What is Whole Wheat Flour? 10 Lesser Known Benefits
The flours used in the food industry create delicious dishes. Flour, the most basic ingredient of pastry, is widely produced and consumed in Turkey. White flour, brown flour, wheat flour, corn flour and whole wheat flour are one of the types of flour mentioned. On this page, we will provide you with useful information on whole wheat flour. In order to eat healthy and protect heart health, we want you to meet with whole wheat flour.
For those who think that whole wheat flour, which is mentioned frequently in diet nutrition, is healthy; In this article, where we include the opinions of nutritionists, we wanted to remind you what you can do with whole wheat flour.
You can prepare delicious foods when whole wheat flour, which is an alternative for those who do not want to use white flour, enters your kitchen. Moreover, when you hear about the benefits of whole wheat flour, you may regret why you did not use it before.
Here are the most curious properties of whole wheat flour!
What is Whole Wheat Flour?
- Whole wheat flour is a type of flour with high nutritional value.
- Whole wheat flour contains beneficial substances such as bran, germ and protein.
- Whole wheat flour, which is rich in dietary fibers and phytosterols, is ground without losing its nutritional value and becomes ready for use.
- Whole wheat flour, which is the most suitable flour for the digestive system of people, is preferred in the production of many floury foods because it has the task of keeping it full for a long time.
Whole Wheat Flour Calories and Nutritional Values
Whole wheat flour has different properties than refined flours in terms of calories and nutritional value. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value and calorie amount of whole wheat flour, which is recommended to be included in healthy meals, under this heading:
- 1 teaspoon of whole wheat flour: 24 calories
- 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour: 34 calories
- 1 coffee cup of whole wheat flour: 170 calories
- Half a cup of whole wheat flour: 187 calories
- 1 cup whole wheat flour: 374 calories
The nutritional values in 1 cup of whole wheat flour are expressed as follows:
- 79.17 grams of Carbs
- 14.53 grams of Protein
- 2.75 grams Fat
- 11.77 grams of Fiber
- 3.3. mg Sodium
- 370.7 mg Potassium
- 35.2mg Calcium
- 2.2 iu of vitamin A
- 3.74 grams of Iron
10 Little-Known Benefits of Whole Wheat Flour
1) Protects Intestinal Health
- Whole wheat flour is a nutrient that accelerates metabolism. With this aspect, it enables the intestines to work actively.
- It is recommended that people with intestinal laziness consume bread and foods made with whole wheat flour.
2) Strengthens the Immune System
- Whole wheat flour contains B vitamins, folate, zinc and iron. These substances play an active role in strengthening the immune system.
- To have a disease-free body, you can choose whole wheat flour instead of refined flour.
3) Reduces Diabetes Risk by 30%
- Whole wheat flour recommended in diabetic diet alleviates the effects of diabetes.
- Those who want to stay away from diabetes reduce the risk of this disease by 30% by consuming whole wheat flour.
4) Controls Sugar
- Blood sugar is a condition that fluctuates frequently throughout the day. You can consume whole wheat flour to keep blood sugar balanced.
- To prevent sudden hunger and to prevent sudden fatigue, you should prefer whole wheat flour.
5) Provides Toughness for a Long Time
- Whole wheat flour contains dietary fiber. Thanks to dietary fiber, it provides satiety for a long time.
- If you are a person who is often hungry, you can eat less by including whole wheat flour in your meals. Thus, you take a step to lose weight.
6) Blood Pressure Balances
- High blood pressure patients should stay away from refined flour.
- Whole wheat flour is a flour for high blood pressure patients.
- Whole wheat flour, which has a tension balancing direction, keeps the blood pressure at an ideal level and prevents sudden drops and rises.
7) Prevents Heart Diseases
- Whole wheat flour is one of the healthiest ways to prevent heart disease.
- This flour, which regulates blood circulation, prevents blood clotting and vascular occlusion.
- It is recommended to eat whole wheat flour to stay away from heart disease.
8) Energy Source
- Whole wheat flour containing B1, B3, B9, E, potassium, selenium, folate and iron is a flour that will meet your daily energy needs.
- Whole wheat flour recommended in sports nutrition takes its place in healthy recipes.
9) Protects the Body Against Colon Cancer
- Colon cancer, which may occur as a result of the loss of function of the intestines, can be prevented with whole wheat flour.
- By consuming whole wheat flour, the functioning of the intestines is regulated. Parasites are expelled, cancer disease is prevented with cleaner intestines.
10) Supports Muscle and Bone Development
- Thanks to the whole wheat flour, which has a high nutritional value, muscle and bone development is also supported.
- By consuming whole wheat flour, adults and children are kept away from bone diseases.
What to Do with Whole Wheat Flour?
You can add whole wheat flour to recipes using white flour. For those who say what can I do with whole wheat flour, we have created a list as follows:
- You can prepare pancakes with whole wheat flour and serve healthy snacks for breakfast.
- Those who want to bake a low-calorie cake can use whole wheat flour as much as a measure of white flour.
- If you are adding some flour while making an omelet, you can add whole wheat flour.
- You can prepare pastry with whole wheat flour. Since this flour does not rise much in leavened recipes, it is recommended to mix it with some white flour.
- You can also use whole wheat flour to try fit cookies.
Does Whole Wheat Flour Make You Gain Weight?
- Whole wheat flour is a nutrient that facilitates the work of those who want to lose weight. Because recipes made with this flour do not harm the stomach and do not cause a feeling of bloating.
- Since it balances blood sugar, it prevents frequent hunger in a short time.
- Thanks to the whole wheat flour, which accelerates the metabolism, weight gain is not possible when consumed in a controlled manner, as the intestines are revitalized.
Does Whole Wheat Flour Have Gluten?
Yes, flour contains gluten as it is a grain product.
Some flours are produced separated from gluten. So, can those who are sensitive to gluten consume whole wheat flour? Let’s take a look!
- According to nutritionists, whole wheat flour is a flour that celiac patients should not consume.
- Since whole wheat flour contains gluten, it should not be consumed by sensitive people.
- For parents who are considering the question of whether whole wheat flour can be given to babies, we would like to remind you that this flour contains gluten. Healthy babies, on the other hand, can consume it after completing the 8th month after the doctor’s approval.
What are the Differences Between Whole Wheat Flour and Regular Flour?
There are a few differences between whole wheat flour and white flour. Let’s share these differences with you right now!
- While white flour is rich in starch and gluten; Whole wheat flour is also rich in protein and germ.
- Whole wheat flour has higher nutritional value than white flour.
- While white flour causes weight gain, whole wheat flour provides weight control.