How To Make Chili Sauce? | Chili Sauce Recipe: 5 variants!
How to make chili sauce? The sweet or spicy taste of chili sauce is delicious for dipping. Also delicious with your rice or noodles dish. Also very tasty with Mexican dishes. You can of course buy chili sauce in the store, but then you never know for sure what is in it. That’s why we make it ourselves. We discuss how to make chili sauce in this blog.
How To Make Chili Sauce?
The basic ingredients are red peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices to taste. All ingredients are cleaned and go into the blender. Then cook gently and season to taste. You can now store this for 9 months in sterilized jars.
There are many options for making chili sauce. From easy to very extensive recipes. This blog discusses the different options and explains how you can make it.
Chili Sauce Recipe
The recipe can consist of many ingredients. However, we always start with a basic recipe. This basic recipe can always be expanded with several ingredients.
What do you need now for this basic recipe? Those are the following seasonings:
- 4 red chili peppers
- 60 ml rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 3 tomatoes
- 90 grams of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cm fresh grated ginger (optional)
With these few ingredients, you can already make a delicious chili sauce. If you want the sauce sweeter, you can always add more sugar while making it. Now let’s move on to that; making the sauce.
Make your own chili sauce
Making chili sauce is not the most complicated process. Once you know it, you won’t soon forget it. Basically, all the ingredients go into the blender and then cook for 10-20 minutes, depending on the ingredients you’re using. To create, you need to go through the following steps:
- Cut open the red pepper and remove the seeds. When you include the seeds in your chili sauce, it gets spicier.
- Now mix the pepper, tomato, sugar, vinegar, garlic and salt in the blender. Now you can also put the ginger in the blender if you also include it in the chili sauce.
- Mix until it is an even mass. If you have added seeds you will continue to see them.
- Place a pan on the heat source on a medium/low setting and cook the sauce for 10 – 15 minutes. Let it cook gently on a low setting.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the sauce into a glass jar or bowl and let it cool. Now you can stir in the soy sauce.
This is how you make chili sauce. But before you remove the pan from the heat source, you have to do one more thing and that is taste. Taste to see if your sauce is flavoured. If it is too spicy, you can now add sugar or other seasonings.
Experiment with the recipes in this blog. You can omit ingredients or replace them with herbs or seasonings that suit you better. Cooking is about trying and experimenting. So have fun with the recipes and I hope you enjoy cooking.
Making Sweet Chili Sauce
Well, the well-known sweet chili sauce or the sweet chili sauce. I think we all know this one. Many like spicy chili sauce, but more people like the sweet variety. You naturally get the sweetness in the chili sauce by adding sugar. Try the recipe below.
- 8 red chili peppers
- 2 cm ginger root, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 275 ml apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 400 grams of crystal sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 500 milliliters of water
- pinch of salt and ground pepper
You get a lot of sauce this way, but you can always store it in, for example, a sterilized jar. That way it can be kept for a long time.
You prepare the sauce as follows:
- Cut open the peppers and remove some of the seeds, about half. If you like spicy sweet sauce, you can also use all the seeds. However, start with half the seeds.
- Roughly chop the garlic, chillies and peeled ginger and put them in a blender and crush them into small pieces.
- Place a frying pan on the heat source and heat it up.
- Then the water, vinegar and sugar go into the pan. Dissolve the sugar completely. Now add the salt as well.
- Turn the heat to a low setting and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the mixed peppers, salt and ground pepper and let it simmer again.
- Mix the cornstarch with 5 tbsp water. Make a paste and add it to the pan.
- Stir this well into the sauce. Watch out for lump formation!
The sauce is now basically ready. Taste again to see if your sauce is tasty. Now you can bring it to your desired taste. Let the sauce cool and place in a sterilized bottle or jar. Now keep the sauce in the fridge.
Low-carb chili sauce
As you can see in all recipes, sugar goes into the chili sauce. A lot of sugar is not really healthy. That is why many eat sugarless and/or low-carbohydrate. Below is the recipe for low-carb chili sauce. It’s a basic recipe but no less flavorful. You will notice that you miss the sweetness when you taste this sauce. These are the ingredients:
- 1 red pepper, sliced and pitted. For spicy leave the seeds in
- 1 red or bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Preparation is simple and proceeds as follows:
- Place a pan on the heat source and fry the onion in it. About 5 minutes.
- Then add the bell pepper, tomato and pepper to the pan. Add 300 milliliters of water and bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Now puree everything in the pan with the mixer. If that doesn’t work, transfer it to a bowl or bowl and mix it in there. Then put it back in the pan.
- Now check if it has the desired thickness. You can now boil it down or add water if necessary.
This is low carb chili sauce. Again you have to taste it to see if it tastes good. You can still use it with herbs.
Making Chili Sauce From Sambal
Don’t have any peppers at home? No problem, because you can also make a good chili sauce with sambal. You need the following ingredients for this:
- 3 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp amaïzena
- 100 grams granulated sugar or other sweetener
- 2 heaped tablespoons of sambal oelek
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
You prepare it as follows:
- Mix the cornflour with the water and make a paste.
- Place a pan on the heat source and add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Now cook it gently for about 4 minutes.
- Then put the cornstarch water in the pan and stir it well so you don’t get lumps.
- The sauce is ready.
Now let the sauce cool. You will see it thicken. Now you have a delicious chili sauce with sambal. Enjoy your meal.
Make your own chili sauce without sugar
Making chili sauce without sugar is easy. However, every sauce needs a sweetener. And therein lies the secret. You can replace sugar with any sweetener you wish. In all the above recipes you replace the sugar with, for example, agave syrup, maple syrup, Natrena or Stevia.
The amount is difficult to find, but if you are used to not using sugar, you probably know how much to add in the above recipes. Try it!