Can you freeze rutabagas?
Can you freeze rutabagas? Yes, rutabagas freeze very well, so feel free to freeze leftovers to enjoy later. You can freeze them raw or cooked.
How to freeze raw rutabagas?
This first method is the most restrictive because it involves quite a lot of preparation work. Indeed, you cannot freeze entirely raw rutabagas; you have to blanch them first. If you try to freeze rutabagas without blanching them, you may see them lose all their consistency and become mushy. If you’re willing to do the prep work, here’s how to freeze raw rutabagas:
- Cut your rutabagas into pieces and wash them.
- Fill a pot with water and put it to boil on the stove. While the water comes to a boil, fill a bowl with cold water. You can use pre-chilled water or water with ice cubes. Put the bowl next to the stove. You will also need a colander nearby. When the water boils, add the pieces of rutabaga and let them boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not simmer too long; you don’t want to cook the Bru choux, just blanch it. Drain the rutabaga pieces in the colander, then immediately plunge them into cold water. Drain the rutabaga pieces and let them dry.
- You are now ready to freeze them! To get the best possible result, you will still have to put in a little effort. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the rutabaga pieces so they don’t overlap. This step is to prevent the rutabaga pieces from sticking together during freezing.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer for several hours, then take it out of the freezer and transfer the rutabaga pieces to a freezer bag.
- Label the freezer bag with the date and store it in the freezer.
How to freeze cooked rutabagas?
Cooked rutabagas freeze very well and you have the choice of cooking method. This method is suitable for boiled, sautéed, pureed or steamed rutabagas.
- Cook your rutabagas according to the cooking method of your choice. Let them cool completely.
- Get freezer bags and label them with contents and date. Put a portion of cooked rutabagas in each bag. Expel as much air as possible before closing the bags.
- Put the bags in the freezer.
How long do rutabagas last in the freezer?
Rutabagas, raw or cooked, will keep for about 8 to 10 months in the freezer. Just be aware that the longer they stay in the freezer, the more likely they are to degrade and lose flavor.
How to defrost rutabagas?
Rutabagas can be thawed in different ways. You can let them thaw slowly in the refrigerator or speed up the process by putting them in the microwave. You can even cook or reheat them directly without defrosting them first.
Can you refreeze rutabagas?
It is not recommended to refreeze rutabagas once they have thawed. Their texture changes with each new freezing and they will lose a lot of their interest.