How to Peel and Prepare Parsnips Cooking, Oven, Grilling, Steaming
Parsnip is a root crop that grows in fairly loose soil. The root cannot grow in clay soil. Parsnip is a white root and grows to about 20 centimeters. Parsnips have an anise-like and sweet taste and because of this taste, they are often served with carrots. But how can you prepare parsnips?
Prepare parsnips. Parsnips can of course be cooked, but you can also roast them in the oven or bake them until they are nicely cooked. You can stir fry or stir fry it in small pieces. In addition to cooking, you can also prepare parsnips by steaming and for the healthy among us it can also be done in the airfryer.
You can also use parsnips to make a stew. Yes, you can! Read our article about stews for this. There are 22 stamppot described. Fun to read and fun to prepare.
Parsnip Cleaning And Peeling
First, the parsnip is well washed so that all the sand is off. As a result, there is no sand on the cutting board, which works better and eats more pleasantly. After that, the carrot is peeled with a peeler. Nutrients from the parsnip are located just below the skin, so the thinner it is peeled, the more nutrients remain in the root.
During your work in the kitchen, good and sharp knives are essential. This makes work fun and easy.
How To Cook Parsnips?
We start with cooking because this is the most commonly used preparation method in the Netherlands. Wash and peel the parsnips as described above.
- Cut off both ends of the carrot.
- Cut the parsnip into as many equal cubes as possible so that they are all cooked at the same time.
- Put water in a pan and boil the water. Add some salt.
- When the water boils, add the parsnips. Bring the water back to a boil.
- Taste after 15 minutes whether the parsnip cubes are cooked. Otherwise, let it cook a little longer.
- Drain the parsnips in a colander placed in the sink. Let the parsnips drain.
Place the parsnips in a bowl and stir in a knob of vegetable butter. Deliciously creamy and you can serve it right away.
How To Get Parsnips Out Of The Oven?
Another way to prepare parsnips is in the oven. Again, first clean and wash the parsnips as described above.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash and peel the parsnip as described above and cut off both ends of the parsnip.
- Then cut the parsnip in half lengthwise and then in half again lengthwise so that you get thin long strips.
- Place the parsnips on an oven tray covered with baking paper (carrots and onions can be a nice addition). Drizzle the parsnips with some oil.
- Now, if necessary, some herbs can be applied separately. Think of thyme or rosemary or a homemade mix of herbs.
- The oven time is approximately 30 minutes. It is advisable to check after 25 minutes whether the parsnip is cooked.
When the parsnip is soft, the oven tray with parsnip can be removed from the oven. Place the parsnips in a bowl and pour some Balsamic cream over the parsnips. However, there are several dressings that lend themselves to this.
How to Grill Parsnips?
You can also prepare parsnips by grilling. Wash and peel the parsnips as described above.
- Cut off both ends of the parsnip and cut the parsnip in half lengthwise. Do this again. Now there are some long strips of the parsnip.
- Place the parsnip on a plate and pour some oil over it. Toss the parsnip well.
- Make the grill pan very hot, without oil. There is already enough oil on the parsnip.
- Place the parsnip strips in the pan with tongs. Let it grill for 10 minutes. Turn the parsnip halfway so that there are nice stripes on the parsnip.
- Taste to see if it is cooked or poke it briefly to see if the parsnip is soft. Turn the heat down slightly when the parsnips start to burn. It has to keep grilling.
Make a balsamic dressing when you eat the parsnips with boiled or baked potatoes. A dressing of soy yogurt, mustard and tarragon also taste great with this.
How to Steam Parsnips?
Put on a large pot of water with some salt, which fits the steamer basket or iron colander. The water should not touch the bottom of the steamer basket or colander in which the parsnips will be placed. So a very small layer of water comes into the pan. Not too little either! The pan may burn. A lid must fit on the pan.
Wash and peel the parsnips as described above. Cut off both ends of the parsnip. Cut the parsnip into even-sized slices of about one centimeter. Let the water boil. Place the parsnips in the basket or colander and place them in the large pan. Put the lid on.
After about 10 minutes, taste yourself, the parsnip is cooked. Using tongs, remove the basket from the hot pan and place it in the sink. Let it drain a little and then put it on a plate. You can now scoop the parsnips from the basket.
How to Wok Parsnips?
Wash and peel the parsnips as described above. Cut off both ends of the roots. Then cut the carrots into slices. Place the wok on the heat source and add some sunflower oil. Let this get hot.
Add the parsnips and wok the parsnips in a short time on a high setting, until done. This way of cooking keeps the vitamins well. Taste after 4 minutes to see if the parsnips are cooked. If several vegetables are stir-fried, this can take longer. Serve the parsnips.
Parsnips from the Airfryer
Wash and cut the parsnips as described above. Cut both ends of the parsnip. The air fryer goes at 180 degrees, but that can differ per device. Read the package insert of the device. Cut both ends of the parsnip. Cut the parsnip into strips or cubes. Just what is desired.
Drizzle some oil over the parsnips and toss with your hands. Place the parsnips in the air fryer. After about 30 minutes, the parsnip strips will be a nice golden brown. Serve in a bowl. Enjoy your meal!
How To Make Parsnip Puree?
Parsnip puree is a healthy meal for the youngest among us. The naturally sweet taste is perfect for babies.
Put a pan of water on with some salt. The parsnip should just be submerged. Wash and peel the parsnips as described above. Cut both ends of the parsnip and cut the parsnip into cubes. Cook the parsnips for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste to see if the parsnip is soft. It will be puree anyway, so cook gently.
When the parsnips are cooked, collect the water in a bowl while draining. Puree the parsnips with a stick blender and add some collected water each time. This way the vitamins get back into the dish. Add as much water as desired.
Season the parsnip puree with garlic powder and onion powder or just with salt and pepper. Just what is desired. Stir in a knob of vegetable butter for extra flavor.
How to Make Parsnip Chips?
The last way to prepare parsnips is parsnip chips.
Wash and cut the parsnips as described above. Cut both ends of the parsnip. Turn on a deep fryer at 160 degrees. Cut the parsnip into thin slices with a mandolin, a cheese slicer could also be used. When the fat is hot, fill the basket of the fryer one-third full with parsnips. Let the parsnips cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the parsnips from the fat and let them drain on a paper towel in a bowl. Repeat until the parsnip is used up.
Place the parsnips on a plate, add salt to your liking. Enjoy your meal!