Anemone Flower: Meaning, Care, Cultivation
With sepals resembling elegant, thin tulle umbrellas, anemone can be in different colors such as red, purple, blue, pink, and white. Some flowers also have several different tones consisting of soft transitions of these colors.
Among the features of an anemone flower is that it is much easier to care for than many different flowers. Growing it in warm climates and lightly shaded areas is enough to preserve the vitality of the plant. If you like butterflies, you will be happy that anemone has a butterfly attractive feature.
If taken good care of, the plant can grow to an average length of 45 cm. Soon after the leaves begin to form, the flowers begin to appear.
What is Anemone Flower?
- The anemone flower is in the group of plants, which is one of the most beautiful and natural ways to color areas with its pleasant flowers and colorful structure.
- It can be used in the pharmaceutical industry, oil industry, as an alternative herbal solution for respiratory diseases, by adding it to bath water for skin disorders. However, since there are studies showing that excessive amounts of the plant can be toxic, it is recommended to be used with caution.
- In the plant kingdom, the genus Anemone is a member of the Ranunculaceae (buttercup) family. There is information that there are 60-120 species.
Anemone Flower Meaning and Story
- Anemone, which means mountain tulip in French, is the daughter of the wind with the effect of its shape in Greek.
- In our country, it is also known as mountain tulip, crowned field tulip, rose tulip, and windflower.
- The story of anemone flower, which can grow spontaneously in natural environments, forests, and mountains, is also interesting. According to Greek mythology, because the king’s daughter could not believe in gods completely, the goddess of Aphrodite punished her and the girl’s father unwittingly was with her. When her father realizes this, he is forced to kill her, the gods are sorry for her condition and turn her into an anemone instead of killing her.
- Anemone flower, also known as mountain tulip in Turkey, symbolizes youth and freshness, especially in Greek culture and elsewhere.
- In addition, in the language of sailors, the words anemone and peony have the same meaning. When you think of anemones, divers and submarine enthusiasts think of anemones that live in deep waters. In some regions, these creatures are also called sea roses due to their plant-like structures.
How to Grow Anemone Flower?
- In Turkey, anemone flowers are mostly grown in the Aegean and Mediterranean regions. In the world, this flower, which likes mild weather, is seen in the northern regions. There are more blonde varieties of anemone flowers in our country.
- Anemones are produced from onions or tubers. From these new seedlings are formed. Planting is done in September by leaving the necessary space between the claws. If the weather is dry, it is sufficient to water 1-2 times on average. It is grown in temperate places.
- Growing anemone from seed is also an easy method of growing. For this, the month of March is preferred.
- If you are wondering when anemone blooms, it usually blooms in the spring, but this may differ according to planting and care characteristics.
Anemone Flower Care and Tips
Anemone flower does not need special care when it grows in nature; however, some points may need to be considered when greenhouse production is made.
The perennial anemone plant is among the frequently preferred ornamental plants with its effortless care. We can list the tricks you need to pay attention to anemone care as follows:
- Plant anemone in moist areas and soils.
- Growing and caring for anemone flowers should also be in warm areas as much as possible.
- They do not like cold regions. It is recommended to cover it with straw in cold times.
- Anemones that love to be watered grow stronger in gardens. They also don’t like overwatering. You can adjust the density according to the dryness of the root part soil.
- If weeds are forming at the bottom of the anemone flower, they must be cleaned.
- Although there is no special fertilizer need, you can fertilize if you feel the plant is weakening. It may be good to prefer liquid fertilizer, especially when it is blooming.
- When there is an insect problem, you need to take special medicines from flower care places.
- They grow better where they can get as much sunlight as possible.
- It is a plant that usually does not need pruning.
- Caution should be exercised in homes with small children and pets, as it may have a toxic effect if eaten.