What is Enamel? How to Use, Is It Healthy?
What is Enamel? Recently, the variety of kitchen utensils encourages people to shop. The variety of plates and glasses of all colors and models will make people fall in love with them at first sight. After matt, porcelain, ceramic, metal and steel, a new one has been added to these products: enamel products.
Remember, when you go to village houses or the houses of elders during the holidays, you will see pots, pans and even plates with flowers on white, these products are enamel kitchen products that were the fashion of the old times. Undoubtedly, the delicious taste of village yoghurts is due to enamelled copper. From which coffee device can you enjoy the taste of coffee cooked in embers or enameled coffee pots on the stove?
Don’t look at what we call old time. Even now, enamel elegance is among the sine qua non of the kitchen. When you take a glance at the cabinets, we can say that there is hardly a house where you will not see a flower-patterned enamel pot set .
Well, what are the products we call enamel, have you ever thought? Here, in this article that smells of nostalgia, we have examined enamel products for you. Get ready for the article that will take you back to your childhood days. Here we go.
What is Enamel?
- Let’s enlighten those who are wondering what is enamel and what is the origin of the word. Enamel is actually a coating material from which glass is processed, and enamel means that which is coated with enamel.
- Enamel is a coating material from Ancient Greece. It was used in jewelry and ornaments at that time.
- Today, enamel is used in every field.
- This coating can be found in any product you can think of, such as kitchen products, pots, pans, coffee pots, trays.
- Every product covered and protected with a substance called enamel is called enamel. Enamel, on the other hand, is a substance formed by the combination of various metal oxides.
- Anyone who sees enamel products yearns for a moment to the old days. Mothers and fathers immediately begin to tell about the days of Ramadan in their youth.
- They say that the era has changed and that there is a wide variety of kitchen products now. Sweet memories of the past are hidden in enamel products.
Is Enamel Healthy?
- It is your natural right to be selective when purchasing kitchen products. Considering the harm that plastic products cause to both nature and health, it would be a better decision to buy the healthiest products.
- When buying enamel products that smell both stylish and nostalgic, you may think, “Is enamel harmful?”
- Enamel teapots and enamel plates that will accompany you at your table are not harmful for you as long as they are not scratched.
- When scratched and excessively worn, it can become harmful as the components inside will come into contact with the food.
- If the enamel pot is scratched or cracked, it is unfortunately not possible to repair it, so it is useful to be careful when using it.
- Although there are alternative methods such as enamel pot repair paste, it is not easy to reach experts for application. Therefore, the best thing to do is to take care that there are no scratches.
- Of course, we recommend you to use wooden spoons for long-lasting enamel products. As long as you cook your meals with wooden spoons, enamel pots and enameled household utensils will last longer.
How to Use Enamel Teapots and Pots?
- Enamel types are of two types: cast iron enamel and enamel on metal. The duration of use of these two types is different. Before using the enamel for the first time, it should be washed with hot water and detergent.
- For long-lasting enamelware, you should be careful not to scratch the products. The use of enamel requires some care, but if used carefully, it maintains its durability for a long time.
- For delicious and healthy meals, enamel cookware can be your choice. Using a wooden spoon while cooking in your pots will not wear out your pot. In addition, the enamel pot can be stored in the refrigerator. It does not give off the smell. It does not smell from the outside. Because of these features, the answer to the question of whether enamel products are healthy is yes.
- During cooking, you should be careful not to expose it to high heat suddenly. If you increase your temperature step by step, there will be no burning situation. At the same time, if you turn off your food 10 minutes in advance, you can cook more delicious meals in an enamel pot with its iron. The enamel pot can be easily thrown into the dishwasher for cleaning.
- The answer to the question of whether the enamel sticks is yes, if the dishes you cook are not juicy, there is a high probability of sticking.
- Well, if you were to ask what to do in an enamel pot ; Enamel pots and containers are mostly suitable for storing ready meals and reheating juicy dishes. You can also choose enamel as a frying pan.
- Enamel teapots can be used just like classical steel teapots in tea pleasures. In cases where it is used continuously, stains may occur due to the effect of heat. You can clean these stains by mixing baking soda with olive oil and wiping them with a cloth. Enamelware that is suitable for scratching requires more careful use. Another cleaning method is to lightly clean the surface with ash. You can see that it is cleaned when you keep the ash on the darkened surface for a while.
- After prolonged use, scale will form. You can remove limescale with lemon salt.
- What you need to do is throw a tablespoon of lemon salt and boil it with some water. After these processes, enamel teapots will now be at your home with the newness of the first day.
Enamel Products and Features
- Enamel products , which remind us of our mothers’ youth, remain popular.
- There are enameled teapots for your tea conversations, enameled sugar bowls that are not missing from the table of those who cannot drink tea without sugar, enameled plates and pots for your presentations, strainers and deep bowls that will make it easier for you to cook, and pots for your delicious legumes meals.
- You can see enamel products not only with tableware, but also in your durable household appliances, indispensable winter stoves and plumbing materials.
- Enamel sink types used in the kitchen of almost every house are competing with marble sinks.
- When you add accessories to the usage areas, you can see that enamel products appear in every area of your life.
- Even in luxury cafes, enamelware adorns the presentations. When you want to drink a coffee, you can tell how elegant and nostalgic the presentation is when they bring it to you on an enamel tray.
- The enameled spice rack, which is located in the most beautiful corner of your kitchen to flavor your meals, is among the indispensable enamel household appliances such as bamboo products.
How Is Enamel Made?
- The substance called enamel gives shine to the floor on which it is used and has a protective feature.
- More than one mineral oxides are added to the frit and enamel is obtained.
- Materials coated with enamel are also known by everyone as enamel.
- To obtain the enamel material, silicon, soda, borax, lead oxide and coloring metal oxides are combined.
- This is the content of the enamel known from plates and pots of ancient times. When you look, you can only see a shiny metal. But after these metal oxides are pulverized and passed through high heat, they are ready for the products you use.
- Metal oxides, which pass through heat and melting processes , pass through the stages necessary for enamel production and come to your kitchen and every area of your home.
- Recently popular enamel home appliances also allow a new hobby.
- With the enamel paint produced by paint companies, you can make your old items look like enamel.
- Instead of throwing away your souvenirs, you can turn them into a brand new product by applying enamel paint .
How to Clean Enamel Cooker?
- Since it is used more in the kitchen, stoves are a kitchen element that is more polluted than other products. Oil drips, water stains remain, sometimes the food overflows. However, these spots are noticeable.
- As every job is easy, we will offer you an easy way for enamel cooker cleaning . Just as it is applied for other enamelware, you can keep your stoves clean with baking soda and olive oil.
- With the help of a damp cloth, apply the baking soda and olive oil mixture to the surface of the stove and rub it gently.
- Then clean the surface thoroughly with a damp cloth. Your brighter and cleaner cooktops will be ready for your next meal.
- You can clean the enamel stove in a shorter time by applying the chemical cleaning products that you can find in every market according to the instructions for use.
- Now there are cleaning products for every product and surface at very affordable prices. You can also try these products.
- Since they are chemical products, we recommend that you take care to clean them in a way that prevents their contact with food.