Pasta salad with salmon
This salmon pasta salad is great when you want to eat something different, healthy and delicious that is made easy.
You can prepare it in advance and serve it cold: a perfect dish for those days when you need a quick lunch or have little time to prepare dinner.
SALMON COLD PASTA SALAD RECIPE
Why is this salmon pasta salad perfect? First, because if you are taking your first steps in the kitchen, you can assemble it without complications in 30 minutes. Boil the pasta, sear the salmon in a pan, and then all you have to do is mix!
Second, it is a healthy recipe. If you’re watching what you eat to maintain a healthy diet, this salad is great because it combines just the right amount of protein, carbs, and other nutritious ingredients.
And most importantly: it tastes spectacular! The tender salmon, the crunchy onion, the sweetness of the juicy tomatoes, the delicious taste of the pesto… all this mixed with pasta and a little cheese and basil. The result is a super tasty salad that you will want to make often!
I usually assemble this salad after making Baked Salmon in Foil . With the leftovers, I solve the next day’s meal. The rest are simple ingredients that you surely always have on hand in the kitchen.
This is what you need:
- Pasta: I use penne pasta in this recipe, but it also works great with elbows, macaroni, or any other type of pasta.
- Fresh Salmon – If you want this salad to come out super flavorful, I recommend using fresh salmon. If you don’t get it, it will still be good with canned salmon.
- salt and pepper: to season.
- olive oil: to cook the salmon.
- red onion: slice very thinly for maximum flavor.
- tomato: cherry or traditional. They provide flavor, nutrition and a beautiful color.
- pesto – you can use store-bought pesto or make your own homemade pesto .
- lemon juice: gives salmon pasta salad a tangy touch.
- Parmesan or Romano cheese: Cheese is always a good idea. Grate a little before serving and sprinkle over the salad.
- fresh basil in pieces: optional, to decorate.
Below you will find the recipe with the ingredients and amounts.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON PASTA SALAD
This salmon pasta salad is what you need when you have little time and want a tasty and healthy meal: you cook the pasta and salmon, mix everything together and in half an hour you have an epic dish ready to serve.
This is how it is prepared:
- Cook the pasta
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain the water and transfer the pasta to a large salad bowl.
- Prepare the salmon
Dry the salmon fillets with kitchen paper and season them with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook the salmon
In a large skillet with a little olive oil, cook the salmon on both sides, until it is easy to cut with a fork. Remove the salmon from the heat, cut it into large pieces and add it to the pasta.
- Assemble the salad
To the container with pasta and salmon, add the onion and tomato.
- Add the dressings.
Add the pesto and lemon juice and stir to combine the ingredients so that the pesto coats everything.
Before serving, sprinkle Parmesan cheese and fresh basil pieces over the salad.
If you have a can of salmon lying around in your pantry, you can also use that to make this 5-Minute Canned Salmon Salad recipe.
CAN PASTA SALAD BE FROZEN?
I don’t recommend freezing the salad because pasta tends to lose its texture and fresh tomatoes don’t freeze well. However, you can store it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 2 days.
Pasta Salad with Salmon
Do you want to eat something different? Make this cold pasta salad with salmon and enjoy a rich and healthy dish that is ready in half an hour.
- PREPARATION: 10 min
- COOKING: 25 min
- TOTAL TIME: 35 min
- Persons: 8
- 16ounces (340 g) penne pasta or whatever you like
- 10 ⅔ounces (225 g) fresh salmon about 2 fillets
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 ⅔tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 ⅓small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ⅔cups cherry tomatoes or 2 chopped salad tomatoes
- ⅔cup (115 g) store-bought or homemade pesto
- 1 ⅓lemon squeezed
- 3/7cup (35 g) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Optional chopped fresh basil for garnish
STEP BY STEP ELABORATION
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the package. Drain the water, transfer the pasta to a large salad bowl, and allow to cool completely.
- Dry the salmon fillets with kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Place the salmon in the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden/sealed on each side and can be easily cut with a fork. Remove the salmon from the pan and transfer it to a plate.
- Separate the salmon into large pieces and add it to the pasta bowl along with the onions and tomatoes.
- Add the pesto and lemon juice and stir to integrate the ingredients so that the pesto coats everything evenly. If it’s too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the dressing a bit.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil (optional) and mix to combine before serving.
- Serving: 1 serving
- Calories: 429 kcal
- Carbohydrates : 47.5g
- Protein : 20.4g
- Fat : 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol : 29.1mg
- Sodium : 374.5mg
- Fiber : 3g