How To Make Chickpea Flour?
How to make chickpea flour? To make chickpea flour: Put a quantity of chickpeas in your blender. Grind the chickpeas and wait until you see finely ground flour. Sieve out the flour and grind the rest of the chickpeas into flour again in the blender.
Frog meal is flour made from dried chickpeas. You can make it yourself, but you can also buy it ready-made at the organic store or Toko. Chickpeas are rock hard when dried. If you want to grind them into flour yourself, a sturdy blender is recommended. But how do you make that, chickpea flour?
It is a job to make chickpea flour yourself. You can also buy it, just as easily. But it’s always nice to give it a try. Chickpeas are also used to make hummus. Are you curious how you can make this yourself, check out our blog ‘ How to Make Hummus? And Much More ‘.
How To Make Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour is made in a blender, but it also works fine in a sturdy coffee grinder! If you have a small grinder and it is made of thin plastic, I advise you not to do this. This grinder is not suitable for grinding chickpeas.
Chickpeas are rock hard and hit hard against the plastic, which could cause it to tear. So you really need a good and sturdy blender. A large food processor is also not good. Especially not if you want to make little flour. Many peas then remain at the bottom and cannot be ground because the mixing bowl is simply too large.
- Measure the weight of the chickpeas (how many you need) and put them in the blender.
- Grind the chickpeas into flour. Sift the flour and let the large chunks of chickpeas whiz one more round in the blender until floured.
- Grind the last bit of chickpeas into flour. To be sure, strain out the last bits of chickpeas.
Replace Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour can replace a number of products, but this flour can also be a standalone ingredient that you can use to make tasty things or to thicken soups and sauces.
Chickpea flour can replace a number of products. These are:
- Wheat Flour: Chickpea flour is gluten-free.
- Eggs: Chickpea flour can replace eggs in, for example, quiche or pancakes. But also in cakes. Then use 3 tablespoons of chickpea flour mixed with 3 tablespoons of water, as a replacement for 1 egg.
- Meat: Chickpea flour is, among other things, high in protein and contains iron and a number of B vitamins. It also contains many minerals. You can use it as a full-fledged meat substitute, but they are also delicious as vegetables, for example.
- Flour: Chickpea flour can replace flour. The whole pea is ground into flour.
- Binders: Chickpea flour can also serve as a binding agent in soups and sauces (instead of cornstarch, for example)
Chickpea flour Gluten-free
I can be very brief about that, yes. Chickpea flour is gluten-free, which is why it is used to make gluten-free flour. Below are 3 products that you can make with chickpea flour and are therefore gluten-free.
Baking With Chickpea Flour
For example, what can you bake from chickpea flour:
- flat bread
- Pizza Bottom
There are plenty of options for baking anything with chickpea flour.
Instead of making flour from chickpeas, you can also just prepare it for your evening dish. You can read how you can do all that in our blog ‘ How to Prepare Chickpeas? ‘ and you put a delicious dish on the table.
Below I give a number of basic recipes for making dough or batter.
Pancakes With Chickpea Flour
Batter for pancake flour with a rest time of 30 minutes:
- 300 grams chickpea flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 500ml water
- Olive oil
- Sunflower oil for baking
- Optional herbs such as rosemary or Italian herbs.
- Put the chickpea flour in a bowl and add salt, stir well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and stir well.
- Now add all the water, little by little and stir with a whisk to a thin batter, thinner than ‘regular’ pancake flour.
- Let the batter rest. Please take 30 to 60 minutes for this. You can even make this batter the day before and store it in the fridge. Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap.
How do you make such a delicious pancake from chickpea flour?
- If necessary, skim the foam away from the batter and bake the pancakes as usual.
- Add a little oil to the pan and let it get hot.
- Then put a little batter in the pan and let the batter run over the whole pan.
- When the batter dries you will see holes in the pancake. Then look under the pancake to see if it is already well browned. Then turn the pancake over (with a lid on the pan if necessary) and let it slide back into the pan.
- When this side is also brown, you can remove the pancake from the pan. Place the pancakes on a plate.
- You can put a plate on a pan of hot water on the heat source and place the pancakes on it. Then put a lid on the pancakes. That way they stay warm.
You can even add all kinds of herbs to your pancakes, such as thyme, rosemary or Italian herbs. Just what you like.
Chickpea Flour Bread
To bake this flatbread (Farinata) with chickpea flour, there are a number of things you need to know. The dough is thinner than ‘regular’ bread and you don’t add baking powder or yeast.
What do you need:
- 100 grams chickpea flour
- 250ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 or 2 tbsp Herbs (rosemary, thyme, Italian herbs or chives)
How do you make chickpea flour bread?
Set the oven to 180 degrees:
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl and add the salt. Stir this well .
- Now you can add the water, little by little and stir it into a dough. The dough is thinner than that of ‘regular’ bread.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit for half an hour.
- After the rest time, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and any herbs you like.
- Mix all this together well.
- Take a baking tin or cake tin where you can put the dough. The batter must be at least 1 cm long or it will not become bread. Lightly grease the tin with olive oil.
- Place the dough in the baking pan and place it in the center of the oven.
- Leave it in the oven for about 20 minutes, see if it’s already browned, otherwise put the tin a little higher in the oven for the last 5 to 6 minutes. See for yourself if you think it’s brown enough.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before removing it from the tin.
Chickpea Flour Pizza
To make a delicious pizza you can take the following ingredients.
- 130 grams chickpea flour
- 240ml cold water
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- one crushed garlic
- 1 tsp salt
What can you do to make this delicious pizza crust:
- Turn on the oven at 180 degrees.
- Mix the chickpea flour and water well with a whisk.
- Add the Italian herbs and salt and pepper.
- If you have a pizza pan you can use it, but a large baking pan is also possible. Put a baking paper in it and cut it to size.
- Put the dough in the pan or baking pan and put it in the oven.
- After about 15 minutes you remove the pizza base and make a real pizza from it, for example tomato sauce, onions, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and nutritional yeast or vegetable cheese from Violife for example).
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake the topping for about 10 minutes.
- In terms of times, make sure that one oven is not the other. If you think it gets too dark quickly, take the pizza out of course.
Enjoy your meal!