properly prepare the pumpkin.
Drying is the most important step for this. It is she who makes the pumpkin so tough that it can serve its owners for many years as a craft.
In our article, we will tell you in detail how the drying process itself takes place. How to prepare pumpkin for drying? It is very important to properly prepare the pumpkin for the drying process and we are not talking about preliminary work before the process itself.You can find out how and in what time frame it is necessary to remove the pumpkin from the garden from our other article.
It is very competent to approach directly to the choice of the pumpkin itself – after all, this is the key to proper drying. Not every pumpkin variety is acceptable for making a craft out of it.
In special greenhouses, hundreds of decorative pumpkins are grown annually , which are just suitable for the creations of the masters.
Check out the information on the ornamental pumpkin varieties and select according to their appearance. Typically, this pumpkin has more rounded shapes and more pronounced bulges. The color of such a pumpkin is even and brown.
Also, in addition to the fact that the pumpkin must be of a special variety, it must be completely healthy in order to adequately endure the drying process. Such a pumpkin, first of all, should have a uniform color, without obvious signs of rotting or mold .
Also, the pumpkin must have a stalk . Unfortunately, drying is impossible without it. From the hole where the stalk is connected to the vegetable during drying, juice can flow out and the whole process will be done down the drain. You should also appreciate the pumpkin by touch. It should be far from soft, rather more hard .
The vegetable should not be damaged . Also, do not take a pumpkin that is too large for drying at home. Most likely, such drying will be doomed to failure.
The next step in preparing the pumpkin is your actions, but at home. At home, you must carefully prepare the pumpkin for the drying process.
To do this, clean the pumpkin from any visible dirt by gently wiping it with a cloth. Now place the pumpkin in the shower and rinse it on several sides with lukewarm water.
Do not push too hard – this can damage the skin of the vegetable.
After the pumpkin is washed, blot it thoroughly with a towel, removing any wet drops. Leave the pumpkin for an hour in a dark and dry place , then blot again with a towel and dry for another hour. When you feel that the top surface of the vegetable is completely dry , you can proceed to the next stage.
How to dry a handicraft pumpkin? You can dry the pumpkin as a whole or in parts. Depending on what purpose you are pursuing from drying, decide on the type of pumpkin. If you want to cut a vegetable, cut the pumpkin into arbitrary pieces, after removing the seeds.
Tools and devices
Depending on how you want to ultimately see the vegetable, you can resort to various technical devices .
Many people dry the pumpkin in the room the old fashioned way , but few know that this is a big risk .
During this time, the pumpkin may become moldy or start to deteriorate. Therefore, it is better to leave the natural drying process and use new technologies.
Drying can be carried out in the oven, as well as in an airfryer, electric dryer or microwave oven. There are a lot of options – the main thing is strict adherence to the rules of drying and then the desired result will not be long in coming.
At what temperature to dry pumpkin? Drying pumpkin can be carried out at different temperatures , depending on the technique used in this process. So, pumpkin drying can take place at a temperature of 80 degrees in the oven .
The pumpkin should be in the center of the oven. You need to periodically turn the vegetable clockwise.
In the airfryer, the temperature of exposure to the pumpkin will already be equal to 70 degrees. Drying in an electric dryer assumes a temperature of as much as 80 degrees. The microwave oven holds a small percentage of the pumpkin, but it is dried at 600 watts.
The drying process in any of the above devices assumes that during the process the pumpkin must be turned from side to side in order to prevent the pumpkin from burning on one side.
The doneness of a pumpkin can be determined by its appearance as well as its taste. If you want to rely on the appearance, then first of all the vegetable should have a brownish tint , both the rind and the pulp. The pumpkin rind should be tough, and the pulp should not be sticky or damp, but dried.
If you taste dried pumpkin, then it should knit your mouth a little , but not raw. This is a basic rule of thumb when checking the readiness of this vegetable.
StorageWe have already talked about how to store pumpkin at home and how to store it in a cellar for eating in our articles.
How to keep a decorative pumpkin? If you want to use a pumpkin not for eating it, but for decorating a room, then you need to know a few very important rules.
Firstly, do not leave the pumpkin in a damp and humid environment and, if possible, minimize contact with moisture .
The pumpkin must be kept in a place where the temperature does not exceed 30 degrees and does not drop below ten.
How to store pumpkin crafts? It is necessary to cover them on top with some kind of coating in order to exclude spoilage of the vegetable.
For example, it can be colorless furniture varnish or nail polish . In any case, careful protection of the vegetable from all kinds of crackles and the influence of moisture is necessary.
