The best way to clean dirty sofa upholstery
We all have a place at home where we find peace, tranquility and relax. Some meditate while they cook, others relax on the armchair in the garden, particularly, I prefer my sofa to rest, read, have a moment of leisure on TikTok and talk with my loved ones about what happened during the day. That is why cleaning furniture seems so vital to me.
And yes, although I am careful and methodical, on more than one occasion I have spilled coffee, a few drops of wine , my little ones have left traces of grease when eating on it, and not to mention pet hair ! All of this has to be cleaned and luckily, nowadays cleaning does not have to be a torment if the right utensils and cleaning products are used .
How to Steam Clean Very Dirty Upholstered Sofa
In this article I tell you how to clean the upholstery of the sofa correctly to remove difficult stains, food remains and pet dirt. Follow these tricks to the letter and say goodbye to this headache once and for all!
The method of steam cleaning the upholstery of the sofa, in addition to removing the most persistent dirt, disinfects and helps to get rid of the mites present. However, it is vital that you first move the sofa away from the wall or any nearby furniture, remove all kinds of accessories, cushions and decorative objects from above.
Once this is done, before starting to use steam, make sure that the sofa does not have any dust or food crumbs , you can do it by vacuuming the surface and the corners of the fabric. If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner, use a clean, slightly damp cloth or a soft-bristled brush. Do the same step on cushions, on the back and bottom. Now that you’ve done away with surface grime, it’s time to steam:
- If your vacuum cleaner integrates the steam function , it is ideal, otherwise, you can use a steam cleaner . Fill the tank, connect it to the network and once it reaches the boiling point, place the hose and the cleaner. Don’t forget to select a pressure level indicated by the upholstery manufacturer .
- Steam or steam vacuum large areas of the back and base, and install a smaller head for hard-to-reach nooks and crannies.
- Rub the surface with a microfiber cloth to collect the dirt released by the steam and air the room so that the sofa dries completely.
- At the end, it is advisable to vacuum again to remove hair and remaining crumbs.
How to clean fabric armchairs with baking soda, remove grease and bad smell
We could assure you that there is nothing that baking soda cannot clean , and yes, cleaning sofas, armchairs and chairs upholstered in fabric is one of its strengths, in addition, it is capable of neutralizing bad odors. However, it must be used correctly, otherwise the results will not be very favorable.
- Mix a liter of warm water with 3 heaping tablespoons of baking soda. Once dissolved, pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray a clean cloth with this cleaner and rub it on the grease or oil stain using circular movements.
- Let it act for 15 minutes and then remove with a cloth moistened only with clean water.
Remove blood and sweat stains on sofa upholstery
Another great solution for cleaning stained sofa upholstery is hydrogen peroxide , a substance that removes blood and sweat stains from various fabrics. See how:
- Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water.
- Soak a clean cloth in this liquid without getting it too wet.
- Scrub the stain and wait for it to act for a few minutes.
- Remove the product with a damp cloth and ventilate the environment.
Remember that before trying any of these methods you should carefully read the manufacturer ‘s instruction label . It states if you can use water (W), solvent-based cleaners or only dry (S or P), if it is possible to clean it with water, solvents, dry and even steam (SW) or if a cleaning only with a vacuum cleaner for its delicacy (X).
How to clean the upholstery of a sofa with ammonia?
Cleaning the upholstery of a sofa with ammonia will remove possible stubborn stains, but it can also have negative effects on the furniture. Always remember to do a control test before cleaning with ammonia , that is, apply a little ammonia in a place with little visibility, to know the effects.
Ammonia is a chemical compound that has been used for many years as a cleaning product. In fact, this alkaline liquid is often used by housewives to remove stains from fabrics and other surfaces. However, use it on surfaces or fabrics because it can cause burns or discoloration, it is usually diluted 1 to 10.
If cleaning is complicated, you can add neutral pH soap, warm water and a jet of ammonia to the same container. Stir evenly, then dampen a microfiber cloth to scrub the surface.