What is poppy? What are the Benefits?
Poppy, which has a special place in the kitchens, is one of the rare tastes with its taste, benefits and laborious preparation. Medicine in the field of medicine, and in the kitchens, it becomes a taste with its sweets and pastries.
What Is Poppy, What Does It Mean?
- Poppy, whose agriculture in Anatolia dates back to ancient times, is mostly produced in Afyon and Eskişehir. Its consumption is also mostly in these regions. Especially in Afyon’s pastries, buns and breads, poppy is an indispensable food.
- Although it is considered as a negative plant by the society, it is actually quite useful.
- Consumed in meals, dried and crushed capsules are not harmful to health.
- It also adds a nice flavor to recipes.
- There are 3 types of dried one as black, white and yellow.
- The black one is not used much because it is too oily. It is the yellow and white variety used in buns.
- When the poppy is examined in terms of nutritional value, 100 grams of poppy seeds have an average of 525 calories, but there are small amounts of vitamin C and B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium. A 100-gram seed consists of approximately 40 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbohydrates, and 18 grams of protein.
- If you were to ask what food poppy is used in, this plant is mostly used in desserts and pastries, but if you like to try different flavors, you can add poppy to your hearty salads and chicken dishes.
What are the Benefits of Poppy?
- In addition to its delicious aroma, poppy seeds, which are beneficial for health, contain calcium, potassium, zinc, iron, manganese and copper minerals.
- Especially copper is very effective in the production of blood cells. At the same time, the oil extracted from its seeds is rich in Omega-3 and omega-6. Poppy benefits are strengthened by the fatty acids in it.
- It is beneficial for the brain and heart. Manganese is known for its powerful antioxidant properties.
- Its pain reliever feature brings its use in the medical industry.
- With the oleic acid in its seed, it reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
- It balances blood pressure with its potassium content. For this reason, it has many benefits for blood pressure patients.
- Thanks to its rich fiber content, it helps to eliminate constipation problems.
- It also has an effect on reducing skin problems and beautifying the skin.
- As with any food, excessive consumption of poppy is of course harmful. Therefore, in terms of health, it should be consumed in moderation.
- Poppy is also not dangerous in terms of calories. There are 47 calories in 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds.
- Although the benefits of poppy are very high, people with poppy allergy should get these benefits from other natural foods.
- Like many allergies, poppy allergy also shows symptoms such as eczema, swelling in the face and throat, and nausea.
Where Does Poppy Grow?
- The poppy plant, a plant from the poppy family, is grown in the Aegean and Central Anatolian regions. It is often consumed in the Aegean region.
- Poppy is derived from the Arabic word χaşχāş خشخاش, which means opium plant. The meaning of poppy is related to the word hash, that is, the sound of hard friction, according to the discourses of some researchers.
- Poppy is a plant that loves a warm climate. However, it is also resistant to low temperatures.
- It is produced mostly in the Eastern Mediterranean. It is a plant that requires warm weather and abundant rainfall.
- In our country, the region where it is produced the most is Afyon.
- The name opium also comes from its poppy production. Apart from Afyon, poppy is produced in a few more provinces in the Black Sea and Central Anatolia.
- In our country and in many countries, its production is done under state control.
- It is forbidden to grow poppy individually due to its misuse.
- The poppy field is inspected by the authorities at regular intervals until it comes from the Soil Crop Office.
- Because it causes serious problems when it is produced and consumed unconsciously. There are also those who produce illegally in the Hatay region.
- There is no poppy tree, the poppy plant grows in the fields in a similar appearance to wheat.
- The poppy plant contains seeds in its tuberous fruit. Poppy oil is also obtained from the poppy seed contained in the capsule.
Where to Find Poppy?
- In addition to its therapeutic use in the medical sector, it is also among the sought-after tastes in the kitchen.
- In this respect, it is often preferred by women.
- There is no harm in using it correctly and judiciously.
- Indispensable for recipes, poppy is easily obtained from herbalists. It can also be found in some major supermarkets.
- As with almost every food, the prices of poppy, which can be purchased online, are generally more affordable in online shopping.
How Is a Poppy Beaten?
- After the poppy is collected from the field, the process of breaking the poppy capsules takes place.
- This process, which used to be done by chewing with the feet, is started to be done in the machine with the development of technology.
- Thanks to the machines, it is done in a much shorter time and effortlessly.
- The sieved poppy is first roasted and allowed to dry thoroughly.
- If the dried poppy is made by hand, it is pounded on special stones and crushed. This process is quite cumbersome.
- In addition to manual labor, machines are also used for forging.
- Machines make this job more practical and faster.
- But most of the time, it doesn’t give as good quality results as hand tattooing. The poppy that passes through these processes becomes ready for use.
- Poppy paste can be eaten by spooning in the form of paste, as well as used in pastries, muffins and desserts. Or it can be used for breakfast.
Does Poppy Paste Go Bad?
- Poppy is not a food that spoils immediately in 1-2 months. Therefore, it does not need to be consumed in a short time.
- Like many foods, poppy paste will last up to 1 year if kept in a cool place away from sunlight and closed.
- If it is stored in the deep freezer for longer life, this period can be extended up to 2 years.
- It is taken as much to be used when desired, and thus it is used longer.
- During this period, it can be easily used in pastries, breakfast or salads.
What is Poppy Oil? What Are the Benefits of Poppy Oil?
- Poppy oil is one of the vegetable oils that has attracted attention in recent years.
- It is obtained from the seeds inside the poppy capsule.
- This oil is obtained during the roasting and crushing of seeds.
- Especially in black poppy, the oil rate is higher than the others. Seeds contain 50-60% oil.
- They are very healthy fats.
- Poppy oil is rich in vitamin E, antioxidants, omega and many more. For this reason, it is very useful in body structure and many diseases.
- It is used especially in the health sector with its pain reliever and calming properties.
- Poppy oil is used in medicine as well as useful in skin care and hair care.
- Protects skin moisture, regulates the functions of skin cells. When feeling tired, some poppy oil is dropped into the bath water to relieve body fatigue.
- In cases such as toothache, headache, it provides pain relief when applied on the aching area.
- It makes the hair grow faster in slow growing hair.
- It also strengthens the roots of the hair.
- With all these positive aspects and the great taste it gives to recipes, even those who do not use poppy should discover and try it as soon as possible.