Goose Meat: How to Cook? What are the Benefits?
The goose, which is a bird species belonging to the duck family, has large white or gray colored and webbed feet. Geese, which generally live in their natural habitats in North America, Europe and Asia, are found especially in Kars and Ardahan provinces in our country.
The bird species, which has an average lifespan of 30 years, is mostly produced for its meat, but its feathers are used in the manufacture of items such as coats, pillows and quilts. Winter clothes designed using goose feathers are both light and warm.
Geese that cannot survive in closed areas are fed by spreading in open areas. Therefore, they are healthier and more nutritious than other poultry meats.
Goose meat festival is organized by Istanbul Küçükçekmece Municipality in order to encourage the consumption of goose meat in Turkey and to support the survival of local tastes, and goose meat dishes are offered to the guests at the festival.
How to Cook Goose Meat?
- Goose meat can be cooked by boiling and roasting in the oven. The goose purchased or cut for boiling goose in a pot is thoroughly washed and cut from the wing and thigh areas.
- The inner and outer parts of the cut goose are salted with coarse salt and left to rest in the refrigerator for 2 days. This process ensures the flavor of the goose meat.
- The waiting goose is washed in order to get rid of salt, and it is placed in a large pot and cooked on low heat until the meat is tender by adding water until the tops are covered.
- So, how to eat goose meat? The goose in the pot is taken out and cut into pieces. It can be served with goose meat, which is made with soup or rice with the remaining goose broth. For goose in the oven, the cut goose should be salted and rested for 2 days in the refrigerator or in an airy place.
- At the end of 2 days, goose meat is cleaned with a napkin and salt is removed. It is kept at room temperature for several hours.
- The oven is heated to 160 degrees and pierced in several places with a goose needle or a sharp knife. In the drilling process, only the skin of the goose needs to be pierced. It is ensured that the goose meat is not damaged as much as possible.
- Well, in how many hours does goose meat cook? Spices such as salt, black pepper and red pepper are added to a deep frying pan and the goose is cooked in the oven for about an hour. At the end of this period, the goose is turned inside out and cooked for 1 more hour. The goose, which is cooked for approximately 2 hours, is left in the oven for 30-45 minutes by reducing the oven temperature to 135 degrees.
- Goose meat, which is softened and fried, is taken out of the oven and is ready to be served.
- Goose meat, which is one of the dishes that Kars cuisine cannot give up in winter, becomes a guest on the table after cooking for a long time. In fact, a gentle cooking method is used to cook goose meat softly. Goose meat, which is cooked slowly in a tandoor or in a tin or even on a tray, is ready to eat when it reaches the consistency of separating strings.
- The best accompaniment of goose meat, which has a special place in Kars tables, is bulgur pilaf cooked with goose meat juice.
- It is very difficult to cook goose meat in a short time.
- Even goose meat cooked in a pressure cooker should be cooked for at least 1 hour. When the wire comes to the point of separation, you can prepare a meal using goose meat.
- Since the nutritional value of goose meat cooked with the lid closed will pass into its water, you should definitely use this water in other dishes or soups.
- Goose meat, which is a type of meat rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, will heal you and your family.
Goose Meat Protein, Calorie and Nutritional Value
- Goose meat, which stands out with its nutritious value, contains high protein. 100 grams of goose meat meets almost half of the daily protein requirement of an adult.
- Goose meat, which is rich in vitamins such as complex B vitamins, vitamin E and vitamin A, also contains minerals that are of great importance for health such as selenium, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus.
- Goose meat is also rich in calories. A serving of goose meat, which is a very fatty bird, contains approximately 31 grams of fat, 35 grams of protein and 427 calories per 140 grams. Goose meat, which has a healthier fat content compared to other animal fats, is very useful for children in the growth and development period due to its high nutritional value.
- 100 grams of goose fat contains about 32 grams of saturated fat, 55 grams of monounsaturated fat and 11 grams of polyunsaturated fat. Since it contains an average of 58% oleic acid, it is considered healthier than other animal fats.
- Well, is goose meat delicious, how is goose meat? Goose meat, which is described as heavy because it has a very fatty meat, is generally suitable for consumption in the winter months.
- It has a unique taste and aroma. Due to its high protein, vitamin and fat content, it is thought to increase the body’s resistance against some diseases and is recommended for consumption by weakened bodies.
What are the Benefits of Goose Meat?
- Goose meat is a food with high protein value. Thanks to this feature, it helps to repair damaged body cells and to form new cell tissues. It also supports the transport of oxygen to the tissues with the blood.
- Antioxidant vitamins and minerals in its content help to remove toxins from the body.
- It supports the body’s immune system and protects against diseases.
- Poly and monounsaturated fatty acids in its content reduce LDL, which is defined as bad cholesterol, and have a regulating effect on total cholesterol.
- Thanks to the calcium in its content, it provides a healthy bone and tooth development.
- Vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, zinc and selenium in its meat have an aphrodisiac effect that increases sexual performance.
- Goose meat, which is a rich source of B-complex vitamins, helps the nervous system, circulatory system and digestive system work regularly.
- However, as with every food item, it is among the harms of goose meat that it causes weight gain due to its high fat content.
How to Store and Dry Goose Meat?
- Before the geese are slaughtered, they must reach a certain maturity and their meat must bind with fat. Therefore, the goose is slaughtered in late autumn or early winter.
- The feathered geese are ironed and salted with plenty of salt. The salted geese are hung on a rope and left to dry in cold air for about 10 days. Dried geese can be cut into pieces and stored in the freezer. When goose meat is kept salted, it becomes more delicious.
- One of the most frequently asked questions about goose meat is whether goose meat is halal. There is no religious obstacle in eating goose meat.
Where Is Goose Meat Sold? Price information
- Goose meat is found in our country, especially in the provinces of Kars and Ardahan. Apart from these, it is possible to come across geese in almost every village.
- Goose meat can be found in large shopping malls, organic food stores, and companies selling organic goose meat online.
- The price of a kilogram of goose meat varies between 70 lira and 100 lira. The average price of goose meat differs according to the season, whether it is organic or not and the amount.
- Local companies selling goose meat online or large shopping sites can be used to order goose meat.
- Goose meat buyers generally prefer companies that market and sell goose meat over the internet. Goose meat export has an important place in Hungary’s economy. In our country, fed geese are consumed within the borders of the country.