Foods that Boost the Immune System
Best Immune System Boosting Guide
When the cause of each disease is examined, there is one thing that draws attention: The weak immune system. The health secret of people who get sick very hard is to have a strong immune system. Have you ever thought about what is this immune system?
What does the immune system, which comes to the central position of the body, mean? What are the consequences of having a strong and weak immune system? If you are ready to learn all the details about the immune system, we can start our article full of health secrets.
What is the Immune System?
- The immune system is a system that forms the defense mechanism against diseases in a living thing, recognizes and destroys harmful substances and tumor cells, and protects the body against foreign and harmful substances. This system is inherent in every person.
- The field of medicine that studies the immune system is called “immunology”. In this area, harmful substances entering the body of the living thing are detected by various tests and protective measures are taken against these substances.
- The first task of the immune system is to prevent foreign substances from entering the body. It protects the person against diseases.
- If a microbe has entered beyond control, it is also a duty to prevent the spread of the microbe.
- The immune system works together with other organs in the body.
- When you examine the mechanisms of the immune system, tonsils, lymph nodes, lymph nodes, liver, spleen and bone marrow draw attention. All these organs act in unison to protect the body from diseases.
Immunity, which is divided into 2 groups as active and passive, protects the patient from bacteria:
- Active immunity is acquired by having a disease and being vaccinated. Provides long-term resistance.
- Passive immunity, on the other hand, is gained with medication or serum under the control of a doctor. It has life until the disease passes. Its effect is not as long as active immunity.
Foods that Boost the Immune System
We have all heard that the immune system should be strengthened first when talking about any disease. The immune system is the body’s self-protection mechanism.
The stronger this mechanism, the less likely it is to get sick, and the faster the recovery process after getting sick.
Especially during seasonal transition periods when the weather changes, diseases such as flu and cold are more common. Therefore, the importance of the immune system increases even more during seasonal transitions. It is possible to strengthen the body with food. In addition, sports and regular sleep are absolutely necessary for the immune system to be strong.
So, what are the foods and drinks that strengthen the immune system , let’s examine together:
- Pomegranate, which is one of the antioxidant fruits, is a complete immune friend.
- It instantly removes the microbes that enter the body, allowing you to have a clean body.
- Due to the anthocyanin substance found in red-colored fruits and vegetables, it will strengthen your immune system.
- Spinach, which is the subject of cartoons, will strengthen your immune system because it contains vitamins E and C.
- We recommend consuming spinach in season to take precautions against cancer and many other diseases.
- You should consume vegetable oil sources such as hazelnuts and walnuts raw.
- Nuts that have undergone heat treatment will lose their effect against the immune system.
- Experts emphasize the consumption of dried nuts fresh.
4) Echinacea Tea
- Herbal tea, echinacea, which is preferred in cases of colds, takes its place on this page as healing that protects your immune system.
- A cup of echinacea when you feel tired!
5) Fresh Fish in Season
- One of the secrets of a strong immune system is meeting omega fatty acids.
- For this, you can consume fish 2 times a week.
- Containing vitamin C, lemon helps to clean the virus and bacteria that enter the body.
- Lemon, which gives effective results in keeping the immune system strong, is also an antioxidant food.
- It fights free radicals and keeps diseases away from the body.
- Grapefruit helps to strengthen the immune system, especially against winter diseases.
- You should consume grapefruit at regular intervals to stay away from diseases such as colds.
- You can strengthen your immune system by drinking grapefruit juice.
- It is recommended to consume eggs every morning for a strong body.
- Thanks to the protein in the egg, the weakening of the immune system is prevented.
- Those who consume eggs regularly and in moderation have a healthier body than those who do not.
- Drinking enough water during the day strengthens the immune system.
- Since water is effective in the flow of all body functions, it is among the indispensables for a healthy body.
- Thanks to water, we can benefit from the nutrients that will protect the body efficiently, and thanks to water, we can remove harmful substances and microorganisms from our body more easily.
- Try to consume an average of 1.5-2 liters of water per day, depending on your body weight.
- Since oats contain beta-glucan, which positively stimulates the immune system, it strengthens the body’s defense mechanism.
- Raw consumption of oatmeal sold in markets and herbalists may cause oats to not be fully digested and not show their full benefits.
- Therefore, it would be appropriate to soak the oats overnight in water containing an acid such as lemon, or to cook raw oats in different ways.
- Ginger has a special place as it contains almost every element that is beneficial for the immune system.
- With its vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and manganese, it makes it easier to fight many diseases, especially flu, colds and colds.
12) Onion – Garlic
- Garlic and onion, which have a special place among the foods that strengthen the immune system, have been consumed as disease repellent from past to present.
- Garlic and onion show antioxidant effect with the allicin substance in them.
- Thus, harmful microorganisms that enter the body can neutralize the disease without causing it.
13) Green Tea
- Structures called free radicals can occur during the natural functioning of the body, as well as by factors such as polluted air, smoking or stress.
- Antioxidants fight these structures that are harmful to the body.
- Green tea also strengthens the immune system thanks to its antioxidant effect.
- Green tea should be consumed with caution, as it contains some caffeine and has a diuretic effect.
Immune System Booster Food Groups
Foods that strengthen the immune system increase body resistance thanks to their content. In addition, stress and emotional difficulties are among the factors that weaken immunity. Some foods also indirectly create an immune system-strengthening effect thanks to the happiness hormones they spread throughout the body.
So, what are the foods that strengthen the immune system ? While answering this question, besides giving direct food names, it is an efficient method to examine the food groups containing that substance by looking at which substance in them is effective. Let’s take a look at our list together.