How to store a decorative pumpkin? Store the pumpkin in a dark and dry place . You cannot keep a dried vegetable outside in both cold and warm seasons. Also, do not forget that such vegetables are very sensitive to temperature changes , so do not allow this.
Excessive moisture contributes to the formation of mold or decay . Also, the problem of damage to pumpkin by rodents or insects is common . Take a closer look at this phenomenon.
Dried pumpkin: how to use? If you want to dry a pumpkin that you will use as a craft, you need to carefully study this issue. How to properly dry a pumpkin for crafts?
First, process the vegetable in the same way as we wrote in the first paragraph. Then try rinsing the pumpkin under warm water to remove any surface changes. Do not injure the pumpkin or cut something off of it.
After blotting the pumpkin with a towel, leave it in a well-ventilated place overnight. These actions are the starting point for the drying process itself.
Pumpkin should be loaded into the oven itself at a time when the cabinet has not yet warmed up . The pumpkin tray should be dry. Remember to stir the pieces constantly. If we are talking about a whole pumpkin, then turn it over.
The whole pumpkin can only be done in two ways – using various devices for this, or in the usual way of waiting.
Let’s talk about the first method. The pumpkin has been dried in the oven for a long time, but drying the whole pumpkin is a very difficult task .
In order for the fruit to dry well and reach the condition, choose not too large specimens. Also, do not forget that such a pumpkin should be prepared in advance.
Now we are busy with the oven. Preheat the oven to about sixty degrees . Place special baking paper on a baking sheet and place pumpkin. Roll the pumpkin periodically, letting each side dry. Drying can take anywhere from two to eight hours , depending on the size of the vegetable.
If your oven does not provide that such a large fruit can fit in it, you can do differently. After preparing the pumpkin, leave it in a dry and dark place . Check the pumpkin periodically for signs of rotting .
Usually high humidity or insects contribute to this. As a rule, at home without heat, the pumpkin is dried for about three months .
How to save a pumpkin for Halloween? If you are making a pumpkin for Halloween, then you should remember that the pumpkin should begin to dry a few months before the holiday.
Also, you should remember that to make a holiday pumpkin, you need to select decorative pumpkin varieties, but not solid ones , otherwise you will not be able to cut anything out of such a fruit.
How to dry a pumpkin for halloween? Halloween pumpkin should not be dried too much. The inside of the pulp should remain slightly damp . Therefore, it is recommended to harvest the vegetable not but three, but two or one and a half months.
How to dry a bottle gourd? Bottle gourd is much smaller than ordinary and decorative gourd, which means it dries several times faster . To dry such a pumpkin, you need to place it in the oven for a couple of hours at a temperature of 40 degrees, or leave it for a couple of months in a dry, dark room.
Fast waysHow to Quickly Dry a Craft Pumpkin? If you want to quickly dry the pumpkin, turn to your regular home hairdryer .
If your vegetable is small, a couple of hours will be enough for you to dry its crust with warm air.
Remember to be careful when handling such a pumpkin . From sudden overheating, the crust may well crack.
Drying your pumpkin isn’t too difficult, so don’t be afraid to do it at home . You are sure that the methods listed by us will be useful to you in the future to create incredible crafts and things.
How to dry a pumpkin for decoration, crafts, and for Halloween?
The following types of pumpkins are used as decor:
- Lagenaria. It has a “bottle” shape and can be used to make a bottle, ladle, vase and more. It is green in color, but turns yellow-brown during the drying process.
- Cucurbita. Not a large pumpkin of bright colors (red, orange, golden). After a couple of months of drying, the colors fade. Lanterns and flower pots are made from these fruits.
There are also a variety of decorative pumpkin varieties, some of the most popular are:
- Mandarin. Small pumpkins with smooth skin and not very prominent ribs.
- Chalmoid. The fruit looks like it has several parts. The pumpkin of this variety is large and has a whimsical appearance, the upper part often resembles a mushroom cap.
- Sweet Dumpling. A large vegetable with ribs. The color is alternating with white, yellow, green stripes and white spots.
- Orange. Globular or flattened small fruits of bright color.
- Little Boo. Small white pumpkins that look like huge garlic.
Before drying a vegetable, it must be carefully prepared for the process. The algorithm of actions should be as follows:
- The pumpkin peel is cleaned of contamination and washed with soapy water and warm water;
- Dries well;
- Wipe the surface of the fruit with alcohol;
How to dry a pumpkin for decoration?
What tools and devices are used? Sometimes kitchen utensils are used to dry the pumpkin as a decor. But in this case, there is a possibility that the vegetable will simply bake, and not dry out and then deteriorate very quickly.
You can use the following devices and temperature conditions for drying:
- Dry in an oven at a temperature of 80 degrees. The vegetable is placed in the center of the oven and periodically turned clockwise.
