Can Breastfeeding Mothers Fast?
Can Breastfeeding Mothers Fast ? Many people who will fast before the month of Ramadan began to research what they had in mind about fasting. New mothers, on the other hand , are wondering if a nursing mother can fast or if fasting people can breastfeed.
If you want to learn how breastfeeding mothers should eat while fasting or if breastfeeding mothers can fast , this article is for you.
Here are the hadiths of breastfeeding mothers to fast and the statements made by the Presidency of Religious Affairs on this issue.
Can Breastfeeding Mothers Fast?
- We have prepared this article to give the most accurate answer to mothers who are wondering if breastfeeding mothers can fast during Ramadan . Because many mothers wonder about the effect of breastfeeding and fasting during Ramadan.
- Mothers who wonder how breastfeeding mothers should follow if they fast or not, will find the answers they are looking for in this article.
- Can a breastfeeding mother fast? It is one of the most frequently asked questions to the Presidency of Religious Affairs these days. The statement of the Presidency of Religious Affairs is as follows:
“One of the valid excuses for not fasting during Ramadan is pregnancy or breastfeeding. Pregnant or lactating women may not fast if they are afraid of harming themselves or their children. In a way, they are like sick people, and there are hadiths that give them this license (Nesai, Sıyâm, 51, 62; İbn Mâce, Sıyâm, 12).
A pregnant and breastfeeding woman can fast if she can bear it herself and the child will not be affected. It would be appropriate to consult a doctor who is an expert in this field. Women who cannot fast due to legitimate reasons such as pregnancy and breastfeeding, make up for this fast at other times when conditions are favorable (Merğînânî, al-Hidaye, II, 269).
If a Breastfeeding Mother Fasts, Will Her Milk Reduce?
Mothers who hold their babies in their new arms wonder if the breast milk will decrease if the nursing mother fasts . We will give a lot of information to our mothers who are eagerly waiting for the answer to the question of whether the breast milk will decrease if the breastfeeding mother fasts . Here are the details on this subject:
- Breastfeeding does not break the fast. No matter how old the baby is, this situation does not change. It is the things that enter the body that break the fast. While the baby is breastfeeding, milk comes out of the body, so the fast does not break.
- However, breastfeeding mothers may not fast. In order not to face a situation such as starvation or malnutrition of the baby, breastfeeding mothers may not fast during Ramadan and may make up for this fast later on.
- In the researches, there is no clear information that the amount of milk is definitely affected by thirst or hunger.
- However, it has been observed that insomnia, thirst, hunger and fatigue can affect the amount of milk in some people.
- Excessive dehydration of the body negatively affects body functions. Balanced body functions are very important for milk production.
- Also, it’s not just the amount of milk that matters. The content structure of the milk is also very important. The minerals in breast milk are very important for the healthy growth of the baby.
- One of the main reasons for the opinions about breastfeeding mothers not to fast is that the content structure of milk can change while fasting.
- As a result of the researches, it has been observed that some vitamin values and minerals such as magnesium, zinc and potassium are affected by this situation in fasting mothers.
- Breast milk is the baby’s primary source of nutrients for the first 24 months. Changes in this essential food source are risky for the baby’s development. For this reason, mothers who cannot take this risk may not fast during Ramadan.
- In addition, the tired, hungry and thirsty mothers who have to take care of their baby all day and night can negatively affect the care of the baby.
- In order for the mother to take care of the baby in the best way, her energy should be high.
- In religious sources, there is no obligation to fast for pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.
- Mothers can make up for the fasts they could not keep in this blessed month later. Therefore, the breastfeeding mother should not be pressured in this regard.
- Can breastfeeding mothers fast? It is an issue announced by the Diyanet with official statements every year. Because every year, mothers wonder about this issue.
To summarize the issue of breastfeeding and fasting:
- Considering your own health and the health of the baby, you may not fast during breastfeeding.
- Religiously, there is no pressure or coercion on any mother in this regard.
- If you feel good; You can fast. However, you should not forget that since you will be hungry for a long time, the minerals in the structure of milk will be lost.
- You can keep the fasts that you can’t keep in Ramadan as an accident fast when you feel good.
If there is a nursing mother around and she wants to fast, you can briefly state the following information for her:
- If breastfeeding mothers have the strength to endure hunger during the day, there is no harm in fasting. However, there are some risks.
- The blood sugar of a fasting nursing mother may drop during the day. If he has a very sensitive body, low blood sugar can also cause fainting.
- Since there will be a small child with her, the nursing mother should always remain energetic and vigorous. Fasting can take its energy.
- There is no religious objection; However, there may be situations that threaten health.
- Women who want to continue breastfeeding and fast should be reminded in a sweet language that they can fast by accident at a more comfortable and appropriate time.