1) Fruits and Vegetables Rich in Vitamins A, C, and E
- Fruits and vegetables strengthen us, especially thanks to the vitamins they contain. Vitamins that play the most important role in strengthening immunity are vitamins A, C, and E.
- Parsley, green pepper, artichoke, rosehip, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, kiwi, strawberry and red pepper are rich in vitamin C.
- Olives and olive oil, almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts are good stores for vitamin E needs.
- Carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, and leeks have nutritious content in terms of vitamin A. Adding an average of 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables to your daily nutrition list will strengthen your immunity.
2) Foods Containing Selenium
- Selenium plays a role in the destruction of microorganisms that may be harmful to the body, and also protects cells. Therefore, foods containing selenium are essential for the immune system.
- Selenium also helps people stay happier and more positive.
- Seafood, chicken, garlic, onions, and whole grains are high in selenium.
3) Zinc-Rich Foods
- Zinc is directly related to the immune system and has the ability to treat the negative effects of free radicals.
- Since it also accelerates the metabolism, it also has the effect of increasing the energy level.
- Turkey meat, dried legumes, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and sesame make you stronger thanks to the zinc they contain.
4) Foods Containing B12
- It is thought that B12 deficiency can lead to nerve problems and mild depression.
- These conditions can also weaken the immune system. Therefore, in order to be fit, foods containing B12 such as eggs, fish, meat, milk, yogurt, cheese, soy milk should be consumed.
- Since it is difficult to get natural B12 today, external supplements can be recommended by doctors according to blood values.
5) Omega 3 Source Foods
- Omega 3 fatty acid is also immune system friendly like B12.
- Fish, flaxseed, walnuts, purslane and avocado contain plenty of this fatty acid.
- The source that is suitable for your taste should be selected and consumed regularly.
6) Effective Sources of Probiotics
- Foods with probiotic effects such as yogurt, kefir and pickles strengthen the immune system by contributing to a healthier gut.
- Today, the importance of the gut is much better understood, as it is now called the second brain. Therefore, strong intestines mean a strong body.
How to Strengthen the Immune System?
In order to have a healthier life, it is necessary to consume foods that strengthen the immune system. The regular and healthy functioning of the organs in the body depends on the foods consumed and the quality of life. The immune system of those who give importance to the intake of vegetables, fruits and protein will always be one step stronger. Here are the ways to strengthen the immune system that we recommend for you to wake up to healthy days:
- Eat healthily: Don’t forget to eat vegetables and fruits. You can have stronger immunity by taking lycopene from tomatoes, carotene from oranges, antioxidant substances from other fruits.
- Take vitamins: You can feel more vigorous and healthy in the cold of winter with immune system strengthening vitamins. Don’t forget to get vitamin C from fruits, vitamin D from the sun, and vitamin A from dairy products.
- Consume a variety of foods: A uniform diet will weaken your immune system. To avoid this, try to eat less of each nutrient. All the nutrients found in nature are effective for your immune system.
- Rest: People who are very active and sleep-deprived will soon have a damaged immune system. For this reason, prefer to sleep and rest by staying away from the things that tire and occupy your mind for at least 6 hours.
- Pay attention to hygiene: Wash your hands frequently during the day to avoid getting germs into your body. You can do this with antibacterial soaps. Do not touch dusty and dirty items unless possible. Hand and face cleaning is important for the immune system.
- Consume unsweetened, medicinal herbal teas: Listen to herbal teas whose benefits are expressed in the media and to the healing that comes from the plant. Many plants have antioxidant properties. You can protect your body from germs with herbal teas such as green tea, chamomile tea, linden and mint tea.
- Take protein: Do not forget to take protein from milk and dairy products, meat types. You will need these nutrients for an energetic day. In order not to feel tired and to strengthen your immune system, take care to consume fish twice a week and meat in meals. Your breakfast should be with cheese and eggs.
- Sports and exercise: In order to strengthen the immune system, people should be interested in sports. It has been observed that a napping body gets sick more often. Those who exercise regularly and eat healthy have a stronger immune system. You can take a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes during the day to stay away from diseases.
What are Immune System Diseases?
When the immune system is out of balance, it works more than expected and starts to produce antibodies on its own. As a result of this situation, immune system diseases are seen. These diseases, which are generally seen in advanced ages, are known as:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Hashimoto’s Disease
- Graves’ Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis is one of the most common diseases.
How is Immune System Test Done?
- Immunity testing is recommended for people who are frequently infected.
- With this test, which is done with blood draw, the quality of immune cells is determined.
- Blood is taken from the patient through tubes. The patient does not need to be hungry for this blood test.
- If the patient who is going to have the test is using cortisone drugs, he should take a break from this drug for a while 7 days before the test.
- Getting blood test results varies between hospitals. Sometimes the test result is examined by the doctor within 7 days and sometimes within 15 days.
- If necessary, your doctor will help you to make your immune system healthy by giving immune system medications.
What Causes Immune System Crash?
The weakening of the immune system is caused by psychological and biological factors. Immune system suppression is experienced for various reasons. In this case, the immune system does not work. When it is said that the immune system collapse causes, the following reasons will confront the person:
- Bad and unhealthy eating habits
- Smoking and alcohol use
- Nutritional deficient in vitamins, proteins and minerals
- Long-term chronic medications
- Not giving importance to personal and environmental cleanliness
- Inactivity and laziness
- Immune system collapses due to irregular sleep hours.
Symptoms of Immune System Crash
- With the collapse of the immune system, the person will experience fatigue, frequent illness, loss of appetite, malaise and tension.
- In addition, distraction and loss of perception are also felt.
- If you lose weight in a short time and your skin color fades, it can be said that the immune system is weak.