- In the airfryer, the drying temperature is approximately 70 degrees.
- Pumpkin is dried in an electric dryer at 80 degrees.
- In the microwave, drying is carried out at 600 watts.
During the drying process in any of the devices, you need to turn the fruit from side to side so that it does not burn out.
How to dry whole? Whole squash can be dried whole in two ways:
- Using the devices listed above.
- Natural drying in a well-ventilated area or on a garden bed will be very effective, but very long-lasting.
How to dry cut? Piece by piece can also be dried in these two ways. To do this, you need to prepare, cut the pumpkin into the necessary pieces and remove the fibers and seeds.
Principles of natural vegetable drying
How to dry DIY pumpkin quickly? If a decorative pumpkin product is not planned to be stored for a long time, then you can use the express drying method. It includes the following actions:
- Prepare the pumpkin in the usual way;
- Cutting off the top. Make the cut even and for this use a large sharp knife;
- Remove the pulp by scraping with a spoon so that nothing is left on the walls, otherwise the pumpkin will mold in a few days.
- Wipe the inner surface of the vegetable with a cloth soaked in alcoholic liquid;
- Stuffing the vegetable with paper (preferably newspapers);
- Next, you should put the pumpkin in a ventilated dark place and constantly change the filling inside it as the paper gets wet.
How to dry a decorative pumpkin correctly and for a long time, but with high quality? Natural drying remains the best way. For this method, small fruits are chosen, whole, without dents, rotting and mold.
IMPORTANT: When cutting a pumpkin from a plant, be sure to leave a small tail. It will help the vegetable to release moisture into the environment.
Preparation of the fruit is the most common: wash in warm water, dry and treat with alcohol.
The natural drying process can take 6-18 months. It depends on the thickness of the skin, the amount of pulp, the size of the fruit and the environmental conditions.
Rules for this type of drying pumpkin:
- For drying, you need to take the number of pumpkins with a margin. There is a chance that not all will dry out. Some deteriorate early in the process;
- The fruits should not touch;
- The drying room must be well ventilated;
- It is important that there is no direct sunlight on the fruits;
- You can put the pumpkin on an oilcloth so that moisture can drain onto it, and even better – on wooden pallets with a large gap between the lamellas so that the pumpkin has a good supply of air;
- Every day at the beginning of drying, you need to inspect the fruit for rot. Then the examination can be done once a week. All soft perishable pumpkins must be removed immediately, otherwise they will infect healthy ones.
- If small areas of mold appear on the peel from the moisture released, you can remove it and wipe the area with alcohol.
How to make a Halloween pumpkin and how to store it?
You can start preparing pumpkins for this holiday a few months before. They choose varieties with a not very hard skin so that you can easily cut out terrible faces on the vegetable. You can cook using the natural drying method. Also, if there is no time, you can use the fast drying method with stuffing with newspapers.
In order to extend the shelf life of pumpkins for Halloween, products are treated with special antiseptic solutions abroad. In our regions, you can try sprinkling the pumpkin inside with a whiteness solution to prevent the growth of microorganisms.
How to dry a bottle gourd?
Bottle gourd is quite light, and when dried it becomes almost weightless. This species does not allow moisture to pass through itself well. Fruit preparation and drying process are normal. Some nuances of drying this type of pumpkin:
- A natural drying method is used for this species and it is recommended to carry it out outdoors.
- The oven and other appliances are not used in order for the fruit to retain its shape and dry evenly.
- This pumpkin is dried hanging or on a wire rack.
- For the first few weeks, keep the pumpkin in a bright place, but without direct sunlight, when the pumpkin hardens, it is moved to a dark room and dried until it is ready.
How to determine readiness?
The readiness of the pumpkin is determined by the following indicators:
- By color. Dried vegetable should tarnish, Lagenaria usually turns yellowish brown.
- The vegetable is losing its weight.
- If you shake the pumpkin, then it makes a dull sound of galloping seeds inside it.
Conditions and shelf life of dried pumpkin for decoration
Finished dried fruits can be stored for a very long time. To do this, you must comply with the following conditions:
- The room temperature should be 12-28 degrees without sudden changes.
- Eliminate dampness and contact with moisture.
- Direct sunlight should not fall on the decorative item.
- Immediately after processing the pumpkin (for example, cutting it out), it is recommended to varnish its surface to extend the shelf life.
To make a dried preparation for the winter from a pumpkin or to dry a pumpkin for decoration, you need to follow special rules. At the same time, drying methods differ from each other, since they pursue different goals, and pumpkin varieties differ in their properties depending on the purpose.