Can you freeze Galangal?
Can you freeze galangal? Yes, you can freeze galangal for about 2-3 months.
The most important thing to freeze your galangal is not to remove the skin. By leaving it intact, you will preserve all of its flavor and health benefits.
How to freeze Galangal?
Freezing galangal is very simple. Here’s how:
- Start by cleaning the rhizomes with cold water, then drain them and let them dry. Don’t peel them.
- Then cut the rhizomes into individual portions if desired. Consider how much galangal you typically use in your recipes and choose portions accordingly. You can also grate the galangal if you prefer to use it that way.
- Then put each serving of galangal in a resealable freezer bag.
- Seal freezer bags tightly, pushing out as much air as possible.
- Label the freezer bags with the date and contents, then put the galangal in the freezer.
What is the shelf life of Galangal in the freezer?
Galangal will keep for about 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
How to thaw galangal?
When you take the galangal out of the freezer, it will be very hard. This is the best time to grate it if that’s how you want to use it to prepare your dish. If you’ve taken out a piece that’s too big for your immediate needs, you can grate it and put the rest back in the freezer.
If you don’t want to grate your galangal, let it thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes; it will have the perfect consistency to be peeled. Instead of using a sharp knife to remove the skin, you can use a spoon.