What Are the Types of Peppers and Their Benefits?
Types of Peppers, which will sometimes sweeten your palate and sometimes leave a pleasant bitterness, become indispensable in all conditions. Thanks to the flavor, color and smell it will add to the meal, the pickled peppers that will settle in the corner of the kitchens are also good.
Peppers, which stand out with the flavor they add to meals or salads, have become an indispensable part of popular recipes. Many pepper varieties with different characteristics find their place in the distinguished examples of our food culture.
Hot pepper lovers also take care to use hot peppers to beautify their meals. Peppers, which can appeal to all kinds of tastes with their bitter and sweet taste, are also very useful in terms of health. In addition to being a source of vitamin C, pepper also contains many minerals.
What is Pepper? What Are the Types of Peppers?
Pepper is a vegetable belonging to the nightshade family, and most varieties are green when fresh. Pepper varieties, which have sweet or bitter properties, are among the important ingredients that add flavor to the dishes. In addition, some varieties are also used as a garnish or in making tomato paste. Pepper is a vegetable rich in vitamins. Different types of peppers, which you can use abundantly in meals, will be very beneficial for your health, although they may burn your mouth from time to time.
- One of the pepper varieties consumed abundantly on the tables is the sharp pepper. If it is dried or overripe, it starts to turn red. Spicy peppers, which can be hot or sweet, can also be pickled.
- Charleston pepper, on the other hand, is slightly thicker than the pointed pepper with its meaty structure. Green peppers, which are generally sweet, can be consumed by frying or adding to salads.
- The bell pepper , which tells everything with its name, enriches our traditional dishes with its sweet or bitter varieties.
- Tomato pepper is an ideal variety for making tomato paste, and ornamental peppers can accompany the dishes with their pickles.
What is the Nutritional Value of Pepper? How Many Calories in Pepper?
Green pepper should be consumed in abundance, especially in winter , with its high vitamin C content. A 100mg serving contains approximately 242mg of Vitamin C, 18mg of Calcium, 340mg of Potassium and 25mg of Magnesium. Red pepper is also very high in vitamin A.
Stunning with its flavor, pickled peppers are also an ideal food in terms of calories. Pickled peppers, which have an average of 24 kcal per 100 grams, are often served alongside dishes such as doner kebab.
The indispensable taste of peppers can be reflected in dishes with many different cooking techniques. If we ask how many calories are in stuffed peppers, which has a special place among these dishes , the answer will change according to the ingredients in the stuffing. A 100 mg serving of stuffed peppers with olive oil stuffed with rice comes in almost 176 kcal. The calorie amount of fried peppers in the same portion is approximately 87 kcal.
What Are the Benefits of Pepper?
- Pepper varieties strengthen the body’s immune system thanks to the antioxidant substances they contain.
- Peppers, which contain a high amount of fiber in their structure, are also very effective in reducing problems such as constipation .
- Although there is no clear answer to the question of whether pepper makes you lose weight, it is thought that some pepper varieties can accelerate fat burning by increasing body metabolism.
- Pepper varieties, which contain many useful minerals, help the digestive system to work.
- The intense vitamin C of peppers provides resistance against infections that occur especially in cold seasons.
- Green pepper, which has effects such as improving memory, also helps to reduce stress.
- Products such as pepper cream or pepper oil can be used by applying to the skin in various situations. As with all medicines, do not use pepper creams and oils without your doctor’s approval.
- Peppers, which have many benefits, can also cause effects such as pepper allergy in some bodies . In such a case, you should go to the nearest health institution without wasting time and go through a doctor’s examination.
How Is Pepper Cultivated? When to Plant Peppers?
Pepper is a type of vegetable that loves warm and hot seasons and can be affected by cold. In order to learn how to grow pepper , first of all , it is necessary to explain the answer to the question of how to obtain pepper seeds . The pepper marked as a seed is expected to mature, dry, wrinkle and turn red. After sufficient time has passed, the seeds can be easily separated. Pepper seed germination can be done by planting it on hot pillows. When the seedlings with 3 or 4 leaves are formed, the tube is transplanted.
During the main planting that can be done in the field, life water is given and then the pepper care process continues. Pepper seedlings, care and watering is a job that requires care. As an answer to the question of how to water pepper , it can be recommended to prefer regular irrigation systems. As the irrigation method, drip irrigation method will be suitable. Pepper, which can be sown on the pillow around March, can be planted in the fields towards the middle of May. Harvest, which can be started at the end of June or in July, generally ends in October.
How to Dry Pepper?
Peppers are highly productive vegetables that can be consumed in many ways, from meals to salads, from tomato paste to pickles. Dried peppers, which can be added to these methods, are often preferred for preparation for winter. Both fried and bell peppers can be dried conveniently.
In bell peppers, they are first emptied and washed for drying. The bell peppers, which are free of seeds, are dried by stringing them on a thread. In order to dry the fried peppers, it is necessary to cut them vertically. Cutting the washed and cleaned roast peppers vertically will help them dry faster.
As an answer to the question of how to store pepper, deep freezer can be preferred, and pepper can be easily stored for the winter by drying method.
Why Is Pepper Bitter?
It is the substance called Capsaicin in the pepper that makes it hot . The bitterness of the pepper changes according to the ratio of this substance. Chili peppers, which are formed as a result of beating dried red peppers, are among the spices used extensively in our country.
Hot chili peppers are often preferred in kebabs and soups. Eating hot pepper is related to one’s eating habits. A pepper that is hot to some people may not be bitter to others.