How To Make Peanut Sauce? | Peanut Sauce Recipes in 5 variants!
How to make peanut sauce? There are many variants for sale in the supermarket. Peanut sauce is also very easy to make yourself. Also hot peanut sauce and Indonesian peanut sauce. That’s what we’re going to talk about in this blog; ‘How to make peanut sauce?
How To Make Peanut Sauce?
Take peanut butter and mix it with water or milk. Warm it up on the heat source. Now you can add seasonings such as soy sauce, sambal, coriander, cumin, lemon juice. Mix well and heat. Do not let it boil.
There are many ways to make peanut sauce and a few will be discussed later. We start with a basic recipe that can be expanded with other ingredients.
Do you know the difference between nuts and seeds? No, check out our blog ‘ Difference between nuts and seeds ‘ and be surprised.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
There are many recipes for peanut sauce. But one thing is for sure, it starts with peanuts or peanut butter. In our case peanut butter, it is mixed with other seasonings and depending on the seasonings you get different kinds of peanut sauce. Below is the basic recipe for simple peanut sauce. Further on in this blog are other and more extensive recipes for peanut sauce.
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter, level
- 250ml water
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 -3 teaspoons sambal
These are the basic ingredients for a simple peanut sauce. Quick and easy to make and tasty too. If you feel like you’re getting too little sauce with the above amounts, double the ingredients and you’ll get twice as much sauce. How do you make peanut sauce from these ingredients?
Make your own peanut sauce
Making peanut sauce is easy. They are not higher cooking skills. It goes like this:
- Place a saucepan on the heat source, on a low to medium heat.
- Put the peanut butter, ketjap manis and sambal in the pan and mix well, using a whisk.
- Then add the water and stir it through the peanut butter.
- Now heat the peanut sauce and keep stirring. Do not let the peanut sauce boil.
This is how you make peanut sauce. Now comes the most important thing: taste! Taste to see if your sauce is flavoured. If it needs more spice, add a little sambal. If it is too thick, add water. If it is too thin, let it evaporate some moisture. In short, taste and you immediately have an idea whether it is tasty or whether something needs to be done about it. That is cooking: experimenting, trying and tasting. Below are other peanut sauce recipes. Try them out and give them your own personal touch!
Indonesian peanut sauce
When you think of peanut sauce, the connection is often made with Indonesian cuisine and therefore Indonesian peanut sauce. This spicy sauce is full of flavor and full of character. These are the ingredients:
- Peanut butter (350 grams), is probably 1 jar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion (very finely chopped or chopped with a stick blender
- 3 tbsp soy sauce Manis
- 4 flat tsp sambal, take your own brand sambal
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 300 ml soy milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin or cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste or 1 tsp ginger powder
If you feel it yields too little sauce, double the ingredients. That way you get more sauce. Expanding this recipe is easy as follows:
- Place a pan on the heat source on a low to medium heat.
- Put a little oil in the pan and fry the onion and garlic.
- Then add all the other ingredients, without the peanut butter, to the pan and mix well. Now heat it up.
- Because the milk with the ingredients is warm, the peanut butter will mix well.
- Then mix these parts of peanut butter with the milk and stir it through.
- Do this until the peanut butter is used up.
Your sauce is now ready. Even now you have to taste again whether your sauce is tasty. You can now add herbs or sambal to bring it to your desired taste. Cooking is tasting and with spices. Enjoy your meal!
Making peanut sauce with coconut milk
With coconut milk you can make very tasty sauce. It just gives a more subtle taste. The easiest way is to replace the water or soy milk with coconut milk in the above recipes, for example. This is especially recommended with the Indonesian recipe.
However, below is a recipe with coconut milk. These are the ingredients:
- 2 dl. coconut milk
- 4 full tablespoons of peanut butter pinda
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sambal
- Onion, very finely sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm fresh ginger root, peeled and pressed in a garlic press
- 1 tsp jinten (cumin powder)
Preparation is as follows:
- Place a pan on the heat source and put a little oil in the pan.
- Fry the onions in the pan, press the garlic onion and do the same with the ginger. If this doesn’t work, grate the ginger.
- Then put the coconut milk and peanut butter in the pan and mix it all together well.
- Keep stirring and heat the sauce. Don’t let it boil.
- Finally add the cumin powder, soy sauce and sambal. Stir well and your sauce is ready.
You now have a delicious sauce with coconut milk. Taste again to see if your sauce is tasty. Now you can add herbs, sambal, sweet soy sauce to make it completely to your own liking. Cooking is tasting and trying. Enjoy your meal.
Making peanut sauce Surinamese
Surinamese peanut sauce together with fried banana is really Surinamese. We will not discuss the making of the fried banana here, but we will discuss the Surinamese peanut sauce. These are the ingredients:
- 50 gr peanut butter
- 2 -3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red (Surinamese) pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp trassi
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 pieces kentjor or 1 inch fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 tbsp salty soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice/vinegar
- 3/4 glass of warm water
- Pinch of salt
You can prepare it as follows:
- Mix the peanut butter and water together.
- Place a pan on the heat source with the oil and heat it on a medium-high setting.
- Saute the garlic together with the pepper and trassi.
- Then put the peanut butter in the pan and heat it up. Don’t cook.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and mix well.
Now you have Surinamese peanut sauce for fried banana. Taste to see if your dish is tasty. You can still use it with herbs.
Peanut sauce without soy sauce
Is soy sauce not your favorite? In the above recipes, replace the soy sauce for soy sauce. Take the same amounts. This way you get delicious peanut sauce without soy sauce.
Peanut sauce without milk
The same applies to milk as to soy sauce. Replace the milk with soy milk or coconut milk or oat milk, rice milk or just plain water.
You can do this for all of the above recipes. Take the same amounts and replace it with, for example, water.
Now you know how to make peanut sauce. Choose your favorite or adapt one of the recipes to your own taste. Good luck with cooking.