The Best Homemade Vanilla Syrup: A Gourmet and Natural Touch
Homemade vanilla syrup, an artisanal delicacy with an authentic flavor , is a real gem for lovers of cocktails, refreshing drinks and gourmet pastries.
Although often overlooked in traditional cocktail recipes, this syrup offers an explosion of vanilla flavors that will enhance each of your culinary creations. In addition, its long cold storage life makes it a valuable asset in your kitchen.
The Key to Making an Exceptional Homemade Vanilla Syrup
The success of a homemade vanilla syrup relies on a well-mastered recipe. Follow our valuable advice to obtain a syrup that will honor vanilla.
- Warning! If our recipe offers you a considerable quantity of syrup, around 80 cl, intended for making 80 to 100 cocktails, do not ignore Chef Arnaud’s recommendations. You wouldn’t want to dilute the vanilla soul in a tiny amount of syrup. In this case, we recommend turning your simple syrup into a rich syrup by adding double the sugar to the water. This trick, by increasing the sugar content, creates an environment hostile to the development of bacteria. Your syrup will keep much longer. Don’t forget to store your precious syrup in the refrigerator, an essential measure to ensure its freshness and quality.
Vanilla: The Secret of an Incomparable Syrup
The secret to exceptional vanilla syrup lies in the choice of vanilla itself. Don’t make the mistake of substituting the real pod with vanilla sugar or “natural” vanilla extract. For an authentic and refined result, opt without hesitation for real vanilla pods.
Never buy a red vanilla pod, hybrid vanilla from Madagascar. The first is a by-product of vanilla and the second does not exist.
Bourbon Vanilla offers the characteristic taste of vanilla, while Tahitian Vanilla reveals a unique spicy scent with floral notes.
It is essential to invest in a good vanilla pod.
The cost is generally between €1.75 and €3 for a gourmet quality pod depending on the packaging. One fleshy pod can be enough to flavor your 100 cocktails, which comes to around €0.10 per cocktail. A minimal investment compared to the cost of the alcohol that makes up your cocktails.
It is in particular this quality vanilla syrup that we find in Tiki cocktail recipes, renowned for their exotic and captivating flavors.
The best vanilla syrup recipe
- 500ml of water
- 500g of sugar
- 2 bourbon vanilla pods from Madagascar or 3 tahitensis vanillas from Papua
- Open your vanilla pod in water and put it in the water with the scraped seeds for 30 minutes at room temperature or ideally at 45°C.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and water with the vanilla then mix while heating slightly
- Turn the heat on high.
- Bring to a boil then turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool covered.
- Don’t forget to look at the consistency you want.