Green Lentil: Benefits, Calories, Protein and Nutritional Value
Lentils have found a place in many kitchens. It is said that the homeland of lentils is Southeast Asia. Over time, it has begun to be grown in lands that adapt to itself. There are varieties of yellow, red, green and brown.
We have prepared this article to explain the health effect of the much loved green lentil, known as black lightning in Turkish cuisine. The benefits of green lentils that you can consume with peace of mind in healthy eating habits and diet nutrition and more are with you in this article. You will have many reasons to see green lentils in your kitchen.
What Are the Benefits of Green Lentils?
- Green lentils are a type of legumes rich in fiber. The effect of fibrous foods on health is the regular functioning of the intestinal system. When you consume green lentils, your intestines will become more active. As a result of this situation, problems such as constipation will disappear.
- Green lentils are very effective in converting the sugar entering your body into energy. As a result of this metabolic activity, your blood sugar is balanced and your possibility of diabetes is eliminated. Green lentils have an important place in diabetes nutrition due to their low sugar content.
- Like all legumes, green lentils play an important role in your heart health. It lowers high cholesterol and prevents atherosclerosis. It prevents the formation of fat in the veins by protecting the health of the veins.
- Preferred for the energy it gives to the body, green lentils are an indispensable food for athletes and dieters. It provides regeneration of muscle cells and accelerates muscle formation in athletes.
- Due to its high iron and magnesium ratio, it eliminates anemia problems. Green lentils, which are recommended for anemia patients to add to their meals; It is effective in the formation and health of red blood cells.
- Green lentils are among the sources of B vitamins. Thanks to B vitamins, it protects the health of the nervous system. It also contributes to the healthier functioning of hormones.
- It is effective in protecting skin and hair health in terms of nutritional value. It heals skin irritations and wounds in a short time. It makes your hair healthier and livelier.
- Helping you lose weight during the diet process is also among the benefits of green lentils.
- When you feed children green lentil soup, you are giving them all the vitamins and minerals that support their development. The benefits of green lentil soup can be easily fed to babies and all children who switch to solid food. You can soak green lentils the night before to prevent gas in babies.
- Expectant mothers should consume folic acid-based foods. Green lentils are also a food high in folate. It is preferred for the development of the baby in the mother’s womb.
Green Lentils Calories, Protein and Nutritional Value
Legumes, known for their high nutritional value, are used in almost every dish in the kitchen. Among these legumes, green lentil is a popular food that is preferred in terms of nutritional value.
- The calorie amount of green lentil soup you consume in one meal is known as 161 kcal.
- There are 34.79 grams of carbohydrates in a coffee cup of green lentils.
- The amount of protein is 24.85 grams.
- 0.87 grams of fat,
- 24.69 grams of fiber,
- 12.35 grams of sodium,
- It contains 918.65 milligrams of potassium.
- At the same time, 60.8 mg of calcium,
- It contains 7.38 grams of iron.
- It is also high in vitamins A, B and C.
- The sugar rate of 100 grams of green lentils was determined as 1.8 grams.
Does Green Lentil Cause Gas?
A known feature of legumes is that they cause swelling in the stomach after eating. One of the reasons for this is the presence of phytic acid in the structure of legumes. Phytic acid protects food from bacteria. When it is consumed, it causes swelling and gas in the stomach, even if it is very little.
This type of phosphorus is also present in the structure of green lentils. Therefore, when consumed, it causes gas in children and adults. To prevent this situation, you can soak the green lentils in water the night before or in the morning. Green lentils waiting in water will leave the acid in it and will not tire your stomach.
Are Green Lentils Weakening?
- Green lentils, which are on the table in many ways and open the appetite, also have an important place in diet nutrition.
- It is not possible to lose weight when used alone; but when it comes to an important position in your diet, it will be very effective on your metabolism.
- It is preferred in the slimming process, especially since the fat rate is almost non-existent.
- Thanks to the fibers it has, it makes your intestines work healthier. At the same time, thanks to the fibers, it keeps you full for a long time and makes you hungry late.
- There has been an increase in the number of people who say that they have lost weight with the green lentil detox, which is a popular nutrition program among those who want to lose weight recently.
- By consuming only green lentils for a certain period of time, you can work the digestive and excretory system. At the end of this period, you can lose weight because your metabolism is more active.