How to Prepare Celeriac? Cooking or Stewing, Baking, Frying
Celeriac is a variant of celery. Celeriac forms a tuber just above the ground and grows to about 10 cm. The leaves of the celeriac can also be eaten, but how can you prepare celeriac?
Prepare celeriac. After cleaning, we cut the celeriac into slices or, more commonly, into cubes. Then you can boil or stew it. But you can also bake and deep-fry celeriac. Roasting in the oven or grill pan gives a nice grill taste.
There are many options for preparing celeriac. Reason enough to try it out! Below is a description of what you can do with preparing celeriac.
How to clean celeriac?
Cleaning celeriac requires some attention and a large sharp knife. First of all, the celeriac is washed and scrubbed to remove sand, otherwise, there will be sand everywhere. Then the side of the roots is cut off. Now cut the celeriac in half and peel the celeriac from top to bottom.
During your work in the kitchen, good and sharp knives are essential. This makes work fun and easy. This knife block on bol.com is highly recommended!
When the celeriac is peeled, slices are cut. Then cut into cubes, depending on the recipe found.
How to Cook Celeriac?
Clean the celeriac as described above. Then it can be cooked. What are you going to do?
- Cut into even cubes, about 1 cm square.
- Place a pan with water on the heat source, add salt, and put the celeriac in the pan.
- Let the water boil and then put it on a lower heat (boil).
- After about 14 minutes, taste whether the celeriac is cooked.
- Turn off the heat source and drain the celeriac in the sink.
Then the celeriac goes into the pan or bowl and a knob of butter is added. Toss with the herbs as desired. This can be, for example, nutmeg or ‘just’ salt and pepper.
How to Stew Celeriac?
Clean the celeriac and cut it into cubes as described above. Braising celeriac is usually done with other vegetables such as onions or carrots. How does the stewing work?
- Cut the carrots into slices and the onions into rings.
- Fry the onions and carrots in the pan for a while. Add salt, pepper, and other spices to taste.
- After 5 minutes, the celeriac goes into the pan. Simultaneously add 125 milliliters of vegetable stock to the pan.
- The celeriac and other vegetables must be submerged and able to stew. Set the heat source to medium-high and the lid on the pan.
- After about 15 to 20 minutes, the vegetables can be removed from the pan and you have delicious stewed celeriac with carrots and onion.
How to Bake Celeriac?
Baking is of course also possible. Simply put in the pan with a little oil or vegetable butter. How do you prepare it?
- Wash and peel the celeriac as described above.
- Then cut the celeriac into slices.
- Turn on the heat and put a layer of sunflower oil in a pan.
- When it is hot, place the discs or slices in the pan and set the heat source to a medium-high setting.
- The celeriac slices are now alternately fried brown. Top with vegetable cheese and let the celeriac cook for another 5 minutes.
- Make sure that it does not burn, turn the heat source down if necessary.
Remove the celeriac from the pan and let it drain. Delicious as a side dish with baked potatoes, for example.
Celeriac From The Airfryer
Wash and peel the celeriac as described above and cut it first into slices and then into strips so that you get fries.
Boil the celeriac chips for 1 minute and then rinse them again with cold water (= blanching). Pat the celeriac with kitchen paper and add a few drops of oil. When more oil is added, the fries become soft and soggy.
Season the fries with your favorite herbs and toss with your hands. Look at the instruction of the air fryer and set the temperature to the correct setting, probably 200 degrees. After about 16 minutes, the celeriac fries are ready.
How Celeriac In The Deep Fryer?
Wash and cut the celeriac as described above and first cut into slices and then into 1 cm thick strips.
- Put a pan of water on and let it boil.
- Boil the fries in a pan of boiling water for about 3 minutes and rinse them immediately under the cold tap.
- Drain them and pat them dry with a tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Also, turn on the deep fryer at 180 degrees.
- Place the fries in the fryer for 3 to 4 minutes. Now that the celeriac is nicely browned, they are removed from the fat. Drain the fries and serve.
How to Roast Celeriac?
Wash and peel the celeriac as described above. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Cut the celeriac into slices and then into thick strips. Put a few drops of oil on the bars and add the spices, such as paprika, garlic, or salt and pepper. Place the bars on an oven tray lined with baking paper and slide them into the oven.
When the bars are nicely colored, approximately after 40 minutes, they can be removed from the oven. Taste to see if everything is to your liking. When the celeriac needs to be cooked a little more, put it back in the oven. Enjoy your meal!
How to grill celeriac?
Wash and peel the celeriac as described above and cut it into slices. About 1 cm thickness. Make a marinade of, for example, soy sauce with other herbs and spices and brush it over the celeriac. You can grill in different ways: in the grill pan or on the barbecue.
When the pan or barbecue are hot, place the celeriac discs on top. After 8 minutes the celeriac is turned over and the other side is also grilled for 8 minutes. Delicious on a sandwich with other vegetables and some chili sauce.
How to Eat Celeriac Raw?
Wash and peel the celeriac as described above. To eat the celeriac raw, it is good to grate it into very thin strips or to crush it in a food processor. Celeriac is delicious with soaked raisins, apples, and some nuts. You can make a sauce of soy yogurt with some agave syrup and salt. There are plenty of dressings that can go with it.