Benefits of Red Cabbage – Here Are 7 Features
Red cabbage is a type of cabbage that was consumed in ancient times and still takes its place in healthy nutrition aisles today. Each layer of leaves has unique benefits for your health. Mediterranean originThis vegetable, which is of , is effective for those who want to lose weight and those who want to take precautions against cancer. Among the red cabbage varieties, the most common type is purple in color in our country.
Red cabbage or purple cabbage; It is used deliciously from salad to detox water . In order to get to know this vegetable you consume better, we have created the red cabbage benefits agenda for you . Below you can find the best answers to the question of what are the benefits of red cabbage. At the end of this page, you can witness the flavors containing red cabbage that you will color your plates.
Benefits of Red Cabbage – Here Are 7 Features
1) Protects Eye Health
- Red cabbage contains substances that protect the eyes from UV rays that can harm the eyes.
- Thanks to the lutein substance, it removes the damaging rays of the sun from your body.
- In order to have strong and healthy eyes, it is recommended to consume red cabbage frequently in your kitchen.
2) Heart Friendly
- If you are wondering what the benefit of red cabbage can be, you can focus on its vibrant color and place its connection with the heart in your mind, in order to keep in mind that one of the answers, which is heart-friendly, is: )
- Protecting heart health at all times lays the foundations for a healthier future.
- Red cabbage, which has the effect of regulating blood pressure , protects you from heart diseases.
- Red cabbage, which ensures the formation and vitality of red blood cells, also performs a more regular heartbeat.
3) Eases Digestion
- Red cabbage is a vegetable that relaxes the stomach both with its salad and with its juice.
- Consisting of antioxidant substances, red cabbage also plays a role in easier digestion of food and prevents stomach diseases.
- There is no evidence on the harms of red cabbage, which comes to the fore with its benefits.
- When only salt is consumed, it can cause stomach bloating for a short time.
- Since the benefit of red cabbage in weight loss processes is also known by dietitians and experts, it is recommended for healthy eating routines.
4) Prevents Cancerous Cells
- Free radicals are cells that reproduce to create a cancerous environment.
- One way to prevent free radicals that cause cell membrane deterioration is to consume red cabbage.
- Red cabbage is a vegetable that fights free radicals and protects the body from these cells.
- You should not miss purple cabbage, which has a great effect on DNA repair, from your home.
- The benefits of red cabbage are also underlined by Osman Müftüoğlu. Müftüoğlu mentions that because red cabbage contains sulforaphane, it helps to protect from diseases and stay young.
5) Alleviates the Effects of Diabetes
- Among the benefits of red cabbage, it is easily preferred in the type of antidiabetes diet.
- Red cabbage controls blood sugar. It performs this task thanks to its natural insulin content.
- You can minimize the effects of diabetes with purple cabbage, which is one of the low-calorie foods.
- You can prevent sudden sugar drops and increases by adding red cabbage to your meals.
6) Supports Muscle and Bone Development
- You need vitamin K to keep your bones strong. You can meet this vitamin in a delicious way from red cabbage.
- With the salad and vegetable juice you will make with red cabbage, you can ensure that children have a healthier skeletal structure.
- Consumption of red cabbage by growing children eliminates the risk of osteoporosis in later ages.
- As it strengthens muscles and bones, red cabbage also meets the need for B12 . Thus, mental development is also supported.
- The benefits of red cabbage are multiplied by the fact that it is rich in B12. Although the benefits of vitamin B12 are being discovered more and more each day, its effect on depression and anemia is known.
7) Relieves Upper Airway
- Especially in winter, the benefits of red cabbage become more important because this vegetable strengthens the health of the upper respiratory tract.
- You can easily get rid of infectious diseases with red cabbage.
- If you consume purple cabbage juice during your cough days; You can get rid of the phlegm problem from your body.
- It will also be beneficial in case of throat and nasal congestion thanks to its antioxidant effect and will clean the respiratory tract.
Red Cabbage Calories and Nutritional Information
Red cabbage is one of the low-calorie foods. Are you wondering what minerals are in this vegetable that you can easily consume at home? Here is the calorie and nutritional value chart of red cabbage:
- 175 grams of red cabbage: 63 calories
- 320 grams of red cabbage: 115 calories
- 1 serving of red cabbage: 54 calories
Nutritional values for 100 grams of red cabbage:
- 6.99 grams of Carbs
- 0.52 grams of Protein
- 0.21 grams Fat
- 1.96 grams of Fiber
- 17mg Sodium
- 268mg Potassium
- 43mg Calcium
- 174 iu of vitamin A
- 66.4 mg of vitamin C
- 0.29 grams of Iron
Does Red Cabbage Lose Weight?
The power of antioxidants in weight loss is indisputable. So, does red cabbage, which is an antioxidant vegetable, also help to lose weight? Let’s evaluate the comments:
- Among the benefits of red cabbage for diets is its low calorie content, but also its high nutritional content.
- Red cabbage contains dietary fiber. It can be consumed without salt and oil in salads.
- Red cabbage has a diuretic effect. Thus, the metabolic rate increases.
- It is recommended to prepare and consume red cabbage in the form of vegetable juice, as it has very low calories.
- The colorful drink of diet snacks can be red cabbage juice.
How to Store Red Cabbage?
- In the refrigerator: You can chop the red cabbage each time and put it directly in the refrigerator to use it. It is recommended to peel the outer leaves one by one to get as much as you need. Thus, red cabbage will decrease from the outside to the inside.
- Pickling: You can preserve the red cabbage for a longer time with the brine method. You can add it to salads by taking spoonfuls whenever you want. Since the price of red cabbage will change according to the seasons, you can buy it on days when it is cheap and make it in brine.
Red Sauerkraut Tricks – 4 Flavor Secrets
If you take a look at the following tips before making pickled red sauerkraut; your pickles can be legendary:
- It is recommended to use rock salt to prevent the purple sauerkraut from spoiling .
- If vinegar and water are used in equal measure , your sauerkraut will be just right.
- The lid of the glass jar you will store must be tightly closed . The airy red sauerkraut starts to deteriorate in a short time.
- Finally, you need to keep the prepared purple sauerkraut in the refrigerator . With these 4 information, you can get restaurant style pickled red cabbage.