Can you freeze cauliflower?
Can you freeze cauliflower? Yes it’s possible ! Cauliflower freezes particularly well. It is difficult to tell the difference between fresh cauliflower and frozen cauliflower, as long as you cook it well after defrosting.
How to freeze cauliflower?
- Before freezing your cauliflower, it must be cleaned. First, run it under cold water to remove visible dirt. Next, cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Then fill a saucepan with tap water and add a few tablespoons of salt. This brine is great for ridding your cauliflower of any critters that might be in it. Immerse your cauliflower in the solution for 30 minutes, then drain and rinse under tap water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Immerse your cauliflower florets in boiling water for 3 minutes then immediately immerse them in a bowl or saucepan filled with cold water to instantly stop the cooking. This step consists of blanching the cauliflower so that it can withstand freezing better.
- Wash the cauliflower and let it dry.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure that the florets do not touch each other. The idea is to pre-freeze each bunch of cauliflower individually so they don’t stick together later. This will make it easier to defrost small portions. Put the baking sheet in the freezer for several hours.
- Once the cauliflower florets are completely frozen, remove the baking sheet from the freezer and transfer the florets to a freezer bag or an airtight container. Seal the freezer bag or container tightly, pushing out as much air as possible.
- Label the freezer bag or container with the date and contents, then return the cauliflower florets to the freezer.
How long does cauliflower last in the freezer?
Raw, blanched cauliflower will keep for about 12 to 18 months in the freezer .
How to thaw cauliflower?
To thaw cauliflower (or cauliflower florets), refrigerate overnight to thaw gently. This way the cauliflower won’t get mushy when you cook it.
You can also cook your cauliflower directly without thawing it first by plunging it into boiling water.
Can you freeze cauliflower without blanching it?
Yes, it is not essential and your cauliflower will still be perfectly frozen. However, blanching is an added safety measure that helps eliminate any bacteria present in the cauliflower.
If you freeze cauliflower as is and bacteria are present, freezing will not kill them, but will numb them until you thaw